Tracking Flight Officer Promotions in eServices

Started by Always Ready, February 26, 2009, 09:06:07 PM

Always Ready

Following the update to the Member Search Application, I took it upon myself to compliment the eServices' Support Team via the Helpdesk on the outstanding job they did with the new utility (and reported a few bugs). I then asked if there was any plans to track Flight Officer promotions in eServices. After trading a few e-mails clarifying the promotion process and answering the big question 'why?' (my answer: to give more credibility to the grade), it seemed that things were going well. I was finally given the last word (for now):

QuoteI asked about this and was told in the past there was not that many folks involved nor enough interest to create something Nationally.

1. How can National know how many Flight Officers there are if they don't track those promotions? Do they just assume?
2. I understand their thinking, but we now recognize Cadet grade promotions at the National level. Why not Flight Officer promotions?

I really understand their point of view but I believe if National makes an effort to recognize the grades better, then it may encourage a few Cadets to stick around and transition to SM. Right now, Flight Officers are treated like older Cadets or baby Senior Members. While being the junior may not change, it will help educate people on the grades and add more credibility. Most of the members of my current squadron had never heard of a Flight Officer before I transferred in. Personally, I see this as a set back but I will keep pushing my chain of command to make a bigger deal out of this. After all, National now can track Cadet promotions. Why not Flight Officer promotions?

Pingree1492

Quote from: Always Ready on February 26, 2009, 09:06:07 PM
1. How can National know how many Flight Officers there are if they don't track those promotions? Do they just assume?
2. I understand their thinking, but we now recognize Cadet grade promotions at the National level. Why not Flight Officer promotions?

To answer #1: all they have to do is look at how many senior members there are between the ages of 18 and 21.  Isn't hard to do.

#2: I'm not a programmer or anything, but it would seem to be relatively trivial to insert a Personnel function similar to the one we're now using for cadets.  However, that function has a LONG way to go before it approaches completely useful, so if we're looking at priorities, that's where I want National spending it's time.  I'm sure this feature will come along eventually, there's just more important changes that need to be made right now.
On CAP Hiatus- the U.S. Army is kindly letting me play with some of their really cool toys (helicopters) in far off, distant lands  :)

Always Ready

I was being sarcastic with the number one...I should have put that in there.  ;) Plus, most of the people my age don't want to deal with the hassle of getting promoted so they just stay SM until they turn 21. I <sarcasm>sadly</sarcasm> have had commanders who think I need to promote and further my professional development  ::)

The guy I talked to thought it was a good idea and said it would take no time at all to do. It looks like the MAN nixed it though.

Quick question: Slightly off topic...do they track NCO (prior/current military) promotions in eServices? If they do, what's the difference? Based on my experience, it would be a similarly sized population. If they don't, then why not?

RiverAux

Hmm, they went to all the "trouble" of allowing CAP NCO ranks to be seen and there are supposedly only about 50-75 of them in CAP.  I bet we have way more flight officers.

Cecil DP

Actually not tracking FO and under 21 SM's allows you to finesse the system. As long as that member completes the PD requirements National and Wing have no idea of that person's grade so I could theoretically promote a member to SFO even if he only completed all the requirements in a 2 month period as long as the time in service is correct.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

RogueLeader

Quote from: Cecil DP on February 26, 2009, 11:14:17 PM
Actually not tracking FO and under 21 SM's allows you to finesse the system. As long as that member completes the PD requirements National and Wing have no idea of that person's grade so I could theoretically promote a member to SFO even if he only completed all the requirements in a 2 month period as long as the time in service is correct.

True, but they'd kick back the promotion to Capt when they see that SFO Doe hasn't been in long enough.  You need to have a copy of the 2A to SFO make either 1 LT if under 18 months or Capt for over.  For the couple that I've dealt with, nat wanted all three.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340