How to roll-up BDU sleeves

Started by RiseAbove, August 16, 2008, 09:57:31 PM

RiseAbove

Hello,

I have been trying for a while to figure out how to roll up my BDU's sleeves, but I can't seem to do it neatly/in a presentable manner.

Has anyone ever seen a video on how to do this?  Is there a quick, no nonsense way to do?

Any and all help would be appreciated,
Thank you
C/Tucker
Goddard Cadet Squadron
NER-MA-007

AlphaSigOU

Or for something a little simpler...  ;D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

jimmydeanno

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on August 16, 2008, 10:21:33 PM
Or for something a little simpler...  ;D

Hmmm, never seen it done like that before.

I have long (skinny) arms (I'm 6'1").  When I turn mine inside out, I bring the end of the sleeve all the way to the shoulder seam, 3 rolls up and one roll down. (As shown on page 49 of the 26Mb file above)  The sleeve then falls about 2 1/2 inches from my elbow.  The extra folds make for a tighter cuff on my scrawny arms :)
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

RiverAux

Obviously it looks better when done this way, but are we actually required to do it that way -- as opposed to rolling it like the Marines used to where the inside "whiter" fabric would show.  After all, there is no practical reason that CAP needs to be able to roll them down in an instant. 

_

Remember:

Quote from:  CAPR 39-1Long sleeve camouflage pattern (woodland green) may be rolled up; if rolled up, sleeve material must match shirt and will touch or come within 1 inch of forearms when arm is bent at a 90-degree angle;

RiverAux

Okay, just wondering.  I've always done it the "right" way, but it sure was easier back in the OD days.

RiseAbove

On my BDUs, the sleeve seam doesnt line up w/ the shoulder seam?  Is anyone else's uniform like this?
C/Tucker
Goddard Cadet Squadron
NER-MA-007

JoeTomasone

I don't actually go all the way to the shoulder seam -- more like an inch below the American Flag and at the bottom of the Wing Patch (basically the same place).    They come to my elbow when done.   

MIKE

Quote from: Bayhawk21 on August 16, 2008, 11:18:01 PM
Remember:

Quote from:  CAPR 39-1Long sleeve camouflage pattern (woodland green) may be rolled up; if rolled up, sleeve material must match shirt and will touch or come within 1 inch of forearms when arm is bent at a 90-degree angle;

I don't roll BDU sleeves anymore, but when I did I pulled 'em up like my Reservist link and they were still well within the 1" rule.  Note that the Reservist doesn't mention the 90 degrees like CAPM 39-1.

Edit: In Chuck's PDF the finished sleeve will be far too low on the arm, unlike the soldier in the first pic which is probably a bit high.
Mike Johnston

DC

Quote from: RiseAbove on August 16, 2008, 11:34:52 PM
On my BDUs, the sleeve seam doesnt line up w/ the shoulder seam?  Is anyone else's uniform like this?
You don't have to line up the seams, they won't. Just unbutton the cuff, turn the cuff inside out, then pull the sleeve up, I go up to just over the bottom of the flag patch. Then roll it however many times you have to, I do it three times, then fold the top down over the rolled area. Make sure you leave enough at the top to do the fold at the end when you are rolling.

Ask someone at your squadron to show you how to do it, thats the best way to learn.

MIKE

It just takes some practice... If I have to, I'll drive up to ORH and show ya.  ;D
Mike Johnston

jb512

These examples are the best for giving you a start, but it usually takes some practice.  Everyone does theirs a bit differently depending on the size of the shirt and your body style.  I have long arms so mine go all the way up to the shoulder seam above the patch.

The one suggestion is to fold over excess fabric.  If you'll notice, the top of the sleeve is wider than the cuff so when you're doing your fold (or second fold, I only use one) make a fold so that the distance is equal on the sleeve.  That'll keep it a little flatter and neater when you're done.