What coat do you where with the blues when its cold out not a service coat.

Started by Hoorah, November 18, 2008, 12:34:36 AM

Pumbaa

I wear whatever will keep me warm!  temps get down below zero out here.  Add in windchill factor too.  It is now dark by 4:30 in NY, we just got 2 feet of snow from the lakes.

I tell my cadets wear what will protect them.

Safety and comfort/warmth are paramount.  If some uniform weenie wants to complain about my outer garment then I'll throw him in a snowbank and let him think about it!

They wear winter over garments to the meeting and remove them.  When meeting is over they put them back on and head home.  No detours.

Hoorah

Pumbaa

DC

No, you cannot.

CAPM 39-1 has a list of outerwear permitted with blues in chapter 2, I would look there for a complete list.

Also, mods, shouldn't this be in the uniform forum?

Hoorah

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: capcadetwilliams on November 18, 2008, 12:57:46 AM
list what coats are allowed with blues please.

Lightweight blue jacket with (or without) liner
All weather coat
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Major Carrales

Quote from: DC on November 18, 2008, 12:52:20 AM
No, you cannot.

CAPM 39-1 has a list of outerwear permitted with blues in chapter 2, I would look there for a complete list.

Also, mods, shouldn't this be in the uniform forum?

Sorry, I cannot totally agree.  If the conditions are such that there is a reasonable health risk, I would suggest one err on the side of safety.  Sometimes the weather can change so rapidly that it is of better practice to remember that one needn't die (or contract pnemonia) for uniform wear.

Ideally if you are wearing a long coat over your blues, and no one can see you are even in a unifrom...are you really in uniform?

Food for thought.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Hoorah

Major Carrales

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on November 18, 2008, 01:06:30 AM
Quote from: capcadetwilliams on November 18, 2008, 12:57:46 AM
list what coats are allowed with blues please.

Lightweight blue jacket with (or without) liner
All weather coat

I like the Lightweight blue jacket, its cut is pleasing to me.  I also have an all weather coat but have yet to wear it.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Hoorah

DC

I would wear a dark blue, or black civilian jacket if you have nothing else, then, depending on weather, a lightwieght jacket (my preference) or an All Weather Coat.

I highly encourage looking at CAPM 39-1 for more information.
Quote from: capcadetwilliams on November 18, 2008, 01:10:59 AM
could you find something like that a military surplus tore
Possibly. AAFES or a Base MCSS will have them.

Pumbaa

CAP MANUAL 39-1 From page 49 graph.

9. Outer garments

Wear outdoors and remove in an office environment; use good judgment in choosing appropriate garments for wear based on weather conditions and duties.  

Emphasis mine

Hoorah

Pumbaa

People define cold...  Currently it is 31 and snowing where I am.  By January we will dip below 10-20 degrees below zero.  Windchill will make it minus 30.

The lightweight jacket or overcoat IS NOT APPROPRIATE WINTER WEAR for most of the North east or northern states like Alaska or Minnesota!

If a cadet comes to a meeting wearing a winter parka, I am not going to say a freak'n word about his/her outer wear.

Major Carrales

Quote from: Pumbaa on November 18, 2008, 01:16:18 AM
People define cold...  Currently it is 31 and snowing where I am.  By January we will dip below 10-20 degrees below zero.  Windchill will make it minus 30.

The lightweight jacket or overcoat IS NOT APPROPRIATE WINTER WEAR for most of the North east or northern states like Alaska or Minnesota!

In South Texas 40-30 degress F is considered cold and people actually start getting sick around there.  Cold is cold, if you are some 30 degrees colder than the norm...it is definded as cold.  While an Alaskan can go in shorts in such weather, South Texas (used to 90-100) can experience cold at other temperatures.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Hoorah

DC

Conversely, I'm pretty cold here in FL at a bone chilling 46 degrees.. Got the heat on, a fire going, and extra blankets on the bed....

Pumbaa

Major you are correct.  

By winters end I will go out in just a light sweater in 20 degree weather.  If I am shoveling snow just a sweatshirt and ball cap (pants too wise guys) will do for me.

However for 2 months or more the weather is quite a bit colder than that.  We go for a month or so of sub zero weather... Add in the wet deep snow, ice, etc.  You have a need for a lot more than a light jacket, sweater or over coat.

See my post above from page 49.  that pretty much ends the debate

"use good judgment in choosing appropriate garments"

Also From Page 15. Chapter 2.
e.  Sweaters, men's and women's outergarments, and headgear are also covered.  Outergarments are items worn outdoors and removed in an office environment.  Members should use good judgment in choosing appropriate garments for wear based on weather conditions and duties.