Main Menu

Going for the Ham License

Started by ThorntonOL, January 17, 2009, 04:53:29 AM

ThorntonOL

Am thinking about going for the ham license even if I can't use it in CAP I still find it would be useful outside of it, (a lot more useful than the CB's) just confused on the levels in the licenseing.
What is the beginning level and the highest level?
Is morse code still required for the last two? Or is it completely gone?
Former 1st Lt. Oliver L. Thornton
NY-292
Broome Tioga Composite Squadron

arajca

Technician is the lowest level.

Morse code is not required for any class per the FCC.

brenaud

Quote from: arajca on January 17, 2009, 04:57:32 AM
Technician is the lowest level.

Morse code is not required for any class per the FCC.

...followed by General and Extra (in that order).

Good luck!  I've been a ham for about 6 years and while I'm not as active as many, I still enjoy it.
WILLIAM A. RENAUD, Lt Col, CAP
TNWG Director of Personnel & Administration
GRW #2699

JoeTomasone

Ditto.   I've been a ham for 18 years now; you'll learn a lot that can be applied to CAP communications.

73!  (hamspeak for "best wishes" or "regards")

- Joe (AB2M)

♠SARKID♠

Good luck, study hard.  Amateur teaches all the basics that CAP doesn't have a program for.  Even though you can't use the frequencies, much/most the "techie" stuff you'll learn carries over.

KC9MJP

brenaud

Quote from: JoeTomasone on January 17, 2009, 05:51:46 AM

you'll learn a lot that can be applied to CAP communications.

+1
Professionalism in communications applies to all radio services (amateur, CAP, and others).

Oh, and I guess I'll throw my call out there, too....
73, WR4MS
GRW #2699

Chief2009

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" — Unknown
Dan Nelson, 1st Lt, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Illinois Valley Composite Squadron GLR-IL-284

wuzafuzz

Good luck to you!  Ham radio is fun and allows you to "play" with radios in ways CAP doesn't.

73 de KE6BBA
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

ThorntonOL

Thank you, I found the QRZ site and am taking practice exams on it to bone up on what I need for Technician, have an old Technician plus book from around 2003 that I'm studying from.
I know it's not the best way but currently I can't really afford any books that arn't 5 dollars or less, so I'm using a book given to the unit by one of the old comm guys we had. (I think or we got it in a box of books donated to the unit, can't remember which.) That is the reason why my gear isn't fully complete yet, made sure I had all of my IS courses done. (Those don't cost much.)
NY-292

BillB

Check with your local Ham Club. Many clubs offer classes for both Technician and General class license exams.

Bill B
W4XFJ
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

dwb

I did a "ham cram" to get my technician. It was offered by a local ham group. Interestingly, one of the instructors was my bridge partner at work. We were surprised to see one another.

The test is a piece of cake if you study well. Good luck.

Dan
KC2SOL

wuzafuzz

Quote from: dwb on January 18, 2009, 01:13:57 AM
I did a "ham cram" to get my technician. It was offered by a local ham group. Interestingly, one of the instructors was my bridge partner at work. We were surprised to see one another.

The test is a piece of cake if you study well. Good luck.

Dan
KC2SOL

"Ham cram."  I love it.  That's how I got my No-Code Tech, a two day class followed by a test.  When I realized no one would talk to a No Code Tech I studied for and passed the 5 WPM code element to become a "Tech Plus."  Funny, there were suddenly far more "friends" on the air.  I promptly forgot almost everything I learned about CW and retained all my new "friends."  ;-)

Pylon

Quote from: wuzafuzz on January 18, 2009, 01:22:05 PM
When I realized no one would talk to a No Code Tech I studied for and passed the 5 WPM code element to become a "Tech Plus."  Funny, there were suddenly far more "friends" on the air.  I promptly forgot almost everything I learned about CW and retained all my new "friends."  ;-)

As a no-code tech, I find nobody talks me mostly because I'm not on the air.  Ever.   ;D
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

RedFox24

Might I also suggest that you try to locate a Ham Radio Club in your area.  Many Ham Clubs have classes and testing sessions on a regular basis.  It is also somewhat of a tradition, at least around here, for hams to pass down there books or study materials to the new guys or to hams trying to upgrade licenses, so you wouldn't have to buy a book, just keep the tradition alive and pass your book on after you pass the test. 

If you are on QRZ, do a search for your town or zipcode and then try and contact one of the hams to see if there is a club in your area. 

73 and good luck

KC9FVK
Club Call K9SIL
Contrarian and Curmudgeon at Large

"You can tell a member of National Headquarters but you can't tell them much!"

Just say NO to NESA Speak.

ThorntonOL

Just found something late last night I want to clarify, supposedly you can go test for Technician, and if passed can also take General and if passed can take extra all on the same testing fee.
Only have to pay another fee if you failed a test. I suspect only a few people would try this but from what I've read it is allowed.
Now is this right? or is the information I read wrong?

Need to know before i go asking friends if they have the books. :) :) :)
NY-292

♠SARKID♠

Can you?  Yes.  Would I recommend it?  No.  If you want to test to General, okay, I know a few people that have done that but only because they were electrical engineers by trade and new the stuff anyways.  Really you'd want to do it one at a time.  Its a lot, and I mean a LOT to take in all at once.  Take your technician, get on the air for a while and learn the ins and outs.  Then start working on your upgrades.

That and you'll have a lot of raised eyebrows at you if you went on with an extra class callsign and said you were having your first QSO :D
I'm studying for my general right now (the book's open in my lap, in fact) and I wouldn't have any knowledge base of it if I hadn't fiddled around as a tech before.

ThorntonOL

The reason why I was asking was that a few people on the QRZ forum were talking about when they took the tests and what you could do and wanted to double check from another source.
NY-292

JoeTomasone

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on January 18, 2009, 11:51:43 PM
Can you?  Yes.  Would I recommend it?  No. 

You can if the VE team in question permits it.   Some do; some require the fee for each test, pass or fail.

I disagree with Dan here - I say "go for it" - at worst, you'll have seen the test and know what areas will require additional study.   At best, you'll pass get a higher-class license.   And don't worry about the possibility of doing your first QSO as an Extra -- once the VE team lets the local clubs know that you went from "Zero to Extra" in one day, everyone will know that you are serious enough about the hobby to study extra hard.

In my time as a VE I've seen a few go to Extra on the first try, and believe me, we respected the heck out of those folks.

caprr275

73 from KD8BAJ

Im getting ready to go for my general soon

Major Lord

Throw away your 2003 Tech book, it is a waste of your study time. If you go to Eham.com you can take the new tests. There are about 300 and some odd questions in the total pool, , and if you take the practice tests until you hit passing scores you will pass the real test easily. Remember that the practice test questions are the real, actual test questions, and not altered in any way other than having the answer sequences rearranged. Don't worry about what the questions mean! Just take the practice test as often as you can until you have the bulk of the questions commited to memory. Many are self evident, like "when are you permitted to transmit profanity?" etc. Others , like "what color is tyhe boathouse in ITU region 3?" are just stupid, but you have top memorize them anyway. Don't get caughht up in trying to memorize all the formulaes: if you pass the word questions you can blow all the math.

There are so many areas of Ham radio to get involved in. a huge percentage of my customers are private pilots of experimentals who like to use the ARS system for tracking their airplanes, many people just want to do Amature Television. Others like to talk on the local repeaters with other techies, and yes, rthere are lots and lots of peopl e out there who love the challenge and exclusivity of sending morse code on the HF band.

Maj Allen Lord
KG6HXO
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

drcomm

Here's another test prep site...

http://aa9pw.com/radio/

As for taking Tech through Extra in one sitting.......

I am part of a VE team and our procedure is if you pass you can take the next level exam, no additional fee.   As long as time permits, we allow it.  We have had a couple of folks go from nothing Extra though both were well educated folks.  One was a EE professor and the other was a physics major and meteorologist at our local National Weather Service office. 

I was first introduced to radio communications in CAP as a cadet.  Our squadron meeting place was home to the former Southwest Region Electronics Maintenance Facility.  Lots of electronics geeks and hams around there!  I got my start in ham radio with those folks.  My exams through Advanced were all given at the FCC office in the Houston, TX Federal Building.  Extra was via the VE program.  I've been a ham for almost 27 years and hold an Extra class license and a General Radiotelephone (Commercial) License.
David Romere, Maj, CAP
Starbase Composite Squadron, SWR-OK-151
Oil Well 767
Mitchell Award #2536 (May 1981)
Amateur Radio Call Sign: KA5OWI

Major Lord

I wonder how many of us in CAP have our GROL? Its almost exactly the same as the Extra class test (well, maybe a bit harder).

Maj Lord
KG6HXO
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

drcomm

Quote from: Major Lord on January 19, 2009, 02:02:53 AM
I wonder how many of us in CAP have our GROL? Its almost exactly the same as the Extra class test (well, maybe a bit harder).

Maj Lord
KG6HXO

Actually quite a bit harder.  The extra has a lot of antenna theory (smith charts, etc.) and ham related stuff.  The GROL is chock full of deep transmitter/ receiver circuit theory questions and radio law relating to ship/aircraft radios and broadcast transmitters.  If you are really into electronics I'd say get a study guide and give the GROL a try.  It is also covered under the VE program.  Our VE team does ham exams every month and Commercial Exams (GROL, Radar Endorsement, etc.) every quarter.
David Romere, Maj, CAP
Oil Well 767

♠SARKID♠

QuoteThere are about 300 and some odd questions in the total pool, , and if you take the practice tests until you hit passing scores you will pass the real test easily. Remember that the practice test questions are the real, actual test questions, and not altered in any way other than having the answer sequences rearranged. Don't worry about what the questions mean! Just take the practice test as often as you can until you have the bulk of the questions commited to memory.

Now that I disagree with.  Are you really learning anything?  I don't know about you, but I'm in ham radio to further my education, not my memorization skills.

Major Lord

Having a firm grasp of the basic principals in the Tech book is a good start to understanding general operating principals of Ham radio, It is not a great way to get your license. My rule with ham radio is to get people their entry level license and lead them down the path to more advanced things later.

Major Lord

Major Lord

Quote from: drcomm on January 19, 2009, 02:12:44 AM
Quote from: Major Lord on January 19, 2009, 02:02:53 AM

Maj Lord
KG6HXO

Actually quite a bit harder.  The extra has a lot of antenna theory (smith charts, etc.) and ham related stuff.  The GROL is chock full of deep transmitter/ receiver circuit theory questions and radio law relating to ship/aircraft radios and broadcast transmitters.  If you are really into electronics I'd say get a study guide and give the GROL a try.  It is also covered under the VE program.  Our VE team does ham exams every month and Commercial Exams (GROL, Radar Endorsement, etc.) every quarter.

David,

I studied my book for about 3 months and took the practice tests from Gordon West ( May he live forever in the halls of Valhalla!) and passed the GROL with Radar, missing two questions in the process. I can strongly recommend the Gordon West books for all ham and commercial tests. Good stuff. I am not a wiz with the Calculus, but I found that there are patterns to the answers on a lot of the really hard questions.

Major Lord

SarDragon

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on January 19, 2009, 03:21:35 AM
QuoteThere are about 300 and some odd questions in the total pool, , and if you take the practice tests until you hit passing scores you will pass the real test easily. Remember that the practice test questions are the real, actual test questions, and not altered in any way other than having the answer sequences rearranged. Don't worry about what the questions mean! Just take the practice test as often as you can until you have the bulk of the questions committed to memory.

Now that I disagree with.  Are you really learning anything?  I don't know about you, but I'm in ham radio to further my education, not my memorization skills.

Yea, I was wondering about that myself.

I was an avionics tech in the Navy, so have some substantial electronics knowledge, followed on by a degree in Electronics.

I sat here and took 11 of the Tech practice exams from here - http://www.qrz.com/testing.html - and passed them all with 85% or better. Does that make me a "proper" ham, just because I have great test taking skills? I could probably go take the Tech test and get my license tomorrow, but I don't feel that I have some of the other knowledge that would help me integrate into the ham ranks.

Thoughts? Comments? Advice?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

♠SARKID♠

Exactly what I'm saying.  Just because you know the questions and answers, doesn't mean you know all the necessary questions and answers.  The test doesn't cover every bit of info you need to know, and hopping on the air prematurely could lead to some mistakes with unwanted consequences.

wuzafuzz

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on January 19, 2009, 03:21:35 AM
QuoteThere are about 300 and some odd questions in the total pool, , and if you take the practice tests until you hit passing scores you will pass the real test easily. Remember that the practice test questions are the real, actual test questions, and not altered in any way other than having the answer sequences rearranged. Don't worry about what the questions mean! Just take the practice test as often as you can until you have the bulk of the questions commited to memory.

Who cares how someone passes the test?  People learn in a variety of ways.  Some will learn from the books, others will learn by doing.  As long as no rules are broken the method is acceptable.  Further, some hams do just fine as "appliance operators" and are content with that.  Some hams build their own gear from scratch.  Ham radio is many different hobbies within a hobby.  We should resist the all too common trap of insisting others practice "my hobby, my way."

JoeTomasone

ThorntonOL

since it was mentioned I am going to ask what exactly is commercial radio license compared to ham?
I also saw a few commercial licenses named, (I probably should know what GROL stands for but currently I can't think of it) what are the names of the commercial licenses and could you give a description of them?
Going for ham right now but would like to see if there is anything worth going for after them.
NY-292

IceNine

Commercial licenses like the General Radiotelephone Operators License are good for Commercial applications.  They don't carry much weight outside of that, and as mentioned they are significantly more in depth.

If you were interested in pursuing radio as a career it would be beneficial to have a GROL with one of the various endorsements
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

davidsinn

Which Ham license would I need to do Radio Control in the 50Mhz band? I'm looking at building an RC submarine and want a lower freq than the 75 Mhz allowed for none licensed people.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

IceNine

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

NHQ-OS-126 Frank

Wouw, there are so many Ham's here on the site and in CAP.  Why should we not try to meet on the air and talk together.

When HF does not work we could try echolink. There are already  a lot of repeaters on echolink and it is a real cool way to communicate. (links, repeaters etc.)

We could open an own conference room on echolink.

Any thoughts ?   

Best 73's to you all and good luck for those who take the Ham exams soon.

LX1MG   Frank

Deputy commander
Aerospace Education Officer
NHQ-OS-126 Spangdahlem AB
Germany
www.facebook.com/capspangdahlem
LX1MG

JoeTomasone

We can use my conference - *AB2M*

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: ThorntonOL on January 17, 2009, 04:53:29 AM
Am thinking about going for the ham license even if I can't use it in CAP I still find it would be useful outside of it, (a lot more useful than the CB's) just confused on the levels in the licensing.
What is the beginning level and the highest level?
Is Morse code still required for the last two? Or is it completely gone?
I think it is an excellent idea for ANYONE interested in CAP Emergency Services to get an amateur radio license, at least to the technician level which allows voice & data comms in the higher frequency ranges, and even cw code in the HF ranges (although code is no longer tested/required for any amateur radio class of license).

The proposed draft CAPR 100-1, makes provisions for CAP obtaining assistance from hams in radio relay of information.   Regardless of what the regulation says, in an emergency if you are a licensed amateur radio operator, whether in CAP uniform & on mission, you can still use your amateur radio.    There's very significantly  more amateur radio stations (including repeaters) throughout the country than CAP assets.  Amateur radio uses the slogan "when all else fails"!!!

Surely, If you are on a CAP/AF authorized mission you should use the CAP radio communications equipment provided to you, BUT just as you carry a cellphone with you, there's no harm in also carrying an amateur radio dual band WT (VHF/UHF) for "just in case" "when all else fails" scenario!!!
RM 

drcomm

Quote from: ThorntonOL on January 19, 2009, 05:05:55 PM
since it was mentioned I am going to ask what exactly is commercial radio license compared to ham?
I also saw a few commercial licenses named, (I probably should know what GROL stands for but currently I can't think of it) what are the names of the commercial licenses and could you give a description of them?
Going for ham right now but would like to see if there is anything worth going for after them.

There are several different types and endorsements.

Licenses:
GROL General Radiotelephone Operator's License
GMDSS Global Maritime Distress Safety System Radio Operators License
GMDSS Radio Maintainer's Licence

Permits:
Restricted Radio Operator's Permit
Marine Radio Operator's Permit

Certificates:
Third Class Radiotelegraph Operator's Certificate
Second Class Radiotelegraph Operator's Certificate
First Class Radiotelegraph Operator's Certificate

Endorsements:
Ship Radar Endorsement
Six Month Service Endorsement

The GROL is required to maintain radio equipment used in several different radio services especially aviation and marine.  If you have a desire to work in these fields you should try to get this license.  The radiotelegraph licenses are for marine telegraph operators. 

Take a look at the National Radio Examiners website for more details on the requirements for each.

http://www.nationalradioexaminers.com
David Romere, Maj, CAP
Oil Well 767

Fireball

CAP and HAM radio go hand in hand. Both activities seem to attract the same type of person. In fact a CAP HAM first introduced me to radio  back in my Cub Scout days 30+ years ago. Right now there are at least 6 HAMs in my squadron and many many more in our Wing. I only regret that there are not more HAM radios that are also NTIA compliant. Ahh the good ol days! :P
R. N. Brock, Maj, CAP
NCWG

Major Lord

Quote from: ThorntonOL on January 19, 2009, 05:05:55 PM

Lt.,

In the old days, you needed a GROL to service two way radios, and it was also the license that broadcast engineers needed. This is mostly unnecessary these days. You do need a GROL with a Radar endorsement to service Maritime Radar (technically, even to change the fuse in a boat RADAR set) Other than a degree in electronics, the GROL is probably the most common bona fides presented by radio communications technicians to show they have a good grasp of theory and practice.

The GROL is also a requirement ( along with quite a few others) for people interested in serving in the Merchant Marine as a Radio Officer. I belive that it is still a requirement for servicing avionics electronics. I have mine because I manufacture ham radio products, and because of my past work in electronic countermeasures. It is a lifetime license, and a lot of guys out there earned the license when it was concerned with tubes and rubbing sticks together. The test is fairly advanced, but if you study, it is doable.

The ham "tech"  license is a walk in the park. After that, the General class license makes you rub a few brain cells together to earn. Good luck!

Major Lord
KG6HXO

Major Lord

ThorntonOL

Oh is it ever, I have been doing pretty decent on the practice exams for Tech but get to the General practice tests oh is it fun.
Starting to get a headache so I stopped studying for the night as it's near bedtime and i need to get up in the morning but doing some last minute reading.
NY-292

ThorntonOL

A little update, have been doing well enough on the Tech practice exams that I'm ready to take it, but I'm holding off so I can at least get General with it, cheaper that way.
Looking forward a Ham Fest they have locally to pick up some gear. (hopefully)
Mainly working on studying and am hoping to get some interest in the unit and getting them started on it if anyone shows interest, then maybe we can just have the test there. (There's a group who has enough people with the right Quals. who said if we had a group who wanted to test they were willing to come down and set it up.)
Well if anything changes I let you folks know.
BTW for anyone who IS going for anything Ham test wise the fee this year is $15.
NY-292

drcomm

David Romere, Maj, CAP
Oil Well 767

Major Lord

When I took my Tech test, the code was still a requirement. I took the General in the same sitting, and passed, but could not get the General class ticket until I passed the (now defunct) code test. (I took it again later, after the code was gone)  If you can get a high score on the Tech, take the General Class too. Anyone in CAP (especially Cadets) should be able to play the mutiple guess test  game and pass the General with but a little luck! Pay your money, and take your chances-there is no penalty for failure!

Major Lord

dwb

I took Technician and General at the same time, but I didn't plan it that way, so I never really studied for General, and didn't pass (it was a last-minute decision to take both).

I don't think it's that big of a deal to start with only Technician.  If you're not sure how you're going to participate in the hobby, and you don't have any equipment yet, you may be better of just taking Technician.

capchiro

Go for tech and general together, it's not that much more studying and the concepts and theories make sense at the time you are learning them.  The tech rating is fairly restrictive and the general opens up almost everything to you.  Cram for the exams, get the license and start to play.  That is when all of the real learning will come in.  Also, find a good local Ham club and you will have more help than you can handle.  KE4QBB
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

DesertFlyer

Good luck on the ham exam.  Ham radio is great fun and a good way to learn and practice the technical and operational aspects of radio that we use in CAP. 

One thing to keep in mind about the GROL is that a new senior member with the GROL can be promoted immediately to 1st Lt in CAP based on the GROL.  It's a mission-related skill, like pilot or medical qualifications.

The GROL dates back to about 1984, when the FCC discontinued the old Radiotelephone Operator First Class license, which was required for broadcast engineers.  Prior to that the radiotelephone license structure included the Third Class (DJs and some marine users), Second Class (2-way operators and repair technicians) and First Class (broadcast), in addition to the Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit (pilots, etc.). 

I got my First Class with radar endorsement in 1979, and was highly disappointed when my renewal was to a "downgraded" GROL because of the discontinuation of the First Class.  On the other hand, the GROL is for life, so you don't have to worry about renewing.

Any others out there who had the old "First Phone"?

Dave Finley, N1IRZ (Extra Class)
Lt Col Dave Finley, CAP
Socorro Composite Squadron
New Mexico Wing

Semper Fidelis -- Semper Vigilans

JoeTomasone

Quote from: DesertFlyer on January 27, 2009, 05:04:09 PM

One thing to keep in mind about the GROL is that a new senior member with the GROL can be promoted immediately to 1st Lt in CAP based on the GROL.  It's a mission-related skill, like pilot or medical qualifications.

The irony, of course, being that the skill that the GROL implies (repairing radios) is the skill that CAP needs least, since all Corporate equipment goes to the NTC nowadays..   :)

Al Sayre

Someone still has to rig the antennas and explain to cadets why you can't just stick the red and blue wires in the light socket... i.e. the smoke theory of electronics:  All electronic devices operate on smoke.  If you let the smoke out of the device it will no longer work properly.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

JoeTomasone

Quote from: Al Sayre on January 27, 2009, 05:56:38 PM
Someone still has to rig the antennas and explain to cadets why you can't just stick the red and blue wires in the light socket... i.e. the smoke theory of electronics:  All electronic devices operate on smoke.  If you let the smoke out of the device it will no longer work properly.

That's why I am an advocate of changing "GROL" to "Extra Class Ham Radio Operator". 

brenaud

Quote from: JoeTomasone on January 27, 2009, 09:16:03 PM
That's why I am an advocate of changing "GROL" to "Extra Class Ham Radio Operator". 

+1...or if not changing it, adding it.  In my (albeit limited) experience, the communications knowledge we use in CAP exists within the amateur community (up to and including repeater maintenance).  Just my $.02...YMMV.

Quote from: Al Sayre on January 27, 2009, 05:56:38 PM
What do you mean smoke theory?!?! :)

Finally, on the original topic here, one of the non-CAP organizations of which I'm a member is about to start our latest Technician class.  I believe I heard tonight that we're around 40 students!
GRW #2699

ThorntonOL

On the GROL subject I'll take it as I have two different people locally who can give the test, and there is a group somewhat local that is giving the amateur tests soon.
Probably won't go to that one but I know there are others coming up.

Ham License

Other than what the practice tests cover and Part 97 cover is there anything else I need to study?
Went to VoTech for electrical occupations (as its called here.) so I know the basics of electricity so that isn't to hard to remember just which formula is for current, voltage, etc. (I've gotten them mixed up but now have them pretty much sorted out.
Getting the radio equipment, where would you suggest going?

GROL

With the GROL if I take the GMDSS Operator and Maintainer test(s) Do I get GROL with it or do I have to take that seperate?
NY-292

drcomm

Quote from: ThorntonOL on January 29, 2009, 02:11:36 PM
On the GROL subject I'll take it as I have two different people locally who can give the test, and there is a group somewhat local that is giving the amateur tests soon.
Probably won't go to that one but I know there are others coming up.

Ham License

Other than what the practice tests cover and Part 97 cover is there anything else I need to study?
Went to VoTech for electrical occupations (as its called here.) so I know the basics of electricity so that isn't to hard to remember just which formula is for current, voltage, etc. (I've gotten them mixed up but now have them pretty much sorted out.
Getting the radio equipment, where would you suggest going?

GROL

With the GROL if I take the GMDSS Operator and Maintainer test(s) Do I get GROL with it or do I have to take that seperate?

What else to study?

You should be good with the online practice tests and a copy of a Technician class study guide.  The basic electricty training will be helpful but there is still a good bit of ham radio specific regs to deal with.  Frequencies, procedures, etc.

Getting equipment?

If you don't live near a ham radio retailer there are several good online retailers.  A few examples would be Amateur Electronic Supply, Ham Radio Outlet, Austin Amateur Radio, etc.  There are many more.  I've dealt with those listed and had good results.

GMDSS covering the GROL?

If I recall correctly the GMDSS is a stand alone license covering only GMDSS equipment.  A GROL is still required for GROL equipment, ie. aviation radios, commercial equipment...
David Romere, Maj, CAP
Oil Well 767

drcomm

Quote from: drcomm on January 29, 2009, 11:32:01 PM
GMDSS covering the GROL?

If I recall correctly the GMDSS is a stand alone license covering only GMDSS equipment.  A GROL is still required for GROL equipment, ie. aviation radios, commercial equipment...

A little clarification,  There is a difference between the GMDSS Radio OPERATOR'S License, the GMDSS Radio MAINTAINER'S License and the GROL General Radiotelephone Operator's License.

The GMDSS Operator test requires elements 1 and 7
The GMDSS Maintainer's test requires elements 1, 3, and 9
The GROL requires elements 1 and 3

So, a GMDSS Maintainer's license should also cover the requirements of the GROL but the GMDSS Operators license would not.
David Romere, Maj, CAP
Oil Well 767

ThorntonOL

The reason I was asking is that I was visiting different sites for the commercial licenses and they had the GMDSS Operator and Maintainer as individual tests and also had them as one combined.
With the question on does taking the one cover "all" the others, I should clarify that by this question do all the elements that are taken for the one that applicable to the other stay with the original test going for or can they also be used to cover the other test that uses those same elements?

Here's the link for the site I was looking at.
http://wireless.fcc.gov/commoperators/index.htm?job=db
NY-292

drcomm

I just made a call to the lead examiner for our commercial examiner team and confirmed that yes, taking the GMDSS Maintainer's tests (elements 1,3, and 9) does give the holder the authority of the GROL license (elements 1 and 3).  So, the GMDSS Maintainer's license would "supercede" the GROL.
David Romere, Maj, CAP
Oil Well 767

drcomm

Take a look at this link:

http://www.nationalradioexaminers.com/page.php?id=50

It has the info from your link plus the requirements of the other licenses.  All licenses require element 1.  The others that would cover a "lesser" license would be the Radiotelegraph licenses, second class would cover third, first cover second.
David Romere, Maj, CAP
Oil Well 767

drcomm

Quote from: ThorntonOL on January 30, 2009, 12:08:20 AM
The reason I was asking is that I was visiting different sites for the commercial licenses and they had the GMDSS Operator and Maintainer as individual tests and also had them as one combined.
With the question on does taking the one cover "all" the others, I should clarify that by this question do all the elements that are taken for the one that applicable to the other stay with the original test going for or can they also be used to cover the other test that uses those same elements?

Here's the link for the site I was looking at.
http://wireless.fcc.gov/commoperators/index.htm?job=db

PM Sent........
David Romere, Maj, CAP
Oil Well 767

ThorntonOL

Thanks, got the PM, and as I glanced through that page did not read it fully thank you.
Now to put an answer to a question not asked, if both the GMDSS or just the Maintainer are taken and then the Radar Endorsement there is nothing else needed. just finished reading another section of the site my earlier link led to.
For Amateur radio in the extra class (Have not really done anything studying wise) what is it mainly for ? Repairs?
NY-292

drcomm

For amateur radio, the main benefit of the extra class is use of the full range of available amateur frequencies.  That is really it.  The general class will give you access to all modes but you will be short a few segments of frequency space to use.  The extra gives you those segments.  So frequencies and being able to say you made it!
David Romere, Maj, CAP
Oil Well 767

ThorntonOL

I'm going for my Driver's License test on the 12th and hopefully I can get a job after that meanwhile any thoughts on cheap but decent beginner ham equipment?
NY-292

drcomm

First I would check for local ham radio clubs.  They will usually know where the local "deals" are. Try Googling "ham radio clubs" and you home town or area.  Next I would look for near by HamFests.  You can find these by going to the ARRL web site (www.arrl.org) and click the HamFests link at the top of the page.  Put in the requested search info and it will give you a calendar of hamfests for the requested area.  You can also check the calendar on www.eham.net

You can also  check things like craigslist and ebay but I think your best bet is to hook up with a local club and ask them for their recommendations.

For a starter radio, a dual-band handheld would probably be your best bet.  That would be a radio covering the 2 meter (VHF) and 70 centimeter (UHF) bands.  The less expensive used radios will usually be found at the hamfests and new equipment can be had from any of several earlier listed (in this thread) online retailers.  Dig around on the ARRL site and the eham sites listed above as they each have sections on new ham information that may be helpful. 
David Romere, Maj, CAP
Oil Well 767

Major Lord

I took and passed the Extra Class test this morning. It was a bit easier than the GROL, but was very similar in content. Now I need to come up with a cool personailzed call sign!

Major Lord

JoeTomasone

Quote from: Major Lord on February 08, 2009, 10:02:51 PM
I took and passed the Extra Class test this morning. It was a bit easier than the GROL, but was very similar in content. Now I need to come up with a cool personailzed call sign!

Major Lord

Congrats!   So are you saying that passing the Extra is a good sign that you can pass the GROL?

Major Lord

Joe,

Thanks! I am not sure how well it works the other way around, but passing the GROL makes the Extra fairly easy. I took the Eham practice tests for the Extra a couple of times ( I am home recovering from some minor shoulder surgery) and I think I did okay on the test. (Note: Ham tests should not be taken while on massive quantities of Percocet) I am  not sure what my actual test score was, it was just pass-fail. I did not think I was actually going to pass, but I found that there was a test session today about a mile from my house and figured I could always study and try again later if luck and multiple-guess test stategy did not work out. I don't really know what I am going to do with the extra class ticket. Most of what I do is digital mode VHF/UHF stuff. I might actually have to set up a home HF antena now!

Major Lord
KG6HXO (for now)

drcomm

David Romere, Maj, CAP
Oil Well 767

Major Lord

JoeTomasone

Quote from: Major Lord on February 09, 2009, 12:26:52 AM
Joe,

I don't really know what I am going to do with the extra class ticket. Most of what I do is digital mode VHF/UHF stuff. I might actually have to set up a home HF antena now!

Major Lord
KG6HXO (for now)

You SO need to play with Winlink 2000 on HF -- then you can get upset that CAP won't permit it and become a bitter comm guy like me.  :)

Major Lord

Joe,

I have thought about playing with it, but have not had the time. CAP always seems to be about a decade behind in Comms, and I understand your frustration. My main CAP goal is to get our local system using our own APRS network. The Com-God of CAWG has given me permission to send experimental packets over the air. and if I can ever get the time to really make it work, I am sure that all the players will like it ( except for the ground teams hiding at in-n-out burgers while claiming to be searching a swamp....)

O-Rex

A Tech-rating has been on my "bucket-list" for about a year now: just need to get off my duff and do it, if nothing more than to give me some commonality with some of our Comm folks and expand a few horizons.......

JoeTomasone

Quote from: Major Lord on February 09, 2009, 07:27:36 PM
Joe,

I have thought about playing with it, but have not had the time. CAP always seems to be about a decade behind in Comms, and I understand your frustration. My main CAP goal is to get our local system using our own APRS network. The Com-God of CAWG has given me permission to send experimental packets over the air. and if I can ever get the time to really make it work, I am sure that all the players will like it ( except for the ground teams hiding at in-n-out burgers while claiming to be searching a swamp....)

The new 100-1 if published as proposed would squash it anyway since there is no provision for data anymore.

That said, there's a lot of technologies that CAP could adopt from the ham radio world (like they did packet..).   Sadly, the leadership doesn't want it.   

(Shutting up now - I could vent for a long time on this topic...)

Major Lord

I have not seen the new 100-1. Is your interpretation of it that data burst after unkeying is not permitted, as in ANI systems? Or just that we don't have a dedicated data channel anymore?

Major Lord

JoeTomasone

Quote from: Major Lord on February 10, 2009, 12:57:07 AM
I have not seen the new 100-1. Is your interpretation of it that data burst after unkeying is not permitted, as in ANI systems? Or just that we don't have a dedicated data channel anymore?

Major Lord

Data is no longer a permissible mode.

Major Lord

Man! We just spent a zillion dollars on APCO compliant radios and we can't even use the digital mode? Okay, now I am turning into a cranky Comm guy!

Major Lord

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: Major Lord on February 10, 2009, 04:03:03 AM
Man! We just spent a zillion dollars on APCO compliant radios and we can't even use the digital mode? Okay, now I am turning into a cranky Comm guy!

Major Lord

Join the club, we have t-shirts.  The shirts even have a nifty chest pocket.  But your not allowed to use that feature.

Gunner C

Along the lines of getting a Ham license, where do you go/how do you find someone to give you the test?  I'm about ready.

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: Gunner C on February 10, 2009, 05:12:32 AM
Along the lines of getting a Ham license, where do you go/how do you find someone to give you the test?  I'm about ready.

Try here first, http://www.arrl.org/arrlvec/examsearch.phtml

Or do a google search for some repeater clubs in your area and see if any offer testing sessions.  If you can't find anything, fire an email off to one of the repeater club leaders and they'll probably be able to point you in the right direction.

Gunner C

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on February 10, 2009, 05:30:01 AM
Quote from: Gunner C on February 10, 2009, 05:12:32 AM

Try here first, http://www.arrl.org/arrlvec/examsearch.phtml

Or do a google search for some repeater clubs in your area and see if any offer testing sessions.  If you can't find anything, fire an email off to one of the repeater club leaders and they'll probably be able to point you in the right direction.
Thx!

wuzafuzz

Quote from: Major Lord on February 10, 2009, 04:03:03 AM

Major Lord

ROFLMAO!   :clap:

Somebody, somewhere, is going to have to say, "..but that's not what I meant."   :-[

ThorntonOL

he date and location of exams is what's holding me up currently.
NY-292

wuzafuzz

The General Class license is next on my to-do list.  Although I'm more of a VHF/UHF kind of guy, learning more about HF operations can't hurt.  If only my HOA would allow antennas.  Some creative antennas will be needed!

Major Lord

One of my friends suggested a giant antenna disguised as a statue of Obama.....No one in Northern CA could dare criticize it.

Major Lord

brenaud

Quote from: wuzafuzz on February 11, 2009, 01:06:48 PM
The General Class license is next on my to-do list.  Although I'm more of a VHF/UHF kind of guy, learning more about HF operations can't hurt.  If only my HOA would allow antennas.  Some creative antennas will be needed!

You'd be amazed what will work.  I've managed some good contacts on HF with an 8' mag mount antenna on my car.
GRW #2699

drcomm

When I was in college, the parking lot backed up to the apartment I lived in.  I had a set of Hustler HF mobile resonators on my vehicle at the time.  I would drop a coax out the back window and to the vehicle.  It worked great.  I could work Europe, Africa, and South America on 20m with no problem.  I would speak to my ham friends back home in Houston on 40m and 75/80m also.  Don't rule out the small mobile antennas or hidden wire around the eave of the house or back fence.  They may not be optimum but they will work.
David Romere, Maj, CAP
Oil Well 767

Major Lord

Man, it feels weird not having any more FCC tests to study for.....I am thinking about taking the elements 7 and 9 tests for the GMDSS system. I suppose if I really wanted to work hard, I could take the code tests for the commercial license. Mmmm, that would be hard......

Major Lord

BTCS1*

just started studying for my general, takin the test in a month and a half or 2.
-KC2ULR-
C/2d Lt. B. Garelick, CAP

DBlair

I got my Tech license back in 1994 and was pretty active in the local 2m scene for a while before getting out of it for several years. I've heard that 2m (and Ham Radio in general) has decreased in popularity from what it once was.

Is this true? Is 2m still active? Are there other bands that are pretty active as well? I'm thinking of going for my General, purchasing some new equipment, and perhaps getting into HF, but was curious if any of the Hams here had any thoughts or suggestions.

N2ZJM
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

Major Lord

I think that Ham radio is as popular as ever! A lot of people specialize in certain things, like QRP ( tiny, low powered transmitters to work the world on Morse code) to moon bounce, Microwave, and many, many other specialites. I never talk on repeaters, or talk to other hams, since I am mainly involved with the digital part of ham radio ( tracking, telemetry for high altitude balloon launches, etc.) Pick up a ham 2 meter radio during rush hour and you will hear the waves packed to the brink in many areas.

Major Lord

Gunner C

Quote from: BTCS1* on April 07, 2009, 02:33:00 AM
just started studying for my general, takin the test in a month and a half or 2.
-KC2ULR-
I'm doing the same.  Looking forward to expanding my radio/electronics knowledge.

ol'fido

Probably take a run at the Extra this summer at encampment.

KC9RLM
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

BTCS1*

By the way, while at a recent SAREX in NYWG, I learned that SEG HQ at westchester has a club license, K2CAP, the trustee is WA2NRV(maj. rothman)
C/2d Lt. B. Garelick, CAP

coolkites

Its late but I just has to throw this out there. I am currently teaching my entire squadron HAM. One night per month we go over what will be on the test and what they need to know. I currently have 7 cadets who I'm confident will get there tech when we go for the test.

73s -K[redacted]

wuzafuzz

The General Class license is next on my to-do list. 
Check!  I took and passed the General Class exam while vacationing in California.  Now I'm waiting for a new vanity call (I didn't want a sequential call with 0 in it).

Now to start some hands on learning with HF, knowledge applicable to CAP comms.

73 de KE6BBA (but not for long).

ol'fido

Congrats on the General.

73s

KC9RLM
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

JoeTomasone

BTW, for all you hams with a smartphone or iPad, I have a callsign lookup at http://www.ab2m.net/hamcall.