Main Menu

Hygiene Alternatives

Started by IceNine, July 12, 2008, 05:21:46 PM

IceNine

During my biannual 4 R's where I would usually pull things like toothpaste, soap, etc and and put them in the bathroom to be used.

I have found that one of my old friends in the hygiene area has been discontinued. 

They are no longer making Oral B Brush Ups, and the only alternatives I can find are disposable toothbrushes which take up too much space

So there is a 2 part question?

What other things have you found that are decent alternatives to everyday hygiene?

2- Does anyone know what replaced Brush Ups, or is there something better?
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

mikeylikey

Most pharmacies have a product called Toothette Toothbrush.  It is a green or pink sponge on a stick with either a peroxide toothpaste or mint toothpaste already on the sponge.  It is wrapped in a nice little wrapper and runs no more than .25 cents.

Did you search Amazon for your oral b product?  May be able to get it in bulk.  I still have that product at my local grocery store......
What's up monkeys?

Eclipse

Babywipes, don't leave home without them...

"That Others May Zoom"

DC

Quote from: Eclipse on July 12, 2008, 06:00:12 PM
Yes! Babywipes and a small tube of hand sanitizer are field gear musts. I also like to keep a small Shammi, it will do the same job as a towel, but at a fraction of the size. The way it 'grabs' your skin takes some getting used to though...

MIKE

Mike Johnston

N Harmon

I got this stuff for situations during CAP exercises where access to a shower is impossible.

http://www.norinse.com/outdoorproducts.htm
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

DC

Quote from: MIKE on July 12, 2008, 06:40:08 PM
Think tactical.

:o I have to wonder why exactly you would need tactical hand sanitizer...

Eclipse

Quote from: DC on July 12, 2008, 07:57:39 PM
Think tactical.

To terminate germs with extreme prejudice!

(I have one of those as my CD is also a corporate supplier to the military of those "Prell Bombs")

"That Others May Zoom"

IceNine

Quote from: Eclipse on July 12, 2008, 06:00:12 PM

Love 'em but I found Field wipes in the camping section of Wal-Mart.  They are super powered thick, big baby wipes and I think they run around a buck or so.

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

_

Eclipse

Whatever waxes your sack (so to speak).     :D

But I'll bet you a $5 100-pack of generic baby wipes that these are the same things at 3x's the price because they are "green".

"That Others May Zoom"

Tubacap

^Plus if you have a baby, they are already in stock!
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

DNall

I'm about four days off of doing 2wks in the field w/o a shower, and it sucked. Baby wipes for sure, plus gold bond & fresh t-shirts/underwear/socks makes ALL the difference. You're still going to smell terrible. And for the love of God, bring your own toilet paper (or extra baby wipes, or both).

mikeylikey

Quote from: Eclipse on July 12, 2008, 08:07:13 PM
Think tactical.

(I have one of those as my CD is also a corporate supplier to the military of those "Prell Bombs")

Here is the link to get free samples of this fine product from the manufacturer!!!!!

http://military.gojo.com/contact/promotion.asp
What's up monkeys?

IceNine

I always forget the gold bond.  I am going to go put it in my pack now.  There have been so many times I've had to borrow it.

And remember folks that gold bond is good for more than just feet.  A little on the inner thighs goes a long way in the heat

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Hawk200

Quote from: IceNine on July 31, 2008, 04:26:39 AM
And remember folks that gold bond is good for more than just feet.  A little on the inner thighs goes a long way in the heat

A little on the backside helps too. Helps avoid that swamptail.   ;D

My edit, not the board's. Trying to keep it somewhat clean!

cap235629

Quote from: mikeylikey on July 31, 2008, 04:18:13 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on July 12, 2008, 08:07:13 PM
Think tactical.

Here is the link to get free samples of this fine product from the manufacturer!!!!!

http://military.gojo.com/contact/promotion.asp

I sent away for the free sample and it arrived today with a surprise, it included a package of the purell sanitizing towels also in an acu pattern bag (the wipes are white however)

Pretty cool freebie if you ask me!
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

JoeTomasone

"Offer good to military personnel and shipments will be made to military addresses only"

:(

Eeyore

I ordered it and got one today. I'm not military nor do I have a military address. On the "Branch of Service' option I just clicked 'Other'.

Eclipse

Quote from: JoeTomasone on August 15, 2008, 03:21:44 AM
"Offer good to military personnel and shipments will be made to military addresses only"

:(

Awww...you don't have one? 

Well, I'll let you know what the "Military Hygiene Program" is when they send me mine.   ;)

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: IceNine on July 31, 2008, 04:26:39 AM
I always forget the gold bond.  I am going to go put it in my pack now.  There have been so many times I've had to borrow it.

Yes, Gold Bond is great, however, please make sure to bring it to CAP activities in its original container, unlike one young man who, for some reason we have never ascertained, poured it out of the original container and into a ZipLock bag, which, suffice to say, looked like a significant amount of Columbian nose candy.   ::)

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Why carry around that heavy plastic container? 

IceNine

Why have 8 pounds of powder in a $.03 plastic bag.  When you can store it in a $.50 plastic bottle?

I just got my Gojo Free stuff in the mail today.  It's a pretty significant amount of hand sanitizer and field towels.  For free.

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4