2006 New York Wing Encampment

Started by dwb, February 17, 2006, 11:00:25 PM

dwb

The 2006 NYWG encampment will again take place at Stratton ANG Base in Scotia, NY.

The encampment will run 22-29 July, with staff reporting on the 20th and departing on the 30th.

There will be two preparatory workshops, a staff selection and a planning/development weekend.  The selection will take place 19-21 May, and the planning weekend is 9-11 June.

The encampment commander is Maj Randy Anger.

Applications are now being accepted for cadet and senior staff.  The registrar is Maj Marylou Falco, and applications should be sent to her.

skandalintegra

How hardcore does NYWG get?  I've always wanted to go to NY.
C/1st Lt Daniel Jackson
California Wing

dwb

I haven't been to an encampment since 2003, so I can't really answer your question.

When we had encampments at Fort Drum (and Camp Smith before then), I always thought we put on a good show.  The cadets were challenged, but we didn't do stupid things like bearing checks (at least, I didn't).

From what I understand, NYWG puts on one of the better encampments in the country, up there with CAWG, Tri-Wing, and GLR-North.

Maj Anger is a really good dude, he was an encampment commander back in the 80s and now he is again, after being deputy for a couple years.  I'm sure he'll see to it that the encampment is worthwhile.

Pylon

Quote from: skandalintegra on February 24, 2006, 06:50:25 AM
How hardcore does NYWG get?  I've always wanted to go to NY.

New York Wing encampments, for me, have always been a great time and I've been to 5 of them.  I agree with Dan that I would say NYWG's is in the top 5 encampments out there.

When we were at Fort Drum, encampment sizes were huge, about 290 people at the last one there.  The switch to Scotia slightly altered the capacity, but the numbers are building back up.

I don't think I'll make it this year (spending my vacation days elsewhere), but I would highly recommending checking it out if you're in the area.  Out-of-wing cadets would be a cool addition to the mix.  It just might be tough getting in, since usually a number of NYWG cadets get wait listed and deferred each year.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

skandalintegra

Oh, wow, even in-state cadets are turned down? That's nuts.  We commonly get Oregeon, Arizona, Nevada and California cadets at our Encampments.  Then there are the other states as well.  I'm checking into the COWG encampment either this year or next, because that one is held at the Academy I hear.  My CC says I can make 1st Sgt for the next encampment.. its my goal.  :o
C/1st Lt Daniel Jackson
California Wing

dwb

2006 Encampment web site is up:

http://www.nywgcadets.org/enc2006/index.html

There's a bad link in the menu for the staff workshops.  I've got an E-mail in to the webmaster to correct it.

arajca

Quote from: skandalintegra on February 26, 2006, 09:29:49 AM
Oh, wow, even in-state cadets are turned down? That's nuts.  We commonly get Oregeon, Arizona, Nevada and California cadets at our Encampments.  Then there are the other states as well.  I'm checking into the COWG encampment either this year or next, because that one is held at the Academy I hear.  My CC says I can make 1st Sgt for the next encampment.. its my goal.  :o
This year, the COWG Encampment is being held at Ft. Carson instead of the AFA Prep School. I don't know why, although I think it is because of scheduling conflicts with the AFA.

skandalintegra

C/1st Lt Daniel Jackson
California Wing