Does anyone have the new L-PER?

Started by jimmydeanno, October 27, 2008, 08:15:33 PM

jimmydeanno

I'm thinking about buyin a new L-PER and was wondering if anyone had any feedback yet.  Reading the specs and the instructions it seems like a good unit - it even floats :)

I like that you can program frequencies in so you don't need to worry about buying a new one with the 406 conversion - but everything looks good on paper like the seimac version.  I'd like to hear some testimonials if possible before I drop $750.00 on this thing.

http://www.ltronics.com/index.htm

Thanks, I appreciate it in advance.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Eclipse

One of my guys has a personal one, and several units in my wing bought them, and all indications are they work great.

Quote from: jimmydeanno on October 27, 2008, 08:15:33 PM
I like that you can program frequencies in so you don't need to worry about buying a new one with the 406 conversion

DF frequencies don't change in Feb, you still DF on 121.5. The 406 signal is a data burst you can't use for DF'ing.

"That Others May Zoom"

SJFedor

One of the units in my Group dropped the massive amounts of coin to purchase one. I've been with them and used it on quite a few training and actual missions. Works like a charm, much better then the Seimac paperweights.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

lordmonar

We've got one...I used it on a carrier only mission and it worked great!

Much easier to use than the old L-per.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SoCalCAPOfficer

Our squadron has one and it works great.  It has never taken me more than 15 minutes to find an ELT with it, usually much less time.
Daniel L. Hough, Maj, CAP
Commander
Hemet Ryan Sq 59  PCR-CA-458

jimmydeanno

Quote from: lordmonar on October 27, 2008, 10:24:30 PM
We've got one...I used it on a carrier only mission and it worked great!

Much easier to use than the old L-per.

It says that it has a feature to make the carrier signals audible, how well does that work?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

IceNine

I've been using the "new" one so long that we had to send it back for an update already.

I love the thing, and would put it up against any other DF unit on the market.

Like all of these types of units it does have <some> issues when you get close, but it gets you remarkably closer that the old unit, or the other units I've used.

As for making carrier audible, we used it one time works pretty good especially considering that otherwise you'd have little to go on.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

♠SARKID♠

Jimmydeanno, I don't know how cold your winters get in New Hampshire, but I've heard rumors around WIWG that the cheeseblock's LCD screen will freeze in cold weather (I've had this happen with other LCD devices left in my vehicle outside).  Just a thought you may need to consider, I've never used it myself.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on October 31, 2008, 10:35:26 PM
Jimmydeanno, I don't know how cold your winters get in New Hampshire, but I've heard rumors around WIWG that the cheeseblock's LCD screen will freeze in cold weather (I've had this happen with other LCD devices left in my vehicle outside).  Just a thought you may need to consider, I've never used it myself.

Hmmm...that's a good consideration.  While the winters on average over the last 10 years have become milder, temperatures are still well below freezing.  I've had this happen to an older GPS unit that I have, but it usually fixes itself after a couple minutes of being on as the current warms up the crystal...

Main reason I'm thinking of buying one is because I can't stand the semiac one, the thing (to me) is counterintuitive, seems to always point right and seems to have problems the closer I get to the target.  Looked at the sniffer, and IIRC I'd have to make my own antennas and mounting plate, etc - too much of a pain for me.

Thanks for the feedback so far - still haven't made my decision though...

RiverAux

Quoteand IIRC I'd have to make my own antennas
or you could just buy one as Joe T recommended....

KyCAP

We have a pair of them in Ky Wing.   One also long enough to have firmware upgraded.   That one actually had some batteries stored in them (no no) and we shipped it back to L-tronics.   They fixed it for FREE.   Hats off to them..

All users who have compared the seimac to the L-Tronics have in my experience voted to use the L-Tronics.

NHQ needs to EBAY the SEIMAC, recover the cash and buy L-Tronics units.  I would gladly trade my two SEIMAC's for ONE L-TRONICS and call it a day.
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing

BigMojo

Quote from: RiverAux on November 01, 2008, 02:40:27 PM
Quoteand IIRC I'd have to make my own antennas
or you could just buy one as Joe T recommended....

or the one I recommend...
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Emergency Services Officer
Group 6, Florida Wing