Main Menu

Going for the Ham License

Started by ThorntonOL, January 17, 2009, 04:53:29 AM

wuzafuzz

The General Class license is next on my to-do list.  Although I'm more of a VHF/UHF kind of guy, learning more about HF operations can't hurt.  If only my HOA would allow antennas.  Some creative antennas will be needed!
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Major Lord

One of my friends suggested a giant antenna disguised as a statue of Obama.....No one in Northern CA could dare criticize it.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

brenaud

Quote from: wuzafuzz on February 11, 2009, 01:06:48 PM
The General Class license is next on my to-do list.  Although I'm more of a VHF/UHF kind of guy, learning more about HF operations can't hurt.  If only my HOA would allow antennas.  Some creative antennas will be needed!

You'd be amazed what will work.  I've managed some good contacts on HF with an 8' mag mount antenna on my car.
WILLIAM A. RENAUD, Lt Col, CAP
TNWG Director of Personnel & Administration
GRW #2699

drcomm

When I was in college, the parking lot backed up to the apartment I lived in.  I had a set of Hustler HF mobile resonators on my vehicle at the time.  I would drop a coax out the back window and to the vehicle.  It worked great.  I could work Europe, Africa, and South America on 20m with no problem.  I would speak to my ham friends back home in Houston on 40m and 75/80m also.  Don't rule out the small mobile antennas or hidden wire around the eave of the house or back fence.  They may not be optimum but they will work.
David Romere, Maj, CAP
Starbase Composite Squadron, SWR-OK-151
Oil Well 767
Mitchell Award #2536 (May 1981)
Amateur Radio Call Sign: KA5OWI

Major Lord

Man, it feels weird not having any more FCC tests to study for.....I am thinking about taking the elements 7 and 9 tests for the GMDSS system. I suppose if I really wanted to work hard, I could take the code tests for the commercial license. Mmmm, that would be hard......

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

BTCS1*

just started studying for my general, takin the test in a month and a half or 2.
-KC2ULR-
C/2d Lt. B. Garelick, CAP

DBlair

I got my Tech license back in 1994 and was pretty active in the local 2m scene for a while before getting out of it for several years. I've heard that 2m (and Ham Radio in general) has decreased in popularity from what it once was.

Is this true? Is 2m still active? Are there other bands that are pretty active as well? I'm thinking of going for my General, purchasing some new equipment, and perhaps getting into HF, but was curious if any of the Hams here had any thoughts or suggestions.

N2ZJM
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

Major Lord

I think that Ham radio is as popular as ever! A lot of people specialize in certain things, like QRP ( tiny, low powered transmitters to work the world on Morse code) to moon bounce, Microwave, and many, many other specialites. I never talk on repeaters, or talk to other hams, since I am mainly involved with the digital part of ham radio ( tracking, telemetry for high altitude balloon launches, etc.) Pick up a ham 2 meter radio during rush hour and you will hear the waves packed to the brink in many areas.

Major Lord

Gunner C

Quote from: BTCS1* on April 07, 2009, 02:33:00 AM
just started studying for my general, takin the test in a month and a half or 2.
-KC2ULR-
I'm doing the same.  Looking forward to expanding my radio/electronics knowledge.

ol'fido

Probably take a run at the Extra this summer at encampment.

KC9RLM
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

BTCS1*

By the way, while at a recent SAREX in NYWG, I learned that SEG HQ at westchester has a club license, K2CAP, the trustee is WA2NRV(maj. rothman)
C/2d Lt. B. Garelick, CAP

coolkites

Its late but I just has to throw this out there. I am currently teaching my entire squadron HAM. One night per month we go over what will be on the test and what they need to know. I currently have 7 cadets who I'm confident will get there tech when we go for the test.

73s -K[redacted]

wuzafuzz

The General Class license is next on my to-do list. 
Check!  I took and passed the General Class exam while vacationing in California.  Now I'm waiting for a new vanity call (I didn't want a sequential call with 0 in it).

Now to start some hands on learning with HF, knowledge applicable to CAP comms.

73 de KE6BBA (but not for long).
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

ol'fido

Congrats on the General.

73s

KC9RLM
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

JoeTomasone

BTW, for all you hams with a smartphone or iPad, I have a callsign lookup at http://www.ab2m.net/hamcall.