To All CAP Members that are veterans

Started by Dutchboy, October 01, 2008, 10:50:24 AM

Dutchboy

THANK YOU for your service and the sacrifices you may have made. Please watch this videohttp://gratitudecampaign.org/fullmovie.php I found. I promise you will love it.

Bugsmasher

Thank you for sharing that with us.  You're right; I loved it!

Wayne Roshaven, Lt Col, CAP
Commander, Group 2, GAWG
USMC Vet
Wayne S. Roshaven, Lt Col, CAP
Commander, Group 2 GAWG

flyguy06

I used to think it was funny. People inthe airport dont know the difference between vets comming home from Iraq on leave and Basic trainees.I remember I was inthe airport and these basic trainees were inthe airport.They hadnt even been to basic yet and everyone just started cheering for them as if they had just gotten back from Iraq. They were in Class A's when troops come home they are usually in ACUs' so to all you civilians if youare ever at the airport and you see a very young looking man or lady in Class A's with a very short haircut chances are they are on their way downrange to basic. If you see a seasoned looking person with long hair, wearing dirty ACU's chances are they just got back or are about to return to Iraq.

Thanks for the video

Cecil DP

The fact that these young men and women are stationed in the states or haven't gone oversees at all is irrelevant. They are all volunteers and know that in the current climate and rotation schedules they are guaranteed to be deployed at some point of their enlistment whether on active duty or reserve. As a veteran of both Vietnam and OIF I can recall being labeled babykiller and being spaton in airports. I can also recall being on a flight thru Bangor Airport where at 5 a.m. a group of supporters met our aircraft to provide support to our troops coming an going to Iraq. Don't judge these men and women because of their age or level of training. They still deserve to be thanked for their service.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

DNall

I used to find it annoying when people thanked me - didn't know what to say. Now I say something like, "no, thank you. Your tax dollars pay for me to blow stuff up, and I really appreciate that." That usually gets a pretty good response. I still find it annoying when I'm in the middle of something. Like, I was at a recruiting event recently during a concert, on break watching the band, and everyone's trying to shake my hand. I mean come on! I do very much appreciate the support though. If someone actually spit on me, I might flat kick the crap out of them, and I'd probably get in trouble for that. So thank yous & handshakes are a lot better.

davedove

Quote from: Cecil DP on October 08, 2008, 02:39:41 AM
The fact that these young men and women are stationed in the states or haven't gone oversees at all is irrelevant. . . . . Don't judge these men and women because of their age or level of training. They still deserve to be thanked for their service.

I completely agree.  Even if these young people never leave the States and man a desk for their entire enlistment, they have done something that about 90% of the populace has not done - they have put their lives on hold to serve in the military.  Whatever job they do, they are doing their part.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

DNall

^ See, that's completely true from a civilian perspective. Less 1% of the population ever serves in the military, and they endure at very least some tough training. They do then support our overall effort & work as govt employees. They are serving their country & they do deserve to be thanked.

That said... for those of us that are in combat arms units that do go overseas & take the fight to the enemy... we see a lot of troops back home in units that take non-deployable jobs to avoid going overseas, or pull every trick in the book when their unit gets alerted to go. Those troops are not in the same category as us. The civilian populace is not expected to be able to tell the difference.

Sometimes you get some satisfaction though. I picked soldiers Sunday to go to Iraq next year. Guess which ones I let off the hook and which ones I made sure went on the list.

Trung Si Ma

Quote from: DNall on October 08, 2008, 07:20:14 PM
Sometimes you get some satisfaction though. I picked soldiers Sunday to go to Iraq next year. Guess which ones I let off the hook and which ones I made sure went on the list.

Let me guess, they were all "light on the right"?  ;D
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

Hawk200

Quote from: Trung Si Ma on October 08, 2008, 08:11:25 PM

Let me guess, they were all "light on the right"?  ;D

Haven't heard that one before. Gotta keep it in mind.

At least I won't be seeing peoples' eyes glaze over anymore after they look to that side.

blackrain

Cooling my heels waiting for a flight out.  Thanks DNall for holding feet to the fire.

We all know connected individuals that avoid deploying.

Where's General Patton when you actually find soldiers who deserve to be slapped. :clap:
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly" PVT Murphy

DNall

We've had a lot of new soldiers in since the unit got back last year. I was proud of the soldiers in that group that volunteered, and no one from that group got put on the list involuntarily. Everybody that did get forced on the list was in the unit before they left in 07 & dodged out. Lot of the same faces I see lined up outside my office for counseling, then want to complain why they aren't being promoted. I can't slap anybody, but I can sure give them an all expense paid vacation with lots of sun & sand - they're on their own for drink umbrellas.  >:D

Meanwhile, I'm gone to Rucker in either April or next month. Depends if another LT drops the ball, which he's in the process of doing. Hate to wish that on him, but Nov gets me back in time to deploy in 2011 with my own unit. April means I'll have to volunteer to go with an active duty unit.

desertengineer1

The fact that these young men and women are stationed in the states or haven't gone oversees at all is irrelevant. They are all volunteers and know that in the current climate and rotation schedules they are guaranteed to be deployed at some point of their enlistment whether on active duty or reserve. As a veteran of both Vietnam and OIF I can recall being labeled babykiller and being spaton in airports. I can also recall being on a flight thru Bangor Airport where at 5 a.m. a group of supporters met our aircraft to provide support to our troops coming an going to Iraq. Don't judge these men and women because of their age or level of training. They still deserve to be thanked for their service.

Aren't those Bangor folks great?!  We had the same experience in 2004 at 12 midnight. 

PaulR

Currently living in Maine, I heard about these generous men and women who meet the military flights to give food and well wishes to deploying/returning service men and women.  I was actually touched when I heard about them. 

I remember when I returned from over seas, there was no such greeting in Virginia!   ::)  Heck, I kinda felt that no attention was better than negative attention.   ;D

jimmydeanno

We have a group here in NH called "The Pease Greeters" who meet all incoming flights carrying returning troops that fly into Pease.  Several of our squadorn members have been participating with them.  One of our Veteran's day events this year is to greet some troops on their way home.

http://www.peasegreeters.org/

Great Organization, great cause.  Thank you all for your service!
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

PHall

Quote from: desertengineer1 on October 09, 2008, 06:34:03 PM

Aren't those Bangor folks great?!  We had the same experience in 2004 at 12 midnight. 

They're not the only great people in Bangor. The 101st Air Refueling Wing folks always have welcomed and helped the transit aircrews in any way they can. They made a long crew duty day just a little bit shorter. :clap:

Stonewall

Quote from: flyguy06 on October 07, 2008, 10:04:02 PM
I remember I was inthe airport and these basic trainees were inthe airport.They hadnt even been to basic yet and everyone just started cheering for them as if they had just gotten back from Iraq. They were in Class A's when troops come home they are usually in ACUs' so to all you civilians if youare ever at the airport and you see a very young looking man or lady in Class A's with a very short haircut chances are they are on their way downrange to basic.

You make it seem like soldiers are issued their Class A's prior to going to basic training.
Serving since 1987.

flyguy06

^ See, that's completely true from a civilian perspective. Less 1% of the population ever serves in the military, and they endure at very least some tough training. They do then support our overall effort & work as govt employees. They are serving their country & they do deserve to be thanked.

That said... for those of us that are in combat arms units that do go overseas & take the fight to the enemy... we see a lot of troops back home in units that take non-deployable jobs to avoid going overseas, or pull every trick in the book when their unit gets alerted to go. Those troops are not in the same category as us. The civilian populace is not expected to be able to tell the difference.

I agree. Combat troops experience a totally different military service than support trrops.

flyguy06

Quote from: Stonewall on November 08, 2008, 05:48:33 PM
I remember I was inthe airport and these basic trainees were inthe airport.They hadnt even been to basic yet and everyone just started cheering for them as if they had just gotten back from Iraq. They were in Class A's when troops come home they are usually in ACUs' so to all you civilians if youare ever at the airport and you see a very young looking man or lady in Class A's with a very short haircut chances are they are on their way downrange to basic.

You make it seem like soldiers are issued their Class A's prior to going to basic training.

No, Isaid they were comming home on Christmas exodus from basic or transitioning between basic and AIT

Stonewall

Quote from: flyguy06 on November 10, 2008, 01:53:39 AM
Quote from: Stonewall on November 08, 2008, 05:48:33 PM

No, Isaid they were comming home on Christmas exodus from basic or transitioning between basic and AIT

No, you didn't say that.

This is what you said...again...

Quote from: flyguy06 on October 07, 2008, 10:04:02 PMI remember I was inthe airport and these basic trainees were inthe airport.They hadnt even been to basic yet and everyone just started cheering for them as if they had just gotten back from Iraq. They were in Class A's when troops come home they are usually in ACUs' so to all you civilians if youare ever at the airport and you see a very young looking man or lady in Class A's with a very short haircut chances are they are on their way downrange to basic.
Serving since 1987.

SarDragon

Maybe you need to bold it for him, UK.  ;)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

LtCol057

I agree with Stonewall.  I know I didn't get my class A's until about the 3rd or 4th week of basic. We got our khakis the second week, but couldn't wear them.  We were able to wear them IIRC the 4th week only if we went to chapel that Sunday.  I went thru basic at Ft Leonard Wood, MO in July. Didn't get to wear class A's until I was at Ft Sam Houston in Oct or Nov. 

Sleepwalker

I don't know who does what or who goes where, but I thank all of you for any service you give to our country, wherever you are or whatever you are doing.  My family sleeps safe and sound at night because there is a person on the ground in Afghanistan and there is a person back home at a desk ordering things like MREs and toothpaste for him.  All of you have my heartfelt thanks.     
A Thiarna, déan trócaire

davedove

I can see your point.  Those who "pull strings" to avoid being deployed aren't really giving all they could.

However, if the person does what the military asks of them, even if that is sitting at a desk stateside, then they are doing their part.  Of course, I may be a bit biased, since I was a REMF. ;D  But then, I never tried to get out of any assignments either, I was just lucky enough not to be asked.

I accept the thanks of those who give it, but I recognize that some have given so much more than me.  I was one of the lucky ones.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003