Commander’s Specialty Track

Started by captrncap, August 13, 2008, 04:06:47 PM

afgeo4

Quote from: IceNine on August 18, 2008, 03:47:57 AM
^ You are correct, telling them to do it without training is a problem.

But people that a fully capable of doing it are just hindered by a commander who doesn't have a clue asking a bunch of questions.

Keep a finger on the pulse, don't try to squeeze the heart.
All the more reason for commanders to be skilled in the 3 missions.
GEORGE LURYE

RiverAux

QuoteHaving a rating doesn't mean you're doing the dirty work. It means you're competent in the field to some level.
Actually, in most ratings there is an explicit requirement for you to perform the duties of the applicable staff officer for some time (the time varies with the position).  So yes, you have to do the dirty work to get the rating. 

QuoteA good commander should have at least tech ratings in CP and PD and the AEPSM
Highly unrealistic (and even more if you include ES which would be the logical extension of your argument) and unnecessary.  A commander does need to have a sound base of knowledge about almost everything but a tech rating in these programs isn't necessary. 

afgeo4

Quote from: RiverAux on August 18, 2008, 05:44:19 AM
QuoteHaving a rating doesn't mean you're doing the dirty work. It means you're competent in the field to some level.
Actually, in most ratings there is an explicit requirement for you to perform the duties of the applicable staff officer for some time (the time varies with the position).  So yes, you have to do the dirty work to get the rating. 

QuoteA good commander should have at least tech ratings in CP and PD and the AEPSM
Highly unrealistic (and even more if you include ES which would be the logical extension of your argument) and unnecessary.  A commander does need to have a sound base of knowledge about almost everything but a tech rating in these programs isn't necessary. 

It's not unrealistic. I, as a Capt and never having been a commander have ES ratings, a Tech (about to be Senior) rating in CP and working on a tech rating in PD. I have also passed the AEPSM and when I am selected for squadron command, I will be one of those people with ratings, but not doing dirty work (I've done it, but not doing it as a commander necessarily).

Having a rating means you've done the work (would you want a CC who's never done the work?) and that I am proficient in it to said level (tech, senior or master). It does not mean I have to be doing the work currently (although I could be). Just that I know what I'm talking about when I'm giving out orders or creating unit policy.

One cannot command if one does not know what for.

Being responsible for something (and called a CC) and being a leader are VERY VERY different things.
GEORGE LURYE

IceNine

You keep speaking of the perfect commander, not reality.

The reality is that it takes all types.  People that only have ratings in Comms, or Admin, or whatever can be just as effective as someone with master ratings in ES, CP, and AE.

Knowledge of the program does not require a tech rating.

BTW- I am master rated in PD, Senior in CP, and Tech in AE.  However I don't feel that the things I learned while completing these ratings better prepared me to take command. 

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

BuckeyeDEJ

To be fair, many people who are put in command positions learn on the job. Most CAP members aren't interested in the obligations and responsibilities of a commander. It can chew up and spit some people out.

Sometimes that new commander may only have seven months in the organization, and got his/her first lieutenant's bar by virtue of appointment as a commander.

So to say that a commander needs to have, or must have, all these specialty ratings and all this knowledge, well, that's nice, but many times it's not reality. All it really takes is a desire to serve and a willingness to learn. Everything else just comes in time.

And if they don't run screaming after the first year, well, maybe you've got a keeper.  ;D

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

FW

Command Track Levels and Corresponding requirements.

Technician Rating:   Saying "Yes, thank you for the honor".   :angel:

Senior Rating:    minimum of 6 months as tech and understanding the phrase "oh  my G-d, is it only 6 months; seems like 6 years".   :P

Master Rating:    minimum of 18 months with senior rating and understanding the phrase: "  Yes, thank you for taking command."   ;D

RiverAux

Quote from: FW on August 19, 2008, 05:47:54 PM
Master Rating:    minimum of 18 months with senior rating and understanding the phrase: "  Yes, thank you for taking command."   ;D
Have to disagree.  You should only get the Master rating after you find someone else to take over the commander slot so you can have your nervous breakdown.

FW

^ It will be amended at the next NEC meeting. >:D