Main Menu

1st sgt insignia?

Started by michigansergeant, March 20, 2006, 08:49:36 PM

michigansergeant

Hi,
    I was just shopping on vanguard and I noticed that under cadet insignia, they had a diamond shaped chevron that they called "first sgt insignia"  The description said that it was to be worn by all cadets under the rank of C/MSgt on, I believe they said, the right collar of the blues uniform.  Can anyone explain this to me, because I never have heard of this before?  Thanks!

MIKE

What do you want to know exactly?  ???

You have never heard of the First Sergeant device?  Or you that have never seen it used for serving Cadet First Sergeants who are C/TSgt and below?
Mike Johnston

Matt

The First Sergeant's Diamond for MSgt - CMSgt is on the same insignia because it has the top chevrons.  However, TSgt and SSgt do not, because of this, First Sergeants who are SSgt or TSgt where the seperate diamond within the chevrons.
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

arajca

It is an unauthorized device. The AF uses it to denote NCO's who are serving as in a First Sergeant position. Many CAP cadets (and seniors) think they can wear it when serving as a unit's First Sergeant, but it is not authorized in CAPM 39-1. The KB says the NB meant to approve it, 'forgot' to put it in. Since CAPM 39-1 is the sole source for uniform wear, if it isn't in the manual, it isn't authorized (barring changes and policy letters of which no address this device at this time). The word of a NHQ staffer - no matter how well respected they may be - doesn't override the manual.

In short, don't waste your money on it.

Eclipse

Ref: http://tinyurl.com/f2ocf

One member of a cadet squadron may fill the position of First Sergeant and wear the diamond on his/her grade insignia.

See Paragraph 1-2 (below) of CAPR 52-16 Cadet Program Management .
1-2. CADET ORGANIZATION AND STAFF.
a. The cadet staff is part of the organizational structure shown in CAPR 20-1, Organization of Civil Air Patrol . Although the squadron is the basic unit of CAP, it may be subdivided into flights and each flight may be subdivided into a maximum of four elements. An element leader commands each element and the flight has a flight commander, flight sergeant and a guide.
b. The cadet commander of the squadron is appointed by the squadron commander and has cadet officers on his or her staff and one first sergeant. Any cadet may fill a cadet staff position without regard to the cadet’s grade.

Cadets who are serving as the unit’s first sergeant may purchase a chevron with the first sergeant’s diamond screened between the upper and lower rockers of the top three NCO chevrons.

CHIEF MASTER SERGEANT W/FIRST SERGEANT DIAMOND CHEVRON

CAPMart has the following cadet grade insignia available:

C/MSgt Chevron, 646G
C/MSgt Chevron with First Sergeant’s Diamond, 646GA
C/SMSgt Chevron, 645
C/SMSgt Chevron with First Sergeant’s Diamond, 645A
C/CMSgt Chevron, 645B
C/CMSgt Chevron with First Sergeant’s Diamond, 645C

And yes, you are correct about 39-1 not containing this insignia, but obviously it was supposed to be in there - just like the grade tab was approved for the Goretex jacket, but not the jacket itself - when I am hauled in front of the JAG for allowing a cadet to wear this insignia, I will hold up the KB article, as well as military tradition and take my lumps.

Its also the possible it is not referenced because it is more a staff postion than a grade.

"That Others May Zoom"

Matt

I concur with the wear because I'm a traditionalist, or at least fastly becomming...

However, we cannot assume what the regs are meant to say, if we do, we end up with a UC controversy.  Secondly, the Knowledgebase, while helpful, is not regulation.  It can, as members due, state opinion, however, it cannot supplement regulations.  Meaning, they can say we can wear it, but it doesn't mean that we CAN wear it.

arajca

Quote from: Eclipse on March 20, 2006, 09:51:32 PM
See Paragraph 1-2 (below) of CAPR 52-16 Cadet Program Management .
1-2. CADET ORGANIZATION AND STAFF.
a. The cadet staff is part of the organizational structure shown in CAPR 20-1, Organization of Civil Air Patrol . Although the squadron is the basic unit of CAP, it may be subdivided into flights and each flight may be subdivided into a maximum of four elements. An element leader commands each element and the flight has a flight commander, flight sergeant and a guide.
b. The cadet commander of the squadron is appointed by the squadron commander and has cadet officers on his or her staff and one first sergeant. Any cadet may fill a cadet staff position without regard to the cadet's grade.

Cadets who are serving as the unit's first sergeant may purchase a chevron with the first sergeant's diamond screened between the upper and lower rockers of the top three NCO chevrons.
<snip>
Its also the possible it is not referenced because it is more a staff postion than a grade.
That argument would work if the command badge wasn't in CAPM 39-1. It is. It is the only staff/position badge listed in CAPM 39-1. Also, the current version of CAPM 39-1 is newer than CAPR 52-16 and therefore takes precedence over it in this case.

With all the uniform changes that the NB enacted this month, why didn't they add the diamond if they really meant to authorize it? ???

Matt

Quote from: arajca on March 20, 2006, 10:45:04 PM
[...]
With all the uniform changes that the NB enacted this month, why didn't they add the diamond if they really meant to authorize it? ???

Because it was too shiny with all the Brass reflecting off of it?

Pylon

Quote from: arajca on March 20, 2006, 10:45:04 PM

Right.  You cannot assume that our leaders meant to include something, so it's okay to wear it without an actual regulation.

I know for a fact that one of the Region Commanders handed Gen Pineda a fully-prepared, typed, and ready-to-go package authorizing the First Sergeant's device for cadets.  It even had the announcement letter from NHQ already prepared, just in needing of signature.   This was back in last October.  There's no reason that they couldn't have mulled it over and approved it by now, if they had the intention of doing so.  Clearly they don't.

Since CAPM 39-1 is exclusionary in nature, by its own defintion, "if it ain't in there, ya can't wear it."
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Matt

Quote from: Pylon on March 21, 2006, 02:30:41 PM
[...]
Since CAPM 39-1 is exclusionary in nature, by its own defintion, "if it ain't in there, ya can't wear it."

Quote from: LOOPHOLE

If safety is within the scope of concern, safety outweighs.

Eclipse

Since this is more an academic argument than a practical one, I disagree.

"That Others May Zoom"

Matt

;)

Tu-sche... For the case of the top diamonds, yes, 39-1 would indeed be the word.  I simply find it enlightening that no one has gotten around to actually authorizing it.

Nick

Quote from: Pylon on March 21, 2006, 02:30:41 PM

Right.  You cannot assume that our leaders meant to include something, so it's okay to wear it without an actual regulation.

I know for a fact that one of the Region Commanders handed Gen Pineda a fully-prepared, typed, and ready-to-go package authorizing the First Sergeant's device for cadets.  It even had the announcement letter from NHQ already prepared, just in needing of signature.   This was back in last October.  There's no reason that they couldn't have mulled it over and approved it by now, if they had the intention of doing so.  Clearly they don't.

Now Mike, I wonder why you happen to know this for a fact. ;)
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

lordmonar

On the other hand.....NHQ has taken no actions against anyone who has worn it, nor have they countermanded any of the wing supplements that allow it, nor have they countermanded any of the wing supplements that authorize any other additional badges of position (aka CAWG's First Sergeant Whistle).

If Knowledge base okays it, CAPMART (now Vanguard) sells it, and no one in the middle chain of command says otherwise, we can assume that it is, in fact, an authorized item.

While we need to be careful interpreting regulations, the belief that regulations are "exclusive" in nature is NOT true.

(that which is not specifically prohibitted is allowed within the sprit of the regulation)

Commanders (and leaders) at all levels are supposed be familiar with the regulations and are expected to follow the spirit and not the letter of the law.

This is true for Active Duty as well as CAP.  The writers of the regulations cannot anticipate all the different situations that may arise and therefore leave a lot of discretion in the hands of commanders.

Point in case.....if it were true that "if it ain't there you can wear it", then we cannot wear any Field gear with our BDU's.  Nor can we wear ponchos, or reflective vests.

We have discussed this issue many times....bottom line....if you don't like the First Sergeant Diamond don't let your cadets wear it.  If on the other hand you do like it and no one IN YOUR CHAIN OF COMMAND objects then wear it.

National obviously does not have a problem with it and has stated so explicitly through the Knowledgebase.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

arajca

Quote from: lordmonar on March 22, 2006, 07:55:36 AM
While we need to be careful interpreting regulations, the belief that regulations are "exclusive" in nature is NOT true.

(that which is not specifically prohibitted is allowed within the sprit of the regulation)
Except in this case, where CAPM 39-1 expressly states that it is exclusionary.

Matt

*Puts hand up as to make a comment*

Sir,

If Knowledge base okays it, CAPMART (now Vanguard) sells it, and no one in the middle chain of command says otherwise, we can assume that it is, in fact, an authorized item.

Not to be rude, but prove it.  Unless it is supplemented, it isn't.  This is based solely on, it is in no regulation.

Does that mean I can wear my Eagle Badge on my blues and my patch on my BDU left pocket?  It's not mentioned in the regs, but I can purchase it, pin it, and sew it.  Aside from my commander taking me out back for doing it, the answer would be no.  Not simply because it's out of discretion and taste, but it's not listed anywhere.

This is a true statement, simply because regulations by nature can be contradicted, and supplemented.  However, it is the baseline reference authorizing MINIMUM wear procedures.

???

Commanders (and leaders) at all levels are supposed be familiar with the regulations and are expected to follow the spirit and not the letter of the law.

Yes.  I would concur whole-heartedly.  I'm the cadet personnel officer, their uniforms are my responsibility.  I know the regs, or at least I pray that I do for the sake of my soap box.

I'm confused on the spirit portion, I think I'm following, but, it has me uneasy.  I'm going out on a whim, and assuming you are referring to the rule: if it looks military, go for it until someone complains about it.  To that: See disclaimer at the bottom.

This is true for Active Duty as well as CAP.  The writers of the regulations cannot anticipate all the different situations that may arise and therefore leave a lot of discretion in the hands of commanders.

And, that's why they also write it to be exclusive.  That way there is no room for error it's I/O.

Point in case.....if it were true that "if it ain't there you can wear it", then we cannot wear any Field gear with our BDU's.  Nor can we wear ponchos, or reflective vests.

Neg.  I'll go in order of argument.
Field Gear is required per 60-3 and the ground team guide.  No, it is not a regulation (the guidebook), and for that matter it's the minimum to accomplish the mission.  It's a stretch of an answer, but since we're on apples and oranges, I'll throw it in.

Ponchos and vests fall into the same: SAFETY.  I will not expand further, because I don't want to throw bananas in.

We have discussed this issue many times....bottom line....if you don't like the First Sergeant Diamond don't let your cadets wear it.  If on the other hand you do like it and no one IN YOUR CHAIN OF COMMAND objects then wear it.

:clap:  Commander's Discretion.

National obviously does not have a problem with it and has stated so explicitly through the Knowledgebase.

That's because knowledgebase is there idea.  Why would they take it away.  It provides helpful items, however, it does not set things in stone; unless, somewhere deep within CAPR 110-1 there is something that it does.

Quote from: Disclaimer
Please note: I am for the wear of the First Sergeant's diamond.  I am merely playing devils advocate.  I am also for the wear of the GoreTex Parka, and my personal favorite, the Unit Citation, based solely on the English language.

lordmonar

Quote from: arajca on March 22, 2006, 02:34:29 PM

(that which is not specifically prohibited is allowed within the spirit of the regulation)
Except in this case, where CAPM 39-1 expressly states that it is exclusionary.

So....do you or do you not wear un-authorized Field gear with your uniforms, never strapped a web belt and canteen on when you were at your last SAREX?  Have you ever worn a reflective vest while directing traffic at an Air show?  These items are not authorized by CAPM 39-1 and yet not only are they allowed the are actually mandated by other written instructions.

Are there not several regional and wing level supplements to the manual?  Those supplements are not in accordance with CAPM 39-1 as well. 

And yet NHQ does not seem to have a problem with this, so why should anyone else?
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Matt

Umm, CAPM 39-1 says you must be wearing a vest when participating in GT duties... and I know it's in there for flight line.

Quote from: CAPM 39-1, Page 32, Item 10.
Safety vest must be worn when participating in Ground Team activities.

Edit:
Quote from: CAPR 60-3, Page 11, 2-3 NOTE
All personnel will conduct training using the standardized National task guides.

Quote from: Ground & Urban Direction Find Team Guide, Page 4 (O-0001)
1. Your individual equipment is designed to keep you functional in the field and to help you do your job.
a. Equipment is divided into two parts -- the 24-hour pack for short activities (typical field gear) and the
72 hour pack for longer duration activities (typically called base gear). This gear list was derived from the gear
lists suggested by several CAP wings and other organizations including the National Association for Search and
Rescue (NASAR), and modified to meet CAP needs.
1) The 24 hour pack is what you carry while searching. As its name infers, in case of an
emergency, this equipment will help you survive in the wilderness for 24 hours. In addition, your 24 hour pack
is part of your uniform -- when the public sees you on a mission, they will probably see you wearing your field
gear. Because of this, your 24 hour pack must present a professional uniform appearance. Though packs do not
need to be identical, it is advantageous for unit members to have similar 24-hour packs. Every ground team
member will have this equipment.
2) The extended duration pack is designed to help you live in the field for more than one day,
typically 48 to 72 hours. It includes your sleeping bag, tent, and other long term comfort items. The extended
duration is not subject to uniformity -- color and size does not matter. The major constraint is how much you
can carry. Even if the mission is only expected to last one day, you should always bring your base gear. You
never know how long a mission will last, or whether you will go straight to another mission from the current
one.

That's where is says you wear field gear.

JAFO

Quote from: Matt on March 22, 2006, 03:26:57 PM
Umm, CAPM 39-1 says you must be wearing a vest when participating in GT duties... and I know it's in there for flight line.

Quote from: CAPM 39-1, Page 32, Item 10.
Safety vest must be worn when participating in Ground Team activities.

Edit:
Quote from: CAPR 60-3, Page 11, 2-3 NOTE
All personnel will conduct training using the standardized National task guides.

Quote from: Ground & Urban Direction Find Team Guide, Page 4 (O-0001)
1. Your individual equipment is designed to keep you functional in the field and to help you do your job.
a. Equipment is divided into two parts -- the 24-hour pack for short activities (typical field gear) and the
72 hour pack for longer duration activities (typically called base gear). This gear list was derived from the gear
lists suggested by several CAP wings and other organizations including the National Association for Search and
Rescue (NASAR), and modified to meet CAP needs.
1) The 24 hour pack is what you carry while searching. As its name infers, in case of an
emergency, this equipment will help you survive in the wilderness for 24 hours. In addition, your 24 hour pack
is part of your uniform -- when the public sees you on a mission, they will probably see you wearing your field
gear. Because of this, your 24 hour pack must present a professional uniform appearance. Though packs do not
need to be identical, it is advantageous for unit members to have similar 24-hour packs. Every ground team
member will have this equipment.
2) The extended duration pack is designed to help you live in the field for more than one day,
typically 48 to 72 hours. It includes your sleeping bag, tent, and other long term comfort items. The extended
duration is not subject to uniformity -- color and size does not matter. The major constraint is how much you
can carry. Even if the mission is only expected to last one day, you should always bring your base gear. You
never know how long a mission will last, or whether you will go straight to another mission from the current
one.

That's where is says you wear field gear.

In one statement, you say that you cannot wear a diamond, even though CAPR 52-16 authorizes it, because it's not in CAPM 39-1 and that is an exclusionary document. In another, you say that it is ok to wear field gear, because a task in the Ground Team and UDF task book says so, even though wear of field gear is not specifically authorized in the exclusionary CAPM 39-1.

Pick your poison...

arajca

Apples and oranges. The diamond is an insignia. Field gear is equipment.