Main Menu

Dont ask Dont tell Policy

Started by CAPLAW, January 06, 2009, 01:36:43 AM

CAPLAW

I know a person who is gay and wants to join CAP.  This person asked me if it would be a issue like in the military.  Any comments on this.  This person would be a great assest to the squadron.  They are just worried about the issue if CAP was to find out about the lifestyle the have chose.

Pumbaa

yeah... "it's always a Friend"...

;)

davidsinn

Quote from: "JAFO" on January 06, 2009, 01:36:43 AM
I know a person who is gay and wants to join CAP.  This person asked me if it would be a issue like in the military.  Any comments on this.  This person would be a great assest to the squadron.  They are just worried about the issue if CAP was to find out about the lifestyle the have chose.

Shouldn't be. CPPT is in force for all 18yo+ members regardless of gender or orientation so nobody who is even slightly open minded should have a problem.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

NC Hokie

This will be a tough one.  CAP's nondiscrimination policy (first knowledgebase answer linked below) doesn't specifically address sexual orientation, but the relevant Air Force policy (second knowledgebase answer) appears to leave open the possibility that he could be denied membership on that basis.  A call to NHQ for clarification might be in order if confidentiality makes this impossible to send up the chain of command.

CAP policies on nondiscrimination

Air Force policies on nondiscrimination that apply to CAP
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Timbo

When I was a SQD CC, I was asked the same question.  I said, "I don't care who, or what you are, everyone is welcome to serve here.  All that I ask is that everyone who chooses to serve, leave their beliefs (either positive or negative) at the door and not to make reference to them".

As an Army Officer (really National Guard), I want as many capable people to serve with as I can get.  I don't care about backgrounds, upbringing, race, religion, income, or who they choose to love.  However, the military is different than CAP, in that there are discriminatory practices.  CAP is not allowed to discriminate on most any issue.  

My advice, tell the person that "Don't ask, don't tell" has no bearing on serving with CAP, but heterosexual or homosexual discussions of any kind are not tolerated, because we have Cadets as young as 12, and CAP is not the place they need to get their moral lessons in this area from.  Family is the place these young men and women will get life lessons in this area!!!

Flying Pig

Someones sexual preference is not important to CAP.  We are a CIVILIAN organization.  I know both openly gay and non-openly gay people in CAP.  There is no question to ask.  It doesnt apply to CAP.

IceNine

No Questions, No issue...

I don't like anyone to bring their personal life to CAP regardless of sexual orientation. 

The only issue comes when the conversations get uncomfortable and that is exclusive of orientation.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

cap235629

This is a copy of a post I made the last time this issue came up:

Just for the record, I do not think this is an issue.  And for those that do, YOU might want to rethink your position and membership with CAP as our current National Commander is a board member of the Servicemembers Legal Defense Network.

More info on SLDN can be found here:

http://www.sldn.org/pages/about-sldn

Here is the national board:

http://www.sldn.org/pages/sldn-board-of-directors

I sincerely doubt any issues about denying membership based upon sexual orientation would be looked highly upon at NHQ.

WE ARE NOT IN THE MILITARY FOLKS!

DON'T ASK DON'T TELL DOES NOT APPLY!

I just wish some of the folks on here would stop having these delusions that they are in the military and get on with the missions of CAP.
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

FW

If the members of your squadron think this individual would be a great addition to the unit, the answer is obvious.  "CAP" does not care about the personal lives of members unless they have lied on their application form, are not US citizens or have a waiver or, some other reason expressly mentioned in the regs.  

Pylon

The portion of your post above that I bolded holds you answer.  If the person would be a great asset to the squadron, you should make every attempt to recruit them.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Cecil DP

When I was on MAWG we had 1 Squadron with 4 Lesbians. All were capable and reached the grade of LtCol. One was became a Squadron Commander, Another the Wing PD Officer, Another was the Wing AEO of the Year. The last was and is very active in another wing and served at several National, Wing, and Region activities.

If this prospective member meets the qualifications and has the recommendation of the Unit Membership Committee, I would see no problem in accepting his membership. 
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Duke Dillio

As an organization, CAP should not discriminate against people due to their sexual orientation.  This question really isn't so much organizational as it will be cultural.  CAP might not care but some of the members might.  You might want to talk to your friend and explain this to him/her.  A good orientation on the complaint process might also be in order.  I personally don't really care whether the person loves men, women, dogs, birds, goats, sheep, or mountain lions (as long as they stay away from hamsters...)  There are people in this organization who will care.  Just know that the organization as a whole isn't like that, just certain people in it.

JAFO78

I agree with everyone here, basically who cares. I have worked around many and it did not bother me or anyone else at the company.

I say if you are comfortable with them let them join.
JAFO

Timbo

Quote from: Rob Goodman on January 06, 2009, 10:13:13 AM
I say if you are comfortable with them let them join.

Comfortable with them meeting the minimum requirements to join, like High School Diploma etc.......right?!?

Gunner C

I don't care, but no matter what your orientation is, don't rub my face in it.  One thing that gets my goat is someone insisting on telling me what he did on his date last night.  It's none of my business - I don't want to know what anyone does with their shower curtains!   :o

I worked for a 4-star who was gay.  He kept his personal business personal. He was one heck of a general.

Gunner

davedove

Quote from: Gunner C on January 06, 2009, 03:06:16 PM
I don't care, but no matter what your orientation is, don't rub my face in it.  One thing that gets my goat is someone insisting on telling me what he did on his date last night.  It's none of my business - I don't want to know what anyone does with their shower curtains!   :o

I worked for a 4-star who was gay.  He kept his personal business personal. He was one heck of a general.

Gunner

That's the proper way to do things.  Keep your personal business to yourself.  And, unless your cause is making your unit the best it can be, keep your causes to yourself.  When you join CAP, you're there to do CAP business.

It's called being professional.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Hawk200

There is really no way that CAP would even really know or need to know a person's orientation. It's a non-issue.

Personally, I have no problems with homosexuals of either gender. Some people do. I really see no reason for anyone to tell me they're gay, any more than I have any reason to tell them I'm straight.

I've heard the "Don't knock it till you've tried it" a couple of times(then again, they probably weren't serious offers). I've declined. There's never been a follow up. If there had been, it might in resulted in some fisticuffs. I don't care if both are the same gender, it's still sexual harassment. Keep it to yourself, I'll do the same.

CAP doesn't need to know, and the person doesn't need to come in parading it either. Don't give anyone reason to have a problem, and there shouldn't be any.

Nathan

Also, people should keep in mind the reason CAP was created...

It was created in order to keep those who COULDN'T join the military and fight in a war flying and doing something for their country.

In my mind, this might certainly include the gay community, who can be just as patriotic as any non-gay member.

I agree with the above. I don't tolerate seeing a male cadet and a female cadet holding hands during a meeting. I wouldn't tolerate seeing two married senior members kissing in the hallways. And I wouldn't tolerate a gay member bring his or her personal life into CAP either. CAP has a specific mission to accomplish, and if something else is brought from the outside that does not contribute to that mission in the context of personal relationships, then regardless of the orientation, it isn't acceptable.

As for the poster who brought up that OTHERS would have a problem with it, well, that really isn't my concern at all. I might recruit a Muslim that other members have problems with. I might recruit an African American that other members have problems with. It is not my job to pander to the sensibilities of intolerant people, regardless of where that intolerance lies, so long as the act in question is not specifically against regulations and/or illegal.
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

Timbo

^ Right on!  Keep your personal life outside of CAP, OUTSIDE OF CAP!

Can you do you job?  That is all I want to know about you. 

RiverAux

Since sexual orientation is not listed as one of the reasons for which membership will be denied or for which you can be kicked out of CAP, I don't see it as an issue.

JohnKachenmeister

Nathan got it right.

While we are not purely civilian, we exist (and have always existed) as a way for people who cannot serve in the military to serve their country and our Air Force in uniform.

From our earliest days the old, unfit, sick, lame, lazy, blind, crippled, and crazy have served in the CAP.  I see no reason why homosexuals cannot also serve.

I am no longer qualified for military service, due to my age, blood pressure, hearing, back problems from a series of accidents, and a psychiatric condition called "KMA Syndrome" that renders me pathologically unable to tolerate stupidity from people.  (That last condition struck suddenly, right after I got my 20-year letter!)  I can't point a finger at some other person who is unqualified for military service and tell them that their disqualification is somehow worse than mine.
Another former CAP officer

Timbo

^ Sir, homosexuals are not being stopped from serving in the military.  They just must not make their sexual orientation known to anyone in the service (I wish the policy would say "both homosexual and heterosexual, but it doesn't)  I see that posted here......"leave your beliefs and sexual talk at the door when reporting for CAP duty".  So really, CAP may actually have a don't tell policy, though not for the same reasons the DoD does, and instituted by local Commanders, not nationally.   

Honestly, in our politically correct society today, it is better to be less vocal and less demonstrative of your beliefs in public.  You run the risks of alienating others, and at the worst getting sued.  The military is the same way, since women serve right along side men.  The old cadences that you may have used in the 70's and 1980's will get you in a world of hurt in todays military.

RogueLeader

We're not even allowed to sing Jodi cadences or "Napalm sticks to Kids' anymore.  We were taught them, but told never to repeat them.  So listen the first time. . . .

Anyways, as far as CAP goes, I don't want to know who, what or how you did something in the past.  So that part doesn't bother me.  However, I don't want my kids to be told that homosexuality is ok.  I want cadets to be taught that everyone is woth the dignity that their humanity grants them. 
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Timbo

Quote from: RogueLeader on January 07, 2009, 10:21:05 PM
However, I don't want my kids to be told that homosexuality is OK.  I want cadets to be taught that everyone is Worth the dignity that their humanity grants them. 

That is why those people (both hetero and homosexual) need to leave their personal lives at the door and not make reference to sexual, political or social beliefs during any CAP activity.  We are not the moral and social educators of children in these fields.  Let school, parents and community help these children make informed decisions for themselves.

I am the first person that will ask two CAP members who happen to show affection for each other at a meeting TO LEAVE.  I don't care if they are dating, married or confused.  We have a job to do and those things get in the way of the job.

Simply......everyone can join as long as you don't turn the meeting into a heterosexual or homosexual indoctrination seminar.

I guess you can say that I Discriminate fairly against everyone.

D2SK

Sounds like your friend has issues that are far larger than "can they serve in CAP".
Lighten up, Francis.

John Bryan

Quote from: Timbo on January 08, 2009, 12:28:39 AM
However, I don't want my kids to be told that homosexuality is OK.  I want cadets to be taught that everyone is Worth the dignity that their humanity grants them. 

That is why those people (both hetero and homosexual) need to leave their personal lives at the door and not make reference to sexual, political or social beliefs during any CAP activity.  We are not the moral and social educators of children in these fields.  Let school, parents and community help these children make informed decisions for themselves.

I am the first person that will ask two CAP members who happen to show affection for each other at a meeting TO LEAVE.  I don't care if they are dating, married or confused.  We have a job to do and those things get in the way of the job.

Simply......everyone can join as long as you don't turn the meeting into a heterosexual or homosexual indoctrination seminar.

One I think we do educate each other and esp our cadets.....moral leadership. And if anything we push the wrong way....I have heard a number of CAP chaplains express what "their God" says about this issue. So too late....it is already an issue.

As for "leave their personal lives at the door and not make reference to sexual, political or social beliefs during any CAP activity. " Again not that easy. I would say no one should make out at a CAP event but what about a promotion ceremony. Normally a wife or husband can assist in promotion....is that making a statement of orientation? If a gay members partner helped promote him or her would that be wrong. What about in state where they are married? At last wing conference we had with a dance after my wife and I danced , was that ok? What if a gay member and his/her date danced? When I was Wing Commander I repeatedly thanked my wife for supporting me and told her I loved her....was that statement out of line? If a gay member thanked their partner would it be?

I have never had a problem not having PDA with my wife but everyone in the unit knew who she was and that we were husband and wife. Why would a gay member need to hide that?

You know I always thought that if I had lived in the 60's I would have had the courage to be against racism or if I was a German in the 30s and 40s I would have been willing to say hating Jewish people was wrong. But it is easy to say that now. It is safe to be open to people of different religions and races but there are still civil rights issues we must face not just as an organization but as a people. If RESPECT is a CORE VALUE then we need to except and RESPECT all people.

Interesting side note.....we are a CIVILAIN Aux of the USAF.....word on the street is the next CIVILAIN Secretary of the Navy will be an openly gay man. Maybe we all need to take a big step into the 21st century

Hawk200

Quote from: John Bryan on January 08, 2009, 02:31:08 AM
....I have heard a number of CAP chaplains express what "their God" says about this issue.

A good Christian won't say anything to that effect, unless asked. There's also an issue of not agreeing with the lifestyle, but not condemning it. A good chaplain will tell you it's not their place to judge.

In all fairness, it's not just Christians that are against homosexuality. I've known many atheist and agnostics that believe it to be wrong, too. Many of my fellow military members disagree with the lifestyle. It's completely unfair to paint only the religious with that particular brush. It's a prejudice just as much as disliking homosexuals or being racist.

Normally a wife or husband can assist in promotion....is that making a statement of orientation? If a gay members partner helped promote him or her would that be wrong. What about in state where they are married? At last wing conference we had with a dance after my wife and I danced , was that ok? What if a gay member and his/her date danced? When I was Wing Commander I repeatedly thanked my wife for supporting me and told her I loved her....was that statement out of line? If a gay member thanked their partner would it be?

Personally, I don't see a problem here. Do you actually think it's different for a gay partner to participate in the same manner as a straight one? Or are you try to instigate a response that you can pass judgement on?

I have never had a problem not having PDA with my wife but everyone in the unit knew who she was and that we were husband and wife. Why would a gay member need to hide that?

Again, not seeing an issue here. Your question isn't even related to the statement preceding it. PDA is PDA, and really inappropriate in any setting. The preference aspect is a non-issue.

You know I always thought that if I had lived in the 60's I would have had the courage to be against racism or if I was a German in the 30s and 40s I would have been willing to say hating Jewish people was wrong.

Racism is a learned behaviour. Although it's a concept that should have never sprouted, it still manages to thrive. Most people that are allowed to come to their own conclusions don't even see the point. My parents didn't teach me racism, but I have a feeling if I had developed racist attitudes, they would be disappointed. Prejudice against homosexuals is on the same plane as racism. Both ideas should have died before taking root.

But it is easy to say that now. It is safe to be open to people of different religions and races but there are still civil rights issues we must face not just as an organization but as a people. If RESPECT is a CORE VALUE then we need to except and RESPECT all people.

If you're saying things now because it's "safe", then you're doing it for the wrong reasons. The reason you should be doing it is because it's right. On another note, pay attention to your spellchecker, the word "except" and the word "accept" have opposite meanings.

Interesting side note.....we are a CIVILAIN Aux of the USAF.....word on the street is the next CIVILAIN Secretary of the Navy will be an openly gay man. Maybe we all need to take a big step into the 21st century

Not sure what is so interesting about it.

One, the civilian secretary of the Navy is a far different concept than the civilian auxiliary of the Air Force. One has nothing to do with the other.

Two, the fact that he is gay shouldn't even be relevant to the office he will hold. Unless he got the office because he's gay. If so, then that is no different that someone attaining an office because they're white, black, yellow, brown or purple. One should have nothing to do with the other. The position should have been earned because of personal qualifications, not because of personal preferences or ethnicity. To do so is insulting in so many aspects and to so many people it's beyond imagining.

John Bryan

1. Sorry for the typo accept.

2. I never said the word Christian , I said Chaplain (the fact that we dont have enough non Christian Chaplains is another issue/debate).....that said not all Christians are the same. A lot of views on orientation from Bishop Gene Robinson to Rev Fred Phelps....and a lot in between.

3. My main point (I was trying to make) is many posts seem to say that it is ok for a gay person to be a CAP member as long as they don't share the fact they are gay....keep it out of CAP. My point is our stright members don't hide anything.....why a double standard.

TEAM SURGE

As long as they don't express it or show it.
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

Timbo

Quote from: John Bryan on January 08, 2009, 05:44:33 AM
3. My main point (I was trying to make) is many posts seem to say that it is OK for a gay person to be a CAP member as long as they don't share the fact they are gay....keep it out of CAP. My point is our straight members don't hide anything.....why a double standard.

Actually in my Squadron now and the Squadron I commanded, I made it clear that PDA is not tolerated from anyone while at a CAP activity. 

There is no double standard.  Keep the fact that your are straight or gay to yourself.  Why do you have to flaunt that you are either to anyone.  No one cares about your sexual lifestyles. 

As far as your examples on husbands and wifes at the wing conference, no real example.  You can have anyone help promote you.  There is no need to say "helping to pin Captain on Lt Smith is his Gay Life Partner Jason", all that is needed is "helping to promote Lt Smith to Captain is Mr Jason Miller" (Names made up!)
We are not supposed to push lifestyles on our members.  There are politically correct ways to get around it, if you find yourself in that situation.

Hawk200

Quote from: John Bryan on January 08, 2009, 05:44:33 AM2. I never said the word Christian , I said Chaplain (the fact that we dont have enough non Christian Chaplains is another issue/debate).....that said not all Christians are the same. A lot of views on orientation from Bishop Gene Robinson to Rev Fred Phelps....and a lot in between.

Point taken. This also shows my own guilt of assumption. Yes, there are varying views, I guess a lot of it depends on the place of worship (I could say "church", but that would be assuming too). Many of those place are almost violently vocal against homosexual conduct, and won't even tolerate a gay individual inside their doors. Fortunately, my own church has no such views, all are welcome. If someone gay attends, their preference is not a concern. We believe that God moves a person to conviction, not other people.

I'd have to agree on a lack of other than Christian chaplains. Even the military has figured this out. The Air Force currently has chaplain insignia for Buddhist, Christian, Jewish, and Muslim. This is definitely a place that we need to mirror the Air Force.

Quote from: John Bryan on January 08, 2009, 05:44:33 AM3. My main point (I was trying to make) is many posts seem to say that it is ok for a gay person to be a CAP member as long as they don't share the fact they are gay....keep it out of CAP. My point is our stright members don't hide anything.....why a double standard.

Personally, I don't have a problem with homosexuals. I don't think it is appropriate for them to parade it, just as I would consider it inapproprate to hear any man talking about how many women he slept with in the past week.

All in all, I think it is generally assumed that if a person has not stated they are gay, it's assumed they're straight. It may not really be a case of anyone intentionally hiding something, it may be simply that it's not mentioned.

Right now, I don't even really know the sexual preferences of all the members in my unit. I also don't know how many of them like green as their favorite color. Nor do I care. It is not relevant to the mission, and as such doesn't belong. Sexual preference is a personal choice, not a public or professional one. It should not affect our operations.

DNall

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on January 07, 2009, 05:11:12 AM
From our earliest days the old, unfit, sick, lame, lazy, blind, crippled, and crazy have served in the CAP. 
And still do. BUT, I don't think CAP has ever been about people not able to serve in the military, but rather a way for the civilian population to aid the military mission. I would certainly hope that includes a large number of able-bodied folks, as many of our tasks very much require that.

QuoteI am no longer qualified for military service, due to... a psychiatric condition called "KMA Syndrome" that renders me pathologically unable to tolerate stupidity from people.  (That last condition struck suddenly, right after I got my 20-year letter!)

Maybe I have that too? I think it's caused by over-exposure to people with HUA syndrome. Which seems to be a whole lot of privates these days. Go figure.  >:D

In all honesty... Don't ask don't tell is VERY VERY VERY lightly enforced in the military. There are tons of people known to be gay - and I don't mean suspected - and nothing is done about it. Really, no one cares. It's don't ask, don't tell, don't pursue. You don't as a leader ask people you suspect, thereby harassing them with an implied threat to do something about it - which is usually more about outing them in general than UCMJ action. They don't go showing up in gay porn or gay pride parades making the military look bad. And they don't pursue a relationship with other people in the military.

I've seen instructors at infantry school that were in the flamboyant category & talked about living with their boyfriend across the river & taking him home to meet the parents. It's weird, but no one really cares. Anyone out in the gay community saying there's systemic discrimination is a liar. There is discrimination, in the same way that there's a drill sgt that gets charged with having relations with a trainee every couple years or a SNCO gets tagged for a relationship with an E-4. It happens, it shouldn't, and there are consequences when it does.

JohnKachenmeister

Dave:

My gut feeling is that if a person is able to serve in the RM, he can do lots more good for his country there than in the CAP.  And CAP will still be here waiting for him when his service has ended ready to use his experience.

And "Old" and "In good health" are not necessarily mutually exclusive!  ::)
Another former CAP officer

Flying Pig

I dont think its that people dont care, its that if you try to do anything about it, your career will be destroyed right along with the gay military member.  So I think the attitude is.."Whatever, Im not going to be labeled as a gay-basher."

hatentx

You know I had the same thought that its ok as long as they dont flaunt it in front of the Cadets.  Thinking back though I remember some of the Cadets over hearing a phone call with a potential date whom happened to call during a meeting.  I went around the corner to handle my non CAP related business just as if it was the Army calling but a couple of Cadets were on the other side of the building in ear shot hearing me talking about taking her out on a date and picking her up.  So I was not flaunting nor was I even around cadets so I thought and my sexual preference came out.  If this was around SM I dont see the issue being that we are all adults but now I guess I am wondering to be completely fair to both preferences how would be the best way.  Now thinking about it more I can recall being asked my a cadet if I was married, which seems like a harmless question from a cadet trying to get to know the SM in his squadron....  well now this really has me rethinking by natural everyday conversation my sexual preference has come out but if I was gay it would be an issue?

tjaxe

Quote from: Timbo on January 08, 2009, 12:28:39 AM

One I think we do educate each other and esp our cadets.....moral leadership. And if anything we push the wrong way....I have heard a number of CAP chaplains express what "their God" says about this issue. So too late....it is already an issue.

As for "leave their personal lives at the door and not make reference to sexual, political or social beliefs during any CAP activity. " Again not that easy. I would say no one should make out at a CAP event but what about a promotion ceremony. Normally a wife or husband can assist in promotion....is that making a statement of orientation? If a gay members partner helped promote him or her would that be wrong. What about in state where they are married? At last wing conference we had with a dance after my wife and I danced , was that ok? What if a gay member and his/her date danced? When I was Wing Commander I repeatedly thanked my wife for supporting me and told her I loved her....was that statement out of line? If a gay member thanked their partner would it be?

You know I always thought that if I had lived in the 60's I would have had the courage to be against racism or if I was a German in the 30s and 40s I would have been willing to say hating Jewish people was wrong. But it is easy to say that now. It is safe to be open to people of different religions and races but there are still civil rights issues we must face not just as an organization but as a people. If RESPECT is a CORE VALUE then we need to except and RESPECT all people.

Wow John... I loved your comment... just loved it.   :clap:

- Tracey, Captain
Public Affairs Officer, Professional Development, Logistics: NER-PA-160

PaulR

Quote from: Pumbaa on January 06, 2009, 01:39:44 AM
yeah... "it's always a Friend"...

;)

Inappropriate comment. 

As a civilian and mulitgendered organization, to bar someone because of sexual preference is illegal.  There should be no problems with homosexual members here.   This topic should be the last thing on anyone's mind.  PDA is not acceptable by anyone while at an event, so there is no issue... right.  It is not like we live in a squad bay or share communal showers these days.

Timbo

It doesn't matter.  The military's policy will be repealed, so says military times and other blogs. 

Gunner C

Quote from: Timbo on January 17, 2009, 04:27:45 PM
It doesn't matter.  The military's policy will be repealed, so says military times and other blogs. 

Right, wrong, or indifferent, I'm not so sure that's going to happen  as quickly as some people think.  Congress will have to amend/change the UCMJ.  Remember, Homosexual acts (not tendencies) are still against military law.

Gunner

SM-MADDOG

I agree that as long as the Members pass the required background cheecks and requirements set forth by CAP they should be allowed to servce in CAP. I dont see how that person asking such a question is saying they are in the Military. We arent Military We are Civil Air Patrol United States Air Force Auxiliary and the Air Force (Military) does have some regulations CAP must follow, now they may not have a regulation on the question that person asked, yet they do have regulations We ust follow, thats why we are the AF Auxiliary.

But I have My personal beliefs on that issue and many others, I wont say what My opinions are, I dont care what regulations the government makes, CAP or any other agency makes, I have a right to hold My Personal opinions to my self, yet I dont let that interfear in CAP. I joined to help my state and country not worry about what bill joe member sitting next to me thinks or does. As long as its nothing illegal I dont care. Thats him or her. I joined for Me and CAP. As long as that member isnt breaking regulations, doing illegal things or in dangering cadets or seniors they are fine by Me.

Quote from: cap235629 on January 06, 2009, 04:54:09 AM
This is a copy of a post I made the last time this issue came up:

Just for the record, I do not think this is an issue.  And for those that do, YOU might want to rethink your position and membership with CAP as our current National Commander is a board member of the Servicemembers Legal Defense Network.

More info on SLDN can be found here:

http://www.sldn.org/pages/about-sldn

Here is the national board:

http://www.sldn.org/pages/sldn-board-of-directors

I sincerely doubt any issues about denying membership based upon sexual orientation would be looked highly upon at NHQ.

WE ARE NOT IN THE MILITARY FOLKS!

DON'T ASK DON'T TELL DOES NOT APPLY!

I just wish some of the folks on here would stop having these delusions that they are in the military and get on with the missions of CAP.

2nd Lt, CAP

Nathan

I'm going to take a minute to address this post, since I think it was an important one. It IS an issue, but it SHOULDN'T be an issue. That's the reason we have these debates.

Quote from: John BryanAs for "leave their personal lives at the door and not make reference to sexual, political or social beliefs during any CAP activity. " Again not that easy. I would say no one should make out at a CAP event but what about a promotion ceremony. Normally a wife or husband can assist in promotion....is that making a statement of orientation? If a gay members partner helped promote him or her would that be wrong. What about in state where they are married? At last wing conference we had with a dance after my wife and I danced , was that ok? What if a gay member and his/her date danced? When I was Wing Commander I repeatedly thanked my wife for supporting me and told her I loved her....was that statement out of line? If a gay member thanked their partner would it be?

This is an excellent point, and one I think that people tend to think more about than they should. CAP has no regulations against being gay, so special treatment, regardless of how strictly the rules are applied, is completely out of the question.

So yes, in a perfect, form-driven world, there would be NO PDA or civilian life interference in CAP. Understandably, being a civilian organization, this is difficult to accomplish. So situations come up where the commanders can exercise their good judgment. In the case of a dance or some ceremony where a significant other is openly named and acknowledged, then if the rules can apply to straight couples, they can apply to gay couples. If straight couples can dance, gay couples can dance. Why not? As I said, it is not my job or any other commander's job to acknowledge and bend to the intolerant of ANY type. If a member giving a speech wanted to thank Allah rather than God, are we going to kick them out?

And there's the other problem. IF we decided we were going to practice intolerance against LBGT, then what? How does one enforce that? Do we kick them out? Do we force them to stay quiet? Is CAP REALLY an enviornment where members should stay quiet about their particular beliefs (or genetic predispositions, depending on how you look at it) under threat of removal from an organization like ours?

CAP has NOTHING to do with homosexuality. It is not in our mission to openly support, oppose, advertise, teach, dissuade, or in any way react to the LBGT issue, as we do not react in any way to religion. Our mission is to conduct operations in Emergency Service, Aerospace Education, and Cadet Programs, and anything that falls outside of those categories is not of CAP's concern. Therefore, any allowances or relaxation of the regulations due to informal activities or ceremonies must apply equally to all members of CAP.
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

Strick

It is funny, we have to 2b a female cadet if she becomes pregnant but if your gay it's  OK!.   And yes I know some people think there is a difference but when I asked why we kick female cadets out for pregnancy, I WAS TOLD IT IS A MORALE ISSUE.
[darn]atio memoriae

MIKE

Mike Johnston