Main Menu

Promtion 'alert'

Started by sburrows, October 03, 2008, 05:53:09 PM

sburrows

I recently joined CAP in July.

Because I have my private pilot certificate, I submitted for promotion to 2Lt.

I've been waiting for that to become official, it's been several weeks (pushing a month).

To see if the promotion has been recorded, I am signing in to eServices often (can you tell I'm looking forward to this?)

Is there an email announcement when this has been completed similar to being assigned a duty position or being placed into a specialty track....

tx!
Stephen Burrows, Capt., CAP
Stratford Eagles Squadron; CTWG
Squadron Finance Officer
Squadron Assistant Medical Officer

Pylon

I've never received an email notification when the promotion goes through; no.  I guess you just have to check.

Did you submit via paper CAPF 2?  Because the squadron commander is the approving authority for 2d Lt for mission-related skills promotions.  Your immediate supervisor and the squadron commander have to certify that you are contributing those mission-related skills to CAP, have completed Level I and are otherwise eligible for CAP officer grade and that's it.  It's not classified under the "professional promotions" and thus does not need wing approval (ref CAPR 35-5, Section 1-5, g and Section 4-2).    The squadron commander would sign it and fax it directly to NHQ -- it would post within 1 to 2 business days from faxing the signed CAPF 2.  If technically saavy, the form can also be scanned and emailed to lmmeforms@capnhq.gov for even quicker turn-around time.

If you're waiting more than several days, than the hold-up is with your squadron commander.  Therefore, use your chain of command and find out what the deal is from him or her.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

arajca

Have you completed:
Foundations
OPSEC
CPPT

If you haven't, your promotion will be held.

Eclipse

Did your unit CC or actually tell you to expect the promotion?

There is no way a new member can be contributing as a pilot before they reach 6 months, at which time you would be eligible for promotion in any case.

My wing, for example, requires that a member be capable and functioning in a respective capacity before considering advanced promotion, and the general rule is that everyone waits their 6 months.

"That Others May Zoom"

DNall

^ training to Fm5 is contributing those skills, just like a financial manager would be enrolled in the tech rating & assume the staff position. They still are not qualified in CAP to do that function w/o supervision until they have the rating. Operational readiness is not the standard, though maybe it should be. And, as it's local approval, your Wg/CC really doesn't have much say in it.

sburrows

Thanks to all who replied.

Here are answers to questions (they were likely rhetorical, but I'll answer anyway)

My Form 2 was completed and signed by my Commander. In addition, I provided a copy of both my pilot certificate and medical. He said he submitted, actually twice as I've been following-up with him regularly.

Level I, CPPT, OPSEC all completed prior to submitting!

Squadron Finance Officer

jimmydeanno

There seems to be a tragic delay in the processing of special appointment promotions this year.  We have about 6 people we submitted these for.  The first one was just submitted to Wing in May, submitted by Wing to NHQ in May and processed in September.  The second was was in June and processed about 2 days ago.

Not sure what is going on.

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

DNall

Are yall submitting these to the right place at NHQ (as described above)? They are usually fairly responsive up there. You should be able to call/email & follow up to track it if need be.

SilverEagle2

Is your CC Faxing or emailing them? They are really quick with those. They seem to be loosing a lot of snail mail at National lately. I had to resubmit my Form 12 paperwork and send it certified just to insure it was not lost.

After that, my CC faxed all the Form 2's for my prior Cadet Work and the like.

Just a thought.
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

Phil Hirons, Jr.

I was told that the new fax machines at NHQ are not very good and are "losing" paperwork. I'd recommend scanning docs and e-mailing to the addres on the pubs & regs page

LtCol Hooligan

I would e-mail lmmeforms@cap.gov or Susie Parker directly with copies of the forms.  Make sure to cc your SQ/CC and have him/her reply to all with a message that says "I approve".  It'll be done within the day.
ERIK C. LUDLOW, Lt Col, CAP
Director of IT; Director of Cadet Programs
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.ndcap.us

DNall

Just curious, but is "lmmeforms@cap.gov" maybe now changed with all the other NHQ email addresses to "NHQCAP.gov" or whatever it is?

Cecil DP

Quote from: Pylon on October 03, 2008, 06:06:33 PM
I've never received an email notification when the promotion goes through; no.  I guess you just have to check.

Did you submit via paper CAPF 2?  Because the squadron commander is the approving authority for 2d Lt for mission-related skills promotions.  Your immediate supervisor and the squadron commander have to certify that you are contributing those mission-related skills to CAP, have completed Level I and are otherwise eligible for CAP officer grade and that's it.  It's not classified under the "professional promotions" and thus does not need wing approval (ref CAPR 35-5, Section 1-5, g and Section 4-2).    The squadron commander would sign it and fax it directly to NHQ -- it would post within 1 to 2 business days from faxing the signed CAPF 2.  If technically saavy, the form can also be scanned and emailed to lmmeforms@capnhq.gov for even quicker turn-around time.

If you're waiting more than several days, than the hold-up is with your squadron commander.  Therefore, use your chain of command and find out what the deal is from him or her.

Mission related skills require processing through Wing, not directly to National. Besides being a pilot are you listed on the Wing's list of aircrew? This may be the problem. Check with your Group and Wing Personnel Officers. They would have had to process the appointment. 
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

IceNine

It's not wings problem.

Mission Related Skills promotions are at the hands of the same approving authority as the Duty Performance Promotions.

1 and 2 Lt's are Squadron CC
Capt is Group CC

Quote from: 35-5f. Captain. The group commander is the promoting authority for members assigned to group headquarters and subordinate units of the group except professional appointment promotions. The wing commander is the approving authority for professional appointment promotions. NOTE: In the absence of a group structure, the wing commander is the approving authority for promotions to the grade of captain for members of the wing.

g. First and Second Lieutenant. The squadron commander is the promoting authority for all members assigned to his/her unit for all promotions except professional appointment promotions. The wing commander is the approving authority for all professional appointment promotions.

Quote from: 35-5 definition of Professional Appointment5-1. General. This section prescribes the requirements and procedure for initial appointment and subsequent promotion of CAP members who serve as chaplains, character development instructors, health service personnel, legal officers, professional educators serving as aerospace
education officers and financial professionals serving as finance officers. For the purpose of this regulation, the following definitions apply:

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Pylon

Quote from: Cecil DP on October 04, 2008, 12:17:37 AM
Mission related skills require processing through Wing, not directly to National. Besides being a pilot are you listed on the Wing's list of aircrew? This may be the problem. Check with your Group and Wing Personnel Officers. They would have had to process the appointment. 

Sorry, Col, but IceNine and I are correct on this one.  That's why I included the two reg cites in my original post.  Mission-related skills promotions and duty performance promotions are approved at the regular approving authority echelon -- Squadron CC for 1st and 2d Lt.  The Private Pilot ticket to 2d Lt promotion falls under Mission-related skills.   

Wing only must approve for Professional Appointment promotions (such as Legal Officer, Chaplain, etc.) and all Major/Lt Col promotions.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Major Carrales

Quote from: Pylon on October 04, 2008, 01:29:29 AM
Quote from: Cecil DP on October 04, 2008, 12:17:37 AM

Sorry, Col, but IceNine and I are correct on this one.  That's why I included the two reg cites in my original post.  Mission-related skills promotions and duty performance promotions are approved at the regular approving authority echelon -- Squadron CC for 1st and 2d Lt.  The Private Pilot ticket to 2d Lt promotion falls under Mission-related skills.   

Wing only must approve for Professional Appointment promotions (such as Legal Officer, Chaplain, etc.) and all Major/Lt Col promotions.

So, how does this work?  I'm assuming you are not talking about in e-services.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

IceNine

Nope, only duty performance promotions are done in e-services. (But I assume you know that)

CAPF 2 signed by approving authority and emailed to NHQ will do the trick
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

LtCol Hooligan

Quote from: DNall on October 03, 2008, 09:14:06 PM
Just curious, but is "lmmeforms@cap.gov" maybe now changed with all the other NHQ email addresses to "NHQCAP.gov" or whatever it is?

Yes, sorry, the correct e-mail address is lmmeforms@capnhq.gov.

sburrows

Yes, it is lmmeforms@nhqcap.gov; email sent to cap.gov bounces back....
Squadron Finance Officer

LtCol Hooligan

Quote from: sburrows on October 08, 2008, 12:35:49 PM

Yes, it is lmmeforms@nhqcap.gov; email sent to cap.gov bounces back....

You made me second guess myself so I went back and confirmed that according to www.cap.gov, it is lmmeforms@capnhq.gov - not another varient of that.  Take a look on http://level2.cap.gov/visitors/member_services/publications/forms_word.cfm to see what I found.

sburrows

You made me second guess myself so I went back and confirmed that according to www.cap.gov, it is lmmeforms@capnhq.gov - not another varient of that.  Take a look on http://level2.cap.gov/visitors/member_services/publications/forms_word.cfm to see what I found.

Yes, you are correct. Sorry for the quick typing....  ???
Squadron Finance Officer