To All CAP Members that are veterans

Started by Dutchboy, October 01, 2008, 10:50:24 AM

LtCol057

I agree with Stonewall.  I know I didn't get my class A's until about the 3rd or 4th week of basic. We got our khakis the second week, but couldn't wear them.  We were able to wear them IIRC the 4th week only if we went to chapel that Sunday.  I went thru basic at Ft Leonard Wood, MO in July. Didn't get to wear class A's until I was at Ft Sam Houston in Oct or Nov. 

Sleepwalker

I don't know who does what or who goes where, but I thank all of you for any service you give to our country, wherever you are or whatever you are doing.  My family sleeps safe and sound at night because there is a person on the ground in Afghanistan and there is a person back home at a desk ordering things like MREs and toothpaste for him.  All of you have my heartfelt thanks.     
A Thiarna, déan trócaire

davedove

Quote from: DNall on October 08, 2008, 07:20:14 PM
^ See, that's completely true from a civilian perspective. Less 1% of the population ever serves in the military, and they endure at very least some tough training. They do then support our overall effort & work as govt employees. They are serving their country & they do deserve to be thanked.

That said... for those of us that are in combat arms units that do go overseas & take the fight to the enemy... we see a lot of troops back home in units that take non-deployable jobs to avoid going overseas, or pull every trick in the book when their unit gets alerted to go. Those troops are not in the same category as us. The civilian populace is not expected to be able to tell the difference.

Sometimes you get some satisfaction though. I picked soldiers Sunday to go to Iraq next year. Guess which ones I let off the hook and which ones I made sure went on the list.

I can see your point.  Those who "pull strings" to avoid being deployed aren't really giving all they could.

However, if the person does what the military asks of them, even if that is sitting at a desk stateside, then they are doing their part.  Of course, I may be a bit biased, since I was a REMF. ;D  But then, I never tried to get out of any assignments either, I was just lucky enough not to be asked.

I accept the thanks of those who give it, but I recognize that some have given so much more than me.  I was one of the lucky ones.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003