Setting up the Mess Dress

Started by Phillip, June 30, 2008, 04:30:08 PM

Phillip

Ok folks, I'm in need of some assistance setting up my Mess Dress Uniform.  First item of business is attaching the shoulder boards to the jacket.  The display example at Kirtland AFB MCSS used two loops per side on the shoulders to which the shoulder boards slide onto.  The jacket I purchased as the material to make these loops but I'm wondering if there is an easier way to attach them?

Second are the trousers.  I'm assuming that they are tailored the same way as those for the service uniform with regards to trouser leg length?
Captain

lordmonar

Quote from: Phillip on June 30, 2008, 04:30:08 PM
Ok folks, I'm in need of some assistance setting up my Mess Dress Uniform.  First item of business is attaching the shoulder boards to the jacket.  The display example at Kirtland AFB MCSS used two loops per side on the shoulders to which the shoulder boards slide onto.  The jacket I purchased as the material to make these loops but I'm wondering if there is an easier way to attach them?

Second are the trousers.  I'm assuming that they are tailored the same way as those for the service uniform with regards to trouser leg length?

As for the shoulder board loops...no there is no better way of attaching the.

For the Pants...you are correct they are the same as the service dress.

If you are near Kirkland...the base tailor will know how to sew on the loops and make the pants the right lenght....and it should be free with the purchase of the unifrom.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Pylon

Since your mess dress jacket doesn't already have the loops on the shoulders for the boards, it sounds like you have an enlisted jacket.  The officer jackets have those loops for the boards' straps to slip under.  Since you may have an enlisted jacket, don't forget to get the requisite dark blue CAP officer's braid affixed to the cuffs.  It's an intricate process which involves unstitching of the sleeve lining and not recommended as a do-it-yourself job unless you're good with your hands and familiar with sewing.  A typical tailor will charge $25 for this job, and can ensure your sleeves are altered to the correct length at the same time.  (Sleeves on a jacket rarely fit a man properly "off the rack")

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Phillip

Quote from: Pylon on June 30, 2008, 04:56:28 PM
Since your mess dress jacket doesn't already have the loops on the shoulders for the boards, it sounds like you have an enlisted jacket.
While the loops weren't attached at the time of purchase, the material to make them was included.  So officer jackets come with them already attached?

Quote from: Pylon on June 30, 2008, 04:56:28 PM
don't forget to get the requisite dark blue CAP officer's braid affixed to the cuffs.
I haven't.  That and all the other CAP distinctive items are ready to go. 8)

Quote from: lordmonar on June 30, 2008, 04:50:37 PM
If you are near Kirkland...the base tailor will know how to sew on the loops and make the pants the right lenght....and it should be free with the purchase of the unifrom.
Using the base tailor would have been the best option, but I didn't have time the day I bought the uniform and I don't make it into Albuquerque very often.  The next time I'll be there will be when I have to wear the Mess Dress.  Besides, my local tailor does a good job, as long as I specify exactly what I need.

Thanks for the help gentlemen. ;D
Captain

Cecil DP

I'm sure you have an excellent tailor, but uniforms are a whole different matter. Make the effort to get a military tailor who specializes in uniforms. Nothing worse than spending an arm and a leg on a uniform, only to have something wrong and unable to wear or worse wearing it and finding out later that it was wrong.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

jimmydeanno

True Story.

My old squadron commander took his service coat to a tailor to have the braid sewn on.  He gave the guy written directions with specific drawings, etc on how to put the braid on.

The tailor lost the directions so he called the local recruiter to find our where it goes.  The recruiter thought the tailor was talking about a shoulder cord. 

My squadron commander goes to pick up his service coat only to find the sleeve braids stiched along the shoulder/arm seam. Ooops.  :D
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

D2SK

Quote from: Phillip on June 30, 2008, 07:55:37 PM
While the loops weren't attached at the time of purchase, the material to make them was included.  So officer jackets come with them already attached?

The material you are referring to is the braid for the sleeve, not for making loops on the shoulder.
Lighten up, Francis.

jb512

Quote from: D2SK on June 30, 2008, 08:47:12 PM
Quote from: Phillip on June 30, 2008, 07:55:37 PM

The material you are referring to is the braid for the sleeve, not for making loops on the shoulder.

Don't throw confusion into it if you don't know what's going on.  The OP said in his OP that he had the loops for the shoulder, not the sleeve.  He's ok now.

MSgt Van

I've got it made; no braid, no epaulets...
;D

Trung Si Ma

Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

SAR-EMT1

C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

SJFedor

Quote from: MSgt Van on July 01, 2008, 01:52:43 AM
I've got it made; no braid, no epaulets...
;D

But those big ole chevrons to get on, and they gotta be JUST right.  :P

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

MSgt Van

You should have seen the look on the tailor's face when explained the pants length - slight crease in front; 7/8" longer in back.  She replied "about an inch longer then" and I replied, "no, 7/8".

Great fun...

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

I'm needing to have the shoulder boards loops attached to my Mess Dress tunic.  Does anyone have a picture of the loops, attached to the mess dress tunic, that I can use as a guide for the civilian tailor.

Thank you so much,

Noel

lordmonar

Quote from: RCAC on August 31, 2009, 07:59:20 PM
I'm needing to have the shoulder boards loops attached to my Mess Dress tunic.  Does anyone have a picture of the loops, attached to the mess dress tunic, that I can use as a guide for the civilian tailor.

Thank you so much,

Noel

It should not matter all tha much so long as the boards are centered properly and the loops don't show.  Heck they is no need for the loops to even be blue!  ;D
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

Hi Patrick!

Are the loops attached into the shoulder seam or fastened on either side.

I'm a fifteen years ex-Canadian Air Force officer, so how they are exactly attached is important to me.

Thank you very much,

Noel

MSgt Van

This is the only guidance I've found on the mess dress shoulder boards. It's the same in the AF officer's guide as well as the AF instruction:

"(3) Rank insignia. Place shoulder boards (mess dress shoulder boards--not the same as you wear on the blue service uniform) as close as possible to the shoulder seam"

Not much help, I know...

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

Could I trouble a member to take a picture of theirs as purchased new or fastened by a AFB tailor.

Thank you,

Noel

Gunner C

I'll see if I can take a picture that will help.

Airrace

If you are near a military base then take it to a on base military tailor. They have done this many times and I am sure will do a great job for you.

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

Thanks Airrace,

Travis is a litte far and my weekends are all full with flying a Cessna 182RG I just purchased :P  Now if I could only fly to Travis, and take a base taxi to MCSS  ;)

Noel

Cecil DP

The military tailor doesn't have to be an "Air Force" tailor, any military tailor should be able to do this for you. Is there another military base near you? Having a tailor not familiar with what has to be done is like going to a dermetologist for an appendectomy! Is he qualified yes, Do you want him doing it? Only as a last resort.
Quote from: RCAC on September 01, 2009, 01:55:11 PM
Thanks Airrace,

Travis is a litte far and my weekends are all full with flying a Cessna 182RG I just purchased :P  Now if I could only fly to Travis, and take a base taxi to MCSS  ;)

Noel
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Gunner C

Noel

I just took some pictures of the mess dress shoulder loops.  I placed a tape measure through the loops so you could see how far from the shoulder seam they are.  Also, I placed the tape measure (on the second photo) next to the loop and drew white lines so you could see how long and wide they are.  I was surprised that the loops aren't parallel to each other.  I'm not sure if this is necessary (some sort of taylorific imperative), but I had mine done by an AFEES taylor.  It seems to work.

I hope this helps.

GC

[attachment deleted by admin]

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

Awesome!  You're so helpful for an ARCHER guy :P

Gunner C

Quote from: RCAC on September 03, 2009, 12:00:08 AM
Awesome!  You're so helpful for an ARCHER guy :P
Think of me as a computer geek with two highly skilled, federally licensed chauffeurs who don't mind a back seat driver.  ;D

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

Wow licensed chauffeurs, in Cali we're Bus Drivers :)

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

Thanks again GC... I got my Mess Dress all set up with my Butter Bar shoulder boards, wings, and my two medals ;)

Two medals, shesh, it took me 12 years to get my first (and only) medal in the Canadian Air Force - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Forces_Decoration.

Since I can't wear it officially.. I'll wear it behind my left lapel :)

I know... [darn] Canuck!

Gunner C

Yeah, I know what you mean.  For the first three years in the army all I had was a bolo badge (marksmanship) and jump wings.  That was in the days before the Mexican general look.  ;D