Angel Flights Having a Sad Summer

Started by jimmydeanno, August 12, 2008, 11:21:51 PM

jimmydeanno

I caught onto this article about an "Angel Flight" going down in a Hannaford (North Eastern Grocery Chain) parking lot.  Unfortunately, all the passengers were killed.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/general/view.bg?articleid=1112553&format=&page=2&listingType=loc#articleFull

I looked for other variations of the story and found this one being distributed by the AP.

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20080812/D92H093O0.html

Apparantly this is the third fatal crash that "Angel Flight" has had in the last three months.  It is very sad, especially because of the type of work they do.

It did remind me of CAP though, because all the pilots are volunteers - often times using their own personal aircraft, sometimes borrowing others'.  Many of their volunteer pilots are older (one of the crashes was 81), experienced pilots.

So, as a reminder to all of our volunteer pilots - stay safe!
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Pumbaa

Ugh... I read that.. When I lived in Mass. I dated 2 girls from Easton and also worked in Easton center before moving to NY.  I used to also shop at the strip where the plane crashed. 

sad sad sad

Flying Pig

Quote from: 1st Lt Richard "Pumbaa" Fairchild on August 13, 2008, 03:08:50 AM
Ugh... I read that.. When I lived in Mass. I dated 2 girls from Easton and also worked in Easton center before moving to NY.  I used to also shop at the strip where the plane crashed. 

sad sad sad
At the same time?
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Flying Pig

The thing with Angel Flight is that from what I have seen, there is no standard other than having your PPL and Instrument rating. 

Its basically just a network of pilots and their personal aircraft getting together.  So, I guess you don't know what/who  you might get.

Pumbaa

Come to it flying pig, sort of... I was dating one of the girls while my best friend was dating the other.  Well the girls came up with this really neat idea...  ;)  We took them up on it...

A couple years later I dated the other one on and off for a few more years.

Technically I dated a 3rd, but she originally lived next door in Sharon, but moved to Easton.. So she could be added to the count :)

Now back on topic.

Angel Flight is a good idea, but they really need to come up with a standard of requirements for pilots or some sort of yearly check ride system.

heliodoc

I would imagine the PPL and Comml / Inst would suffice. 

Then I would imagine the BFR works pretty well.  I am sure some of these organizations are living on a thread and MAYBE do not have Big Daddy AF and CAP establishing Form 5's within their system sothey survive on what they can

We ought to walk a mile in their shoes.  I would venture to say they have pilot with equal to or exceeding some our pilots' experiences and hours

I do recall CAP having their sad days in aviation, too.   Form 5's and BFR's aren't always 100% indicators of being more or less better in aviation skills

Pumbaa

So here's a follow up question.. How can CAP help?

Looks like a good opportunity to lend a hand, get some positive press, save lives, etc.

Or perhaps I am seeing things through rose colored glasses.

Flying Pig

Well, the only thing though, although I think a mission like that would be awesome for CAP, the difference is that Angel Flight, the pilot pays for everything without reimbursement.

All of the Angel Flight pilots I have met are usually very well off financially, and are looking for a good reason to fly.  I dont think many CAP members are in the same boat.

FW

Quote from: Flying Pig on August 27, 2008, 10:44:41 PM
Well, the only thing though, although I think a mission like that would be awesome for CAP, the difference is that Angel Flight, the pilot pays for everything without reimbursement.

All of the Angel Flight pilots I have met are usually very well off financially, and are looking for a good reason to fly.  I don't think many CAP members are in the same boat.

Most angel flight pilots own their own aircraft however, a significant amount of volunteer pilots rent from an FBO.  What is really interesting to me is, after 25 years of accident free flying, 3 fatal crashes occur in 3 months.  I'm hoping this is just a bad "blip" and isn't the start of some negative trend.

IMO, it is possible for CAP to participate.  It would require an MOU with the network and pilots willing to pay for the time, as in any other B or C mission.