Orientation Flights

Started by raticate1999, September 03, 2008, 04:59:59 PM

raticate1999

Senior members are now allowed again to participate in orientation flights if space is available. Check with your Squadron! :clap:

Message icon - MIKE

LtCol Hooligan

whatcha talkin about willis?  Where did you hear that?  Does it mean they can just ride along if weight and balance allow?
ERIK C. LUDLOW, Lt Col, CAP
Director of IT; Director of Cadet Programs
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.ndcap.us

davidsinn

Quote from: raticate1999 on September 03, 2008, 04:59:59 PM
Senior members are now allowed again to participate in orientation flights. Check with your Squadron! :clap:
I got an email from my wing today saying seniors could take glider orides at $30 per flight. Not quite what this poster is alluding to. Basically we're renting the bird and the pilot comes free.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

IceNine

Be very careful on your assertions. 

Glider flights and primary training are authorized for senior members.

Powered flights for primary training or orientation are not authorized.

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

davidsinn

Quote from: IceNine on September 03, 2008, 05:13:43 PM

Was that at me?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

davidsinn

Quote from: davidsinn on September 03, 2008, 05:09:37 PM
Quote from: raticate1999 on September 03, 2008, 04:59:59 PM
Senior members are now allowed again to participate in orientation flights. Check with your Squadron! :clap:
I got an email from my wing today saying seniors could take glider orides at $30 per flight. Not quite what this poster is alluding to. Basically we're renting the bird and the pilot comes free.

Here's the email:

Do you think the Indiana wing glider is just for cadets?  Are you a cadet who is over 18 and otherwise ineligible  to participate in o-rides?  Do you just want to experience soaring flight at minimal cost?  If you answered yes to any of the above questions then the SENIOR O-RIDE DAY IS FOR YOU.   

Flights will begin at 10am at the [REDACTED] airport.  Of course they will be member funded but the only expense will be the actual tow cost which will be about $30 per flight for a tow to 3000 feet.  Payment be check made out to Indiana Wing would be appreciated.  When you are finished with your flight(s) the tow pilot will give you're your total .  The length of the flight will be at least 20 minutes but may be longer depending on soaring conditions and how many people are waiting in line.

I will attach the letter I normally send to cadet units participating in o-rides.  Most of the information applies to anyone flying in the glider and includes a map of the airport location.

Sincerely, 

Lt Col XXX

INWG Glider Operations Officer
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

IceNine

Quote from: davidsinn on September 03, 2008, 05:53:12 PM
Quote from: IceNine on September 03, 2008, 05:13:43 PM

Was that at me?

nope the OP
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Eclipse

A lot of states offer seniors glider rides for the cost of the tow.

"That Others May Zoom"

Trung Si Ma

I also take seniors with me when I'm out flying for proficiency or getting ready to do an O-ride that I haven't done in a while.  It's not an "official" O-ride, and I'm paying for the flight, but is still gives CP seniors who are not pilots or observers an idea of what goes on during O-rides.  And most of them like to fly too.
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

FW

???

I take senior members with me on Cadet O'Flights if space is available all the time. I know seniors can take glider rides any time if they pay for the tow. They can even fly for free if the pilot is paying the freight.  Is there something I'm missing?

flyguy06

Thisis why you have to be very careful of how you word things. The original poster said Senior members were authorized O rides. Most of thought he was talking about powered O rides when in fact he was talking about glider rides. Two totally different things.

Senior members have always been able to do glider flights.

DG

Flyguy06 (Mike),

The initial post and FW are saying the same thing. 

The initial poster said, "Senior members are now allowed again to participate in orientation flights if space is available."  He was referring to powered.

FW said he always has done that, and he is referring to powered.

Of course, the senior member must ride in the back seat.