Main Menu

Dont ask Dont tell Policy

Started by CAPLAW, January 06, 2009, 01:36:43 AM

SM-MADDOG

I agree that as long as the Members pass the required background cheecks and requirements set forth by CAP they should be allowed to servce in CAP. I dont see how that person asking such a question is saying they are in the Military. We arent Military We are Civil Air Patrol United States Air Force Auxiliary and the Air Force (Military) does have some regulations CAP must follow, now they may not have a regulation on the question that person asked, yet they do have regulations We ust follow, thats why we are the AF Auxiliary.

But I have My personal beliefs on that issue and many others, I wont say what My opinions are, I dont care what regulations the government makes, CAP or any other agency makes, I have a right to hold My Personal opinions to my self, yet I dont let that interfear in CAP. I joined to help my state and country not worry about what bill joe member sitting next to me thinks or does. As long as its nothing illegal I dont care. Thats him or her. I joined for Me and CAP. As long as that member isnt breaking regulations, doing illegal things or in dangering cadets or seniors they are fine by Me.

Quote from: cap235629 on January 06, 2009, 04:54:09 AM
This is a copy of a post I made the last time this issue came up:

Just for the record, I do not think this is an issue.  And for those that do, YOU might want to rethink your position and membership with CAP as our current National Commander is a board member of the Servicemembers Legal Defense Network.

More info on SLDN can be found here:

http://www.sldn.org/pages/about-sldn

Here is the national board:

http://www.sldn.org/pages/sldn-board-of-directors

I sincerely doubt any issues about denying membership based upon sexual orientation would be looked highly upon at NHQ.

WE ARE NOT IN THE MILITARY FOLKS!

DON'T ASK DON'T TELL DOES NOT APPLY!

I just wish some of the folks on here would stop having these delusions that they are in the military and get on with the missions of CAP.

2nd Lt, CAP

Nathan

Quote from: John Bryan on January 08, 2009, 02:31:08 AM
One I think we do educate each other and esp our cadets.....moral leadership. And if anything we push the wrong way....I have heard a number of CAP chaplains express what "their God" says about this issue. So too late....it is already an issue.

I'm going to take a minute to address this post, since I think it was an important one. It IS an issue, but it SHOULDN'T be an issue. That's the reason we have these debates.

Quote from: John BryanAs for "leave their personal lives at the door and not make reference to sexual, political or social beliefs during any CAP activity. " Again not that easy. I would say no one should make out at a CAP event but what about a promotion ceremony. Normally a wife or husband can assist in promotion....is that making a statement of orientation? If a gay members partner helped promote him or her would that be wrong. What about in state where they are married? At last wing conference we had with a dance after my wife and I danced , was that ok? What if a gay member and his/her date danced? When I was Wing Commander I repeatedly thanked my wife for supporting me and told her I loved her....was that statement out of line? If a gay member thanked their partner would it be?

This is an excellent point, and one I think that people tend to think more about than they should. CAP has no regulations against being gay, so special treatment, regardless of how strictly the rules are applied, is completely out of the question.

So yes, in a perfect, form-driven world, there would be NO PDA or civilian life interference in CAP. Understandably, being a civilian organization, this is difficult to accomplish. So situations come up where the commanders can exercise their good judgment. In the case of a dance or some ceremony where a significant other is openly named and acknowledged, then if the rules can apply to straight couples, they can apply to gay couples. If straight couples can dance, gay couples can dance. Why not? As I said, it is not my job or any other commander's job to acknowledge and bend to the intolerant of ANY type. If a member giving a speech wanted to thank Allah rather than God, are we going to kick them out?

And there's the other problem. IF we decided we were going to practice intolerance against LBGT, then what? How does one enforce that? Do we kick them out? Do we force them to stay quiet? Is CAP REALLY an enviornment where members should stay quiet about their particular beliefs (or genetic predispositions, depending on how you look at it) under threat of removal from an organization like ours?

CAP has NOTHING to do with homosexuality. It is not in our mission to openly support, oppose, advertise, teach, dissuade, or in any way react to the LBGT issue, as we do not react in any way to religion. Our mission is to conduct operations in Emergency Service, Aerospace Education, and Cadet Programs, and anything that falls outside of those categories is not of CAP's concern. Therefore, any allowances or relaxation of the regulations due to informal activities or ceremonies must apply equally to all members of CAP.
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

Strick

It is funny, we have to 2b a female cadet if she becomes pregnant but if your gay it's  OK!.   And yes I know some people think there is a difference but when I asked why we kick female cadets out for pregnancy, I WAS TOLD IT IS A MORALE ISSUE.
[darn]atio memoriae

MIKE

Mike Johnston