Results of Winter Board meeting??

Started by ande.boyer, March 06, 2006, 06:13:15 PM

ande.boyer

There's a post over on capblog.typepad.com about some results of the winter board meeting.  Among the discussion are some uniform changes/additions and a mention of the IT specialty track being approved.

Does anyone have a link to some kind of "after action report" that states the official results of the meeting?  I've looked through the national site but, as usual, can't find what I'm looking for.

S!

pixelwonk

NB minutes are usually posted on cap.gov about 30 days after the board convenes.

arajca

Quote from: tedda on March 06, 2006, 06:33:10 PM
NB minutes are usually posted on cap.gov about 30 days after the board convenes.
At the earliest. It usually takes closer to 60-90 days.

pixelwonk

Quote from: arajca on March 06, 2006, 06:43:44 PM
Quote from: tedda on March 06, 2006, 06:33:10 PM
At the earliest. It usually takes closer to 60-90 days.

Not from what I've noticed for NB minutes. Others much longer.
Regardless, be prepared to hurry up and wait.

JAFO78

So far looks like uniform changes.
OK, better order from Vanguard now because it will take a year to get anything out of them.................

So when do we find out about the budget cuts ???
JAFO

shorning

Quote from: RobG on March 06, 2006, 07:52:52 PM
So when do we find out about the budget cuts ???

You didn't get the word that your CAP salary is going to be cut in half?!? :D

Personally, I'm not going to fret it.  "Do more with less".  We just need to adjust our way of thinking about funding things.

Major_Chuck

Silly us....person responsible for order processing at Vanguard previously worked on CAP Uniform Manual.

I would say we should know something come Spring 2006.
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

Eclipse

I attend a Commander's Call today and we were briefed on the results of the winter meeting.  Below are my notes, most of which are verbatim from the PPT slides.

This is likely the most structured summary you will see until the minutes are posted in the next month or two.

Special appointments to grade for members who are ex, and current members of the military will no longer be automatic, but instead will be based on their contribution to CAP.   The intention is to involve and train members to at least a base level of knowledge of CAP before appointment to advanced grade.  Level 1 completion and 6 months service would be considered the minimum achievement before consideration of appointment, but is up to CC's discretion.

New Identification cards should be available in April or May.

Budget reduced by $3.85 Million.

NHQ personnel reduced by 20% (31 people).
Possibility some money may be restored to the budget, but it would be for only one year, therefore RIF'ed personnel would not be rehired, instead recovered money would be used for programs.

No programs reduced.

Wing administrator positions still open

CAP is no longer a separate budget line item, but since 2001, CAP  has been incorporated into the USAF budget.  Thus the cuts for CAP along with the rest of the USAF.  One challenge for USAF is that "no one sees the airplanes", but everyone see the "boots on the ground" of the Army. The Army received no budget reductions.

USAF had praise for CAP Katrina efforts.

National Board meetings and similar sessions now available via a web video stream.
Connections have been raised to 65k total to potentially accommodate the entire membership watching.  The original cap was 11.5k connections and they were at capacity for much of the time. 
Several board members received text messages during the meeting to support votes or raise objections.

Planning to go 100% paperless.  No implementation date, or information how this would effect SUI's which currently require paper.

Proposal for the purchase of one twin-engine aircraft as a test, testing would include HLS missions, CD, and Agency Transport.  Plan would be for one in each region.

WIWG has the GA-8 for GLR.

New National Commander's Unit Citation approved.
First awards were to members of Louisiana and Mississippi Wing for Katrina activity.

All members with 50 years of service will now be recognized by NHQ.  Members with 50 years of CONTINUOUS service will receive membership dues waiver.

GLR CAP Chaplain Staff College will be 1 to 4 MAY 2006 at Wright Patterson AFB.
Also reminded us that CAP Chaplin training is identical to other military and many CAP Chaplains have been serving as base Chaplains and similar positions.

Special Appointment to officer grade were approved for current military NCO's.
E7= 1st Lt, E8=Capt, E9=Major

The US Attorney has indicated that posse comitatus does not apply to the DOD.
This exception may also apply to CAP, NHQ is investigating as this could increase our HLS tasking significantly, especially in regards to "surveillance vs. reconnaissance" missions.

First Air Force and Northern Command are monitoring WMIRS daily. It is imperative that all missions and similar activity be entered into WMIRS.

Looking at some "ugly" aircraft for HLS missions - low, slow, fix-gear twin, and a ducted fan single.

New AU/CC = Lt. Gen. Lorenz

New AETC/CC Gen. Looney.

USAF is changing office symbols to match the Joint Services
A1   DP   Personnel
A2   IN   Intelligence
A3    XOO   Operations
A4   LG   Logistics
A5   XOX   Plans
A6   DC   Communications

Good news - CAP support to Katrina was outstanding. All senior USAF Generals are aware of CAP.

Bad news - CAP support to Katrina was outstanding. All senior USAF Generals are aware of CAP.

Katrina operations are being considered the "bar" for performance going forward.
3 & 4 stars are now writing CAP into their plans,.
CAP is flying USAF mission daily, including many of a low-profile, classified nature.

USAF is entering a period of fiscal austerity.
   Worse in some parts, better in others.
   Aircraft being retired earlier than plan.

Uniform Changes

All indicated are effective immediately, or as soon as new parts are available. Noted that Vanguard is already shipping the new nameplates.

Replaced light-blue Nomex flightsuit with dark-blue Nomex flight suit. Sundown for existing suit is March 2009.

Embroidered dark blue cloth / white grade insignia for the new dark blue Nomex flight suit and dark blue utility jumpsuit.  No change to USAF-style green flight suit.

Black leather A-2 style jacket,  with standard black leather nametag and MAJCOM patch,  approved for wear over CAP distinctive uniforms including, either blue flight suit,
blue utility jumpsuit, aviator shirt, new distinctive uniform.  Not approved for wear over blue field uniform or ANY USAF style uniform.
Jacket displayed at the meeting was made by Cooper.

New CAP distinctive uniform approved (Seniors only)
Standard WHITE aviator shirt
USAF blue trousers
Standard USAF blue epaulet sleeves for grade without CAP on them.
Blue 2-line nametag displaying "CIVIL AIR PATROL" over "NAME" (no USAF Aux)
Same shoes and socks
"Working towards a CAP distinctive service dress uniform…

Wing patches removed from USAF blue blouses and all outerwear. This includes jackets, sweaters, raincoats, and all-weather coats. This is effective immediately and should be completed before Summer National Board meetings.

(note:  back channel has indicated that the wing patch is now optional on BDUs, field uniforms, flight suits, and utility jumpsuits, however there was some disagreement at the meeting regarding the certainty of this.  Suggest waiting for NHQ confirmation before making alterations to BDU's and flightsuits, etc.)

New Archer patch approved.

New HLS ribbon (first award at 5 HLS sorties, Bronze clasp at 10, Silver at 20)

New CISM specialty patch approved.

CAP distinctive grade for front tab on Gortex parka approved.
NOTE: The Gortex jacket itself HAS NOT BEEN APPROVED YET. This is being viewed as an oversight that will likely be corrected, possibly at the summer meetings, but because it is a USAF uniform item, it may need USAF approval, and there is a chance it will be denied.  Members are being advised to wait on purchasing a jacket until NHQ formally approves the garment itself.

Black T-Shirt approved for wear with dark blue field uniform and utility jumpsuits.

Left pocket of BDUs and blue field uniforms will be the new optional location for patches displaced by the US flag (i.e NESA, AFRCC, NBB, etc).

IT Specialty badge was approved, however the specialty track itself is not complete, and the USAF took exception to the use of their eagle on the badge, so it will be redesigned.

"That Others May Zoom"

smj58501

Quote from: Eclipse on March 12, 2006, 04:36:16 AM

The US Attorney has indicated that posse comitatus does not apply to the DOD.
This exception may also apply to CAP, NHQ is investigating as this could increase our HLS tasking significantly, especially in regards to "surveillance vs. reconnaissance" missions.

I find this interesting since the Posse Comitatus Act of 1878 was written specifically for the armed forces. Exceptions are the National Guard when they fall under the Governor's control (basically all the time except when they are federalized for active duty service). Did this US Attorney perhaps mean the Posse Comitatus Act does not apply to  CAP as an AF Auxilliary vs. DoD as a whole? I know you were passing along notes from someone who was at the meeting, but I am just curious.
Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP

Eclipse

I believe this is related to President Bush's stance that the military be used more proactively in times of natural disasters - for things like stockpiling vaccines, quelling unrest, quarantining areas, etc.  This change would be primarily for civilian employees of the DoD.

In relation to CAP, no changes or decisions have been made.  I believe this is an inference that they MIGHT be able to stretch the above for CAP as well. 

Nothing's been said further yet.  We're still PC for today.

"That Others May Zoom"

Viper

I attend a Commander's Call today and we were briefed on the results of the winter meeting.  Below are my notes, most of which are verbatim from the PPT slides.

This is likely the most structured summary you will see until the minutes are posted in the next month or two.

Thanks, sir.  I was looking for a set of notes.

Special appointments to grade for members who are ex, and current members of the military will no longer be automatic, but instead will be based on their contribution to CAP.   The intention is to involve and train members to at least a base level of knowledge of CAP before appointment to advanced grade.  Level 1 completion and 6 months service would be considered the minimum achievement before consideration of appointment, but is up to CC's discretion.

Sounds alot like MER's rule.  We still have DoD Field Grade Officers who have been in my Squadron for two years, and have submitted CAPF 2a's every month and they get rejected "because [they] will out-rank [the Sq/CC]"   That's not right at all.

shorning

Quote from: Viper on March 16, 2006, 01:09:27 AM
Sounds alot like MER's rule.  We still have DoD Field Grade Officers who have been in my Squadron for two years, and have submitted CAPF 2a's every month and they get rejected "because [they] will out-rank [the Sq/CC]"   That's not right at all.

What's their justification for promotion?  Just the fact that they are military officers?  That's allowed, but not automatic....regardless of grade.  Same can be said of former "milestone award" cadets, or professional appointments.

Eclipse

This is a common and silly problem I am hearing more and more as I start to touch units outside IL - based on the general misconception that grade=authority, which is not always the case.

Authority comes from your command posting, not grade.  An officer outside your chain of command, in most circumstances, cannot tell you what to do, so having Lt. Col.'s in my unit does not impact my ability to lead (command them).

I have to say "Sir", salute, and pay them due courtesy, but they have to listen to me otherwise.

Now, with that said, and owing to the voluteer nature of the organization, that doesn't mean I don't confer and even defer (at times), to the wisdom of those who have gone before me, either through TIG-professional development accrual of grade, or professional appointments.

"That Others May Zoom"

Viper

Quote from: Eclipse on March 17, 2006, 12:36:22 AM
This is a common and silly problem I am hearing more and more as I start to touch units outside IL - based on the general misconception that grade=authority, which is not always the case.

Authority comes from your command posting, not grade.  An officer outside your chain of command, in most circumstances, cannot tell you what to do, so having Lt. Col.'s in my unit does not impact my ability to lead (command them).

I have to say "Sir", salute, and pay them due courtesy, but they have to listen to me otherwise.

Now, with that said, and owing to the voluteer nature of the organization, that doesn't mean I don't confer and even defer (at times), to the wisdom of those who have gone before me, either through TIG-professional development accrual of grade, or professional appointments.

Exactly, sir.  That's what I learned when I was in AFJROTC, when the out-going Cadet Wing Commander was promoted to Cadet Colonel, while the incoming was promoted to Cadet Lieutenant Colonel

Nick

Quote from: Viper on March 20, 2006, 07:21:11 PM
Exactly, sir.  That's what I learned when I was in AFJROTC, when the out-going Cadet Wing Commander was promoted to Cadet Colonel, while the incoming was promoted to Cadet Lieutenant Colonel

That's nothing real new... it's done as a "nice parting gift" for outgoing cadet commanders so they can have on record that their final grade was cadet colonel.  My unit did the same thing.
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus