Main Menu

MOVSM

Started by hatentx, October 02, 2008, 04:25:21 PM

hatentx

So my unit is putting me in for the MOVSM and I am wondering in the Army if that is worth promotion points?  Also can you receive the award more than once.  The regulation is not specific on how many hours what are some hour that ya'll have seen it be awarded for.  Also if this is a military award could this be awarded to CAP Personell through the airforce?

Pylon

Quote from: hatentx on October 02, 2008, 04:25:21 PM
So my unit is putting me in for the MOVSM and I am wondering in the Army if that is worth promotion points? Also can you receive the award more than once. 

Don't know if this applies to you or not:  http://www.ansbach.army.mil/sites/commander/policyletters/26.pdf

It would appear to suggest that a MOVSM is worth 5 points (up to max of 10 if received twice) for E-4's and E-5's. 

Quote from: hatentx on October 02, 2008, 04:25:21 PMThe regulation is not specific on how many hours what are some hour that ya'll have seen it be awarded for.

The criteria seems to indicate that it's for long-term, sustained volunteering.  In other words, working a one-weekend volunteer event won't qualify you for the MOVSM.  However, many months of working with Civil Air Patrol should qualify you.  In the end, it comes down to the discretion of the approving authority.

Quote from: hatentx on October 02, 2008, 04:25:21 PM
  Also if this is a military award could this be awarded to CAP Personell through the airforce?

No.  The Air Force rarely, if ever nowadays, awards CAP personnel any AF medals or decorations even when civilians are authorized to receive those awards.  It has been a repeated discussion on CAPTalk.  In any case, the MOVSM is clearly intended to recognize military personnel who take the time to volunteer extensively on top of their regular military duties and obligations - not to recognize civilian volunteers who in some capacity work with or support the military.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

lordmonar

The MOVSM was created by Pres Bush (H.W.) as one of his 1000 points of light program.  It was aimed specifically at the military to encourage them to do community service outside of their military duties.

So it would not be approriate to award it to a CAP member for service to the USAF.   A civilian commendation or AF Commendation (or Acheivment or MSM) would more appropriate.

In CAP we could use the commander's commendation to reward a member who gave a lot of volunteer time to the USAF.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

CadetProgramGuy

Ok only cause I'm dumb....I had no idea what the MOVSM was, so I'm assuming the same for others.

a. The Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal (MOVSM) was established by Executive Order 12830, 9 January 1993. It may be awarded to members of the Armed Forces of the United States and their Reserve Components, who subsequent to 31 December 1992, perform outstanding volunteer community service of a sustained direct and consequential nature.

DNall

^that's a good way to initiate, but your company had to do some paperwork to formally put you in for it. for people that aren't' familiar with the form, it has three sections (one for each contributing accomplishment), and 3 bullets of about two-lines each to explain the contribution to that accomplishment.

It's hard to boil down something as significant as a long CAP career down into something that concise, and to work in the key phrases that mean stuff in the member's service. I'd still be curious to see how one of those looks.

PaulR

The medal is not worth any advancement points for us in the CG.   I would think that the same would hold true for all the branches.

PHall

It doesn't rate any promotion points in the Air Force either.

But it's worth a bullet in your EPR to help justify that "Firewall Five".

Pylon

I am pretty sure it counts for points in the Army for NCOs in certain paygrades.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

hatentx

I have been told both it does and doesnt.  I was told it holds the same value as a MSM (Meritorious Service Medal) but where it is placed is with the service medals such as the humanitarian service medal and overseas service medal.  I know I had to go through ACS (Army Community Service ) to verify all my hours and must print out a form (dont remember the form sorry) and it is suppose to be with the supporting documentation.  I am waiting on ACS to update my hours to over 100, sadly was there two months ago and just waiting so it would be submitted.

PORed

for the Air Force it isn't worth anything,
Air Force Awards and Enlisted Advancements

The Air Force Weighted Airman Promotion System (WAPS) grants promotion points for awards and medals. You'll receive up to a maximum of 25 promotion points for receiving the following Military Awards (medals):

Medal of Honor - 15
Air Force/Navy Distinguished Cross - 11
Defense Distinguished Service Medal - 9
Distinguished Service Medal - 9
Silver Star - 9
Legion of Merit - 7
Defense Superior Service Medal - 7
Distinguished Flying Cross - 7
Airman's/Soldier's/Navy-Marine Corps/Coast Guard/Bronze Star/Defense Meritorious Service Medals/Meritorious Service Medal - 5
Purple Heart - 5 Air/Aerial Achievement - 3
Air Force/Army/Navy/Joint Services/Coast Guard Commendation Medal - 3
Air Force Recruiting Ribbon - 2
Air Force/Navy/Coast Guard/Joint Services Achievement Medal - 1

The Coast Guard has an even shorter list of what is worth points,
Award Credit  Point 
Medal of Honor  10 
Gold Lifesaving Medal and those military awards having a higher precedence 6 
Bronze Star Medal 5 
Purple Heart 4 
Meritorious Service Medal 4
Air Medal  4 
Silver Lifesaving Medal 4 
Commendation Medal from any U.S Armed Forces 3
Achievement Medal from any U. S Armed Forces  2 
Combat Action Ribbon  1
Commandant's Letter of Commendation Ribbon 1
Secretary of Transportation Letters of Commendation 1
CG Good Conduct Medal  1
CG Reserve Good Conduct Medal 1

for a USCG member it would be better to put in for a Letter of Commendation then a MOVSM.

PaulR

I dont think that it is worth anything in the Army either...  I found this today.  Campaign Service Medals are though.  It seems a bit dated as the current conflicts are not included.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/armypromotions/l/blprompoints3.htm

U.S. Army Administrative Promotion Points for E-5/E-6
Awards, Decorations, Achievements, and Badges

Awards, Decorations, and Achievements (Permanent Awards) Multiply the number of points authorized by the number of awards received.

Awards:

* Soldier's Medal or higher award – 35
    * Bronze Star Medal (BSM) – 30
    * Purple Heart – 30
    * Defense Meritorious Service Medal – 25
    * Meritorious Service Medal (MSM) – 25
    * Air Medal – 20
    * Joint Service Commendation Medal – 20
    * Army Commendation Medal (ARCOM) – 20
    * Joint Service Achievement Medal – 15
    * Army Achievement Medal (AAM) – 15
    * Good Conduct Medal – 10
    * Army Reserve Component Achievement Medal – 10
    * Southwest Asia Medal – 3 (Points are based on a 30-day period and only points for Operations Desert Shield/ Storm and Provide Comfort (1990–1994) are authorized. Soldier must have served at least 90-consecutive days. The ERB is the source document.) – maximum points – 12

Badges:

* Combat Infantry Badge – 15
    * Combat Field Medical Badge – 15
    * Expert Infantry Badge – 10
    * Expert Field Medical Badge – 10
    * Basic US Army Recruiter Badge – 10 (each subsequent award, that is, Gold Achievement Star, Gold Recruiter Badge, Sapphire Achievement Star, will receive 5 points) – maximum points – 25
    * Ranger Tab – 10
    * Special Forces Tab – 10
    * Drill Sergeant Identification Badge – 10 (additional 5 points for company or higher level drill sergeant of the cycle) maximum points – 25
    * Parachutist Badge – 5
          o (a) Awards of higher skill badge count as subsequent awards and will receive points. For example a soldier awarded the Senior Parachutist Badge and the Parachutist Badge will be credited with two parachutist badges (10 points).
          o (b) Soldiers who have been awarded the parachutist badge, are currently serving in an approved TOE/TDA or paid parachutist position and are entitled to receive incentive pay for parachute duty will be awarded extra points, as follows: Parachutist, 20 points; Senior, 25 points; Master, 30 points.
          o (c) Soldiers who receive additional points under these provisions and whose status is terminated either voluntarily or for cause will be subject to an immediate adjustment of their promotion points.
          o (d) For soldiers who are reassigned, the following action will be taken:
                + 1. Losing commander will ensure the promotion points are reduced prior to departure (this can be accomplished during out processing).
                + 2. The officer in charge of in-processing will ensure that if the soldier is assigned to an airborne position, the promotion points are increased. This will be accomplished during in-processing.
    * Parachute Rigger Badge – 5
    * Divers Badge – 5
    * Explosive Ordnance Disposal Badge – 5
    * Pathfinder Badge – 5
    * Aircraft Crewman Badge – 5
    * Nuclear Reactor Operator Badge – 5
    * Driver or Mechanic Badge (maximum 5 points) – 5
    * Air Assault Badge – 5
    * Campaign Star (Battle Star) – 5
    * Tomb Guard Identification Badge – 5

Achievements (the board proceedings, award certificate, or DA Form 1059, Service School Academic Evaluation Report may be used as source documents):

* Soldier/NCO of the Quarter – BDE Level – 10
    * Soldier/NCO of the Quarter – Installation/Division – 15
    * Soldier/NCO of the Year – MACOM – 25
    * Distinguished Honor Graduate – 15
    * Distinguished Leadership Award – 10
    * Commandants List – 5

The Good Conduct Medal ending date (period of service) will be used to determine eligibility for promotion points (orders issued late do not result in a retroactive promotion point adjustment). The date of the order or ending period, whichever is later, will be used to determine eligibility for promotion points on all remaining awards (for example, Army Achievement Medal, Army Commendation Medal, and Meritorious Service Medal).

Promotion points are not authorized for foreign awards, decoration(s) or badges.

Awards and decorations earned in other U.S. Uniformed Services receive the same points as corresponding/ equivalent Army awards.

Certificate of Achievement awarded by commanders/deputy commanders serving in positions authorized the grade of LTC or higher or any general officer. CSMs at the brigade level may award certificates of achievement. – 5. (maximum 20 points)

Jimbo

Quote from: DNall on December 06, 2008, 04:04:27 AM
^that's a good way to initiate, but your company had to do some paperwork to formally put you in for it. for people that aren't' familiar with the form, it has three sections (one for each contributing accomplishment), and 3 bullets of about two-lines each to explain the contribution to that accomplishment.

It's hard to boil down something as significant as a long CAP career down into something that concise, and to work in the key phrases that mean stuff in the member's service. I'd still be curious to see how one of those looks.

In the Air Force, it is just a one page memorandum, much like the letter submitted, just with the Colonel's signature block (First O-6 in chain is the approving authority) that says Approve.  You bring that to the Awards/Decs place, and bam, you have it.  Army I guess has to do the form.
James Keohane, Lt Col, CAP (Maj, USAFR)
Wing Director of Cadet Programs
Chief of Curriculum/Chief Instructor, Cadet Officer School
--------------------------------------------------------
Previous Units: VA-001, VA-025, TX-023, MA-015, MA-070, MA-032
Billy Mitchell (#49097); Amelia Earhart (#12098); Gen Ira C Eaker (#1239)

DNall

That memo was from a CAP officer, not his chain of command, but yes, the Army requires a form for everything. In this case DA 638, which looks like this: www.per.hqusareur.army.mil/services/support/forms/638.dot I'm kind of interested what the bullets would read like for a CAP based justification.

Jimbo

Indeed, and how do you think I got mine?  All started from my CAP unit commander, not from my chain of command.  I said Air Force... we have no form.  Army, obviously you do, because I also nominated/wrote a letter for a Cpl, and his supervisor filled out a the form and attached the letter to it when they routed it up his chain.
James Keohane, Lt Col, CAP (Maj, USAFR)
Wing Director of Cadet Programs
Chief of Curriculum/Chief Instructor, Cadet Officer School
--------------------------------------------------------
Previous Units: VA-001, VA-025, TX-023, MA-015, MA-070, MA-032
Billy Mitchell (#49097); Amelia Earhart (#12098); Gen Ira C Eaker (#1239)

DNall

Quote from: Jimbo on December 22, 2008, 09:27:28 AM
Indeed, and how do you think I got mine?  All started from my CAP unit commander, not from my chain of command.  I said Air Force... we have no form.  Army, obviously you do, because I also nominated/wrote a letter for a Cpl, and his supervisor filled out a the form and attached the letter to it when they routed it up his chain.

Of course I get that. I'm asking for someone in the Army who has received this based on CAP service to shoot me a copy of their 368 if they still have it, cause I need to write a few up & I want to see what their bullets look like that got approved. Obviously a CAP commander writing a recommendation memo is a good way for a member to get his mil chain of command to initiate the action.

RogueLeader

Quote from: DNall on December 22, 2008, 09:57:27 AM
Quote from: Jimbo on December 22, 2008, 09:27:28 AM

Of course I get that. I'm asking for someone in the Army who has received this based on CAP service to shoot me a copy of their 368 if they still have it, cause I need to write a few up & I want to see what their bullets look like that got approved. Obviously a CAP commander writing a recommendation memo is a good way for a member to get his mil chain of command to initiate the action.

I should recieve mine in a few weeks, whe I do, I'll pass it along.  it has been approved though.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

hatentx

Hey to bring back an old topic and a return to CAP talk.  I was wondering ig anyone got a copy of an approved 368.  My SSG said finnally today he had no clue what he was doing when trying to write it.  any help would be great