Main Menu

EF Johnson

Started by davidsinn, August 27, 2008, 10:56:49 PM

davidsinn

My unit was issued an EF Johnson VHF not too long ago but training on the use of the radio was not provided. I'm ACUT, I know the theory. I'm looking for help on the use of the radio itself. I managed to figure out how to set repeaters for the ones that are preprogrammed for my wing. How do I set a different PL tone for a neighboring wing should I ever need to?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

SarDragon

Since there are only 2 repeater input frequencies, and (IIRC) 38 CTCSS tones, the likelihood of a neighboring wing repeater being programmed into your radio is high. Just match the freq-tone pair of the neighbor with something already in your radio.

Which EFJ do you have, the mobile, or handheld? Do you have the "standard" channel plan recommended by NHQ, or did you gen up something on your own? Do you have the cable and software?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

BigMojo

Simple answer: You can't. (As far as I know) Joe Tomasone on here would be a more authoritative person to answer, but I have one of these radios assigned to me, and a stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night....

From what I know, all programming of that radio is done via a special mic/control panel that only the wing commo has. BUT, all repeaters should be programmed in. They are not necessarily named, but, if you know the freqs/tones of the other wing's repeater, look in the VHF designator document on the secure comm site, and find it. It should be in the upper zones programmed in. Also, if it's programmed like the ones here in Florida, check CAP LIST 2 (zone 2) in the radio, and try CAP PA, PB, PC, and PD, these are the generic roam designators, and one should work.

As an aside, no matter what anyone tells you, take the time and wire the radio to the car battery directly. It's designed to work this way, and has an ignition sensor you can wire in, and the radio will work for a couple minutes after cutting the ignition, and then auto shut down. It works rather nice in my truck, and was worth the couple extra minutes of install time. The radio may be big and bulky, but it can certainly reach out and touch someone...
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Emergency Services Officer
Group 6, Florida Wing

davidsinn

Quote from: SarDragon on August 28, 2008, 12:25:39 AM
Since there are only 2 repeater input frequencies, and (IIRC) 38 CTCSS tones, the likelihood of a neighboring wing repeater being programmed into your radio is high. Just match the freq-tone pair of the neighbor with something already in your radio.

Which EFJ do you have, the mobile, or handheld? Do you have the "standard" channel plan recommended by NHQ, or did you gen up something on your own? Do you have the cable and software?

Hand held. ACUT says only use the universal tone to light up a repeater long enough to ask what the unique tone is. Do we only have 2 dozen or so tones times the 2 input freqs? Is my radio set up with them all? As far as I know it's a standard plan.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

Quote from: davidsinn on August 27, 2008, 10:56:49 PM
My unit was issued an EF Johnson VHF not too long ago but training on the use of the radio was not provided. I'm ACUT, I know the theory. I'm looking for help on the use of the radio itself. I managed to figure out how to set repeaters for the ones that are preprogrammed for my wing. How do I set a different PL tone for a neighboring wing should I ever need to?

You don't.

There should be a channel guide either with the radio or available from the Wing DC, your wing's programming should encompass everything you could reasonably need, CAP related, in your state.

Quote from: BigMojo on August 28, 2008, 12:25:59 AM
As an aside, no matter what anyone tells you, take the time and wire the radio to the car battery directly. It's designed to work this way, and has an ignition sensor you can wire in, and the radio will work for a couple minutes after cutting the ignition, and then auto shut down. It works rather nice in my truck, and was worth the couple extra minutes of install time. The radio may be big and bulky, but it can certainly reach out and touch someone...

Ditto.  They don't want you to cut the harness, so don't, just extend it and wire it in.

"That Others May Zoom"

JoeTomasone

OK...

Every corporate radio is required to be programmed with V1-V4 as the first four channels.

After that, it's up to whomever programmed it.

In FLWG, the new Johnsons have V1-V4, then each repeater in the Wing (Identified by the city it is in), followed by (IIRC) each possible VHF designator (which encompasses each PL tone on both repeater pairs).  I know I have seen PA-PD.   Haven't had to go much further yet, although I will take a look when I get back in town.  i know we also have NOAA Weather Radio, marine frequencies, and other interoperability-minded stuff as well.   

And yes, you are correct, if you are trying to access a repeater for which you do not know the proper tone, try the Universal tone and ask what the VHF designator for that repeater is.   Unfortunately, unless you happen to get lucky and find a Comms type, you likely won't get someone who knows which it is.   I'd have to look up the designator for my local repeater, to be honest (but I would know what to look for and where to find it!).   

Remember, handhelds can use the Universal tone without restriction as long as they are transmitting under 6 watts and unless they are using an external antenna. 

At any rate, Davidsinn is right - get with the Comms folks in your Wing and someone should have a guide as to what has been programmed in the radio.

davidsinn

Quote from: Eclipse on August 28, 2008, 02:16:21 AM
You don't.

There should be a channel guide either with the radio or available from the Wing DC, your wing's programming should encompass everything you could reasonably need, CAP related, in your state.

My wing DC told me to got to NTC. All that gives me is the map and tones for my wing. I need to make that match the radio. That's the problem I just over came. When I tune it it only shows me the tone, not what repeater it matches.

Tags - MIKE
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Hill CAP

Quote from: davidsinn on August 28, 2008, 10:28:38 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on August 28, 2008, 02:16:21 AMYou don't.

My wing DC told me to got to NTC. All that gives me is the map and tones for my wing. I need to make that match the radio. That's the problem I just over came. When I tune it it only shows me the tone, not what repeater it matches.

Thats Odd I have a Tait and a EF Johnson both Wing Issued from FLWG the Tait is in my car and the EF is at St Pete Squadron we are all programmed the same

V1 - V4 then it starts with repeater by city like I know that from the TAMPA readout ORLANDO is 2 channels up and Daytona is 2 channels above orlando.

Of course these radio's just got reprogrammed by the FLWG DOK about 3 weeks ago so that might be why.

I know the EF Johnson Handheld if its the one I am thinking of only gives Numbers you'd need to contact wing DOK for that or your Group Comm Officer

Tags - MIKE
Justin T. Adkinson
Former C/1st Lt and SM Capt
Extended Hiatus Statues

JoeTomasone

Quote from: FLCAP on August 28, 2008, 10:47:55 AM

I know the EF Johnson Handheld if its the one I am thinking of only gives Numbers you'd need to contact wing DOK for that or your Group Comm Officer

He's in INWG, not FLWG, we don't know how they program their radios there.   That's the problem, he was referred by his Wing/DC to go to the NTC website - which doesn't have Wing-by-Wing programming data - just the information on what repeaters use which frequencies and tones.

davidsinn

Quote from: JoeTomasone on August 28, 2008, 01:06:34 PM
Quote from: FLCAP on August 28, 2008, 10:47:55 AM

He's in INWG, not FLWG, we don't know how they program their radios there.   That's the problem, he was referred by his Wing/DC to go to the NTC website - which doesn't have Wing-by-Wing programming data - just the information on what repeaters use which frequencies and tones.

Yep that's my problem. It took me a solid half hour of messing with the thing  to figure out how to pick a tone. Now that I have a repeater list in my hand and a map to go with it I need to make a cheat sheet and tape it to the radio.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

IceNine

When I recieved my radio it was a very similar situation.

I took be a couple hours but I just made an excel spreadsheet and wrote down by bank& channel what I had in the radio.

Then, went to the designator reference sheet and made the whole thing opsec.

This may be your best bet.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

davidsinn

Quote from: IceNine on August 28, 2008, 02:14:23 PM
When I recieved my radio it was a very similar situation.

I took be a couple hours but I just made an excel spreadsheet and wrote down by bank& channel what I had in the radio.

Then, went to the designator reference sheet and made the whole thing opsec.

This may be your best bet.

That's what I figured. I still need to know if I can set a new PL tone for a repeater out of my wing and how or if it's not possible to do so on the fly.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

SarDragon

Setting new channels/tones on the fly is not possible. What's in the radio is what you have.

Will your Wing DC give you a listing of what's been programmed into the radio?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

davidsinn

Quote from: SarDragon on August 28, 2008, 06:01:47 PM
Setting new channels/tones on the fly is not possible. What's in the radio is what you have.

Will your Wing DC give you a listing of what's been programmed into the radio?

He told me to access the NTC website for the repeater list. I'm heading down to wing this Saturday I'll see if I can get a full list out of him.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

IceNine

I'm going to guess he was telling you that so that you could get a list of the PL's that you have listed.

Then it is just a matter of figuring out which one's match.

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

cap235629

I'm confused.  If your concern is operating your radio out of your home wing, just use the universal tone all the time because your radio is only a 5 watt radio.   
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

IceNine

^Don't do that, its bad form, and a bad habit.  You will get used to it and start doing it with higher wattage.  Not to mention it is expressly prohibited to transmit on PC or PD for anything other than local repeater identification

Just go through and make your list, put both the location name, and the Designator (i.e V1, PC, etc) that way you will be able to go to any state, key up PC and ask what the local designator is.

It really isn't as difficult as it sounds

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

cap235629

^Methinks someone is in need of refresher training in communications.  As was said above

Quote from: JoeTomasone on August 28, 2008, 03:12:30 AM

Remember, handhelds can use the Universal tone without restriction as long as they are transmitting under 6 watts and unless they are using an external antenna. 

I am also the squadron Comm officer ;D

The radio he is referring to is a 5 watt radio and thus is allowed to operate using the universal tone at all times IF NECESSARY
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP

IceNine

Its clearly not necessary, because the tones are programmed in.

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

cap235629

a little food for thought:

I am in AR wing SWR
Our radios have the surrounding states programmed in

What if I was to deploy to Florida when Gustaf comes ashore?

Without proper programming for Florida wing's repeaters, I would be unable to use my squadron's portable outside of simplex range.  By using the universal tone I will be able to access any repeater within the short range my 5 watts of power in the portable, thus being functional on the net.  Every PL tone is not necessarily    programmed into every radio and repeaters are programmed by NAME into the menu's.  The new frequency plan will go a long way toward rectifying this as the PL tone will be shown (IIRC)  as of now it is necessary to use the universal tone as most of our comm assets are not programmed to the new plan.  This question is timely in that there is a VERY good chance that we may have another Katrina like response requiring national assets, might be helpful to know how to talk to your fellow responders.

Also for what it is worth I received an email from our Wing Director of Emergency Services advising us to be ready.........

Check your gear and be prepared 
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP