Main Menu

bird strikes

Started by cap235629, January 28, 2009, 06:48:38 AM

stratoflyer

QuoteInsert Quote
I've had several in 35+ years but the absolutely most memorable one was at 9000' over RDU one dark night, hard IFR and about 11:30pm.  Whatever it was came through the prop of our C-177 Cardinal and then to the right side of the windscreen.   Part of him came inside with blood and crap everywhere.  When I finally landed, I couldn't tell who left more poop inside the plane, him or me.

Hey, at least you landed. Dirty, but landed.

"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

SJFedor

Quote from: hatentx on January 29, 2009, 05:39:53 AM
is it bird strike pictures that you want?????  These are all helos, during my last deployment, Bird in a rocket pod.  was there about 3 days man it smelled

In the second picture what you cant see is the blood trail from the front of the Aircraft all the way past the engine... needless to say we had to replace a few things

That second one, it looks like the bird hit dead center on the wire cutter.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Dutchboy

Quote from: cap235629 on January 28, 2009, 06:48:38 AM
Making it's way around Arkansas Wing

Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 9:47 AM
        To: Undisclosed-Recipient:;
        Subject: Baptist Bird Strike

All,

Saturday evening Baptist Med-Flight departed Memphis enroute back to Little Rock without a patient.  Med Flight struck a flock of birds around the Forrest City area and made an emergency landing.  The pilot suffered some minor injuries and everyone was shaken up.  Attached are the pictures from the incident and the associated damages that occurred to their aircraft.  Med-Flight does not wear helmets and the crew is lucky the pilot's vision remained intact to land the aircraft.

I don't know how many actually keep their visor screen down during all operations, but the following pictures may change your thoughts.  Please note the debris patterns that transitioned into the patient compartment of the aircraft.

I highly encourage the practice of visors down during all operations and these pictures are the reasons why.

Be safe.
medflight 1
medflight 2
medflight 3
medflight 4
medflight 5
medflight 6
medflight 7
medflight 8
medflight 9
medflight 10
medflight 11
medflight 12
medflight 13
medflight 14
medflight 15
medflight 16

Talk about a bad day

The pictures are not there. says you have to login to a yahoo account.

JAFO78

When my dad worked for the old Republic Airlines, they had a plane hit a Canadian Goose. Went through the wind screen Captain's side. He was hit in face. Co-pilot landed plane. Pilot lost an eye. Plane was Convair 580 turboprop. Same engine as C-130.

While I worked at Sun Country a plane sucked a goose through right engine coming in over Minnesota River valley on final. I saw red on engine nose cowl. only damage was to E.N.C. mechanics pulled plane out of service, washed remains from engine & right side of plane, replaced E.N.C, and bore scoped the engine. Plane out for 3 days.

The engine smelled like fish. Pilots felt thud, but engine gauges showed all systems good.
JAFO

bosshawk

Not a personal experience for me but I'll relate it anyway, because it is indicative and really funny.

Seems an OV-1 Mohawk was operating out of Ft. Huachuca, AZ on a night training flight with a new systems operator in the right seat(either an IR or SLAR flight).  The new right seater was female , one of the first females that the Army put into the Mohawks.  While they were on their imaging run, a bird(not further identified) hit the air intake on the right front side of the nose.  The air intake is a straight pipe into the cockpit and the first that anyone knew about the bird strike was the remains of the bird impacting on the chest of the right seater, spraying blood, guts, feathers and everything else directly on that gal.  She started screaming and thrashing around in the ejection seat: got the Warrant Officer flying in a real sweat.  He yelled over the intercom for her not to touch anything, etc.

They returned to land and the gal unbuckled her harness, safed her seat, threw the hatch open and was last heard to yell something like: the Army can take their d------------ Mohawks and stick them.  She quit the program.  Apparently, the cockpit was a mess.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

NIN

During my tour in Korea (co-located with an MI Aerial Exploitation Bn flying Mohawks and Guardrails, Paul... Loved them OV-1s..), we occasionally got a contingent of Marines in for an exercise called "Bear Hunt."  We'd share our dinky hangar with them when they needed an overhead hoist or something. 

One day, I see a tug pulling a CH-46 into the AVIM company's hangar next to ours.  The whole center windshield is a spiderwebbed mess. 

"Holy cow!" several of us exclaim to the crewchief walking blades alongside the aircraft, "You hit a flock of birds or something?"

"Nah, " the chief says nonchalantly, "The pilot got pissed off at the radios and punched the windshield."

Only in the Marines.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.