Help an Army guy out

Started by hatentx, June 11, 2008, 03:40:57 AM

hatentx

I am in the processes of joining just need to get my fingerprints.  I am wondering me being army what I am able to wear CAP uniform.  I know I am able to wear my crew wings and my ribbons and such.  I am going to assume that I am not able to wear my Regimental Affiliation.  What about my Combat Patch?  Or other such things.  I am aware the must but in the ultra marine blue for the BDUs but any help from those with those in the same boat or knowledgeable. 

Hawk200

You'll get a copy of the CAPM 39-1, the Uniform Manual. Being military, it will be fairly easy for you to read.

Couple things that may not be in there: Ribbons are not spaced on CAP uniforms. Combat patch is a no go. You may  wear your wings on both blues and BDU's. For BDU's it may be subdued or the white on blue that CAP uses.

Read the manual thoroughly when you get it. It will pretty much answer most of your questions. Anything that you don't find in there, most people here can answer.

Welcome to our little organization. Most units will treat you like family. Enjoy it, and may your times be good ones.

Pylon

Welcome to CAP and thanks for bringing your experience to the table!  :)

As for the uniform stuff - yes, federal and foreign ribbons are pretty much good to go.  State awards (if you were in the National Guard) are not allowed on the CAP uniform.  Many Army badges are permitted for wear on the CAP uniform (CIB/EIB, jump wings, aviation wings, etc.) - a full list of what badges are authorized can be found in the uniform manual, CAPM 39-1.  I highly recommend taking a look through this.  Many of the tables in the back will show you order of precedence for your combined Army and CAP ribbons, what badges are authorized and how many, placement, etc.

Things that are not allowed for wear include unit and combat patches (SSI), berets, DUI's, and tabs.

Feel free to bring up any specific items you might have questions about.  There is a wealth of experience and plenty of current and former Army guys around the board.  As I mentioned before, welcome to CAP, and welcome to CAPTalk!  :)

Edited to add: Oops - Hawk beat me to it on a few of the items!
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Stonewall

Come in with an open mind and do not get offended because you can't wear something "you earned".  I've seen guys join CAP and put up such a fuss because they "earned their army combat patch".  That's great.  We all respect it and understand your feelings.  But it's no different than when I left the army and later joined the air guard.  Just because I earned it in the army doesn't mean I can blow off air force regs and wear it.

No one is dissing your service or saying your awards and decorations aren't important.  Just understand that CAP, like other branches of the military, has it's own set of rules and you can't blow'em off because you may not like them.  I'm only saying this stuff because I've seen it happen time and time again.  Saw a dude wearing a 10th Mountain combat patch; another guy wearing a ranger tab, or one dude that said "I earned my black beret in the army, I'm wearing it in CAP"

Stonewall  <<<-------FAG (Former Army Guy)
Serving since 1987.

Duke Dillio

Welcome fellow Army guy.

Kirt pretty much laid out all of the stuff I was gonna say.  Just a quick note though, be careful around the cadets.  I know that you are probably Hooah and stuff but most of the seniors don't believe in most of that stuff.  Make sure you go through CPPT with a fine tooth comb and you will be just fine.  Have a great time.

JohnKachenmeister

Welcome.  Glad to have another Dogface here!

Don't forget, you cannot wear your shooting awards from the Army on the Air Force uniform.  Blatant discrimination, I know.  The Air Force and the Navy issue ribbons for marksmanship, which are allowed.  The Army and Marine Corps award little medals, and they are not allowed.

Also, no service stripes and overseas bars.  On my Army uniform, I am entitled to wear 2 overseas bars.  I don't know why.  I was in a lot more than 2 bars when I was overseas.  ;D
Another former CAP officer

hatentx

Well this is all good info to know.  Yeah it is a bummer no expert marksman badge and Combat Patch.  Let me guess I cant wear my spurs and Stetson either right????  What a bunch of party poopers.  lol.  So her is a question then about CAP transferring over to the Army.  I know this isnt exactly uniform stuff but here going to ask.  So the course and classes and such I will have to take will that count towards my military education credit and sorts.  I know that any of the CAP awards will not transfer over.

Trung Si Ma

The Army accepted SOS and ACSC into my 201 file after I got the official transcripts from ECI.  It took some explaining about why it said O-4 when I was a SSG, but they were on my DD214 as completed military schools when I retired.

Put your patches on your helmet bag (subdued for the combat ones ;D).

If you ain't Cav ...
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

Stonewall

Yeah, I got promotion points when I was in the Army for ECI-13, CAP Scanner and Observer.  Didn't think about it until Trung Si Ma said it, but yeah, since you get points for education/correspondence courses, you'll get them for doing courses from any branch.  I did Marine Corps Institute courses as well as Air Force and Army.
Serving since 1987.

hatentx

okay so I am assuming then that the course will count as my military education as for my promotion points?  Im sure my S-1 (as great and high speed they are) will have a little issues figuring it out if it is possible.  Yeah Im sure I can make sure I let it be know in subtle ways that I am Cav and the rest of ya'll are...... well yeah

Stonewall

11B <--- here

Think Trung Si Ma was 18-something.
Serving since 1987.

cap235629

I was an MP when we were still called 95b!
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

Duke Dillio

13F here and I know why you are hatin TX....

Trung Si Ma

Quote from: Stonewall on June 12, 2008, 02:12:09 AM
11B <--- here

Think Trung Si Ma was 18-something.

Waaaaaay back in the dark ages, it was an SQI.  Before being forced over to 13F, I was an 11B3S.  Also known to the old guys as a full flash kind of guy.
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

JohnKachenmeister

31A - Law Enforcement Officer - Primary

46A - Public Affairs Officer - Secondary

Basic branch was Military Police.

Enlisted:  HM8404 Field Medical Service Technician (Navy)

95B - Military Policeman
Another former CAP officer

mikeylikey

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on June 12, 2008, 12:02:22 PM
31A - Law Enforcement Officer - Primary

46A - Public Affairs Officer - Secondary

Branch detail?  Or jut a secondary assignment?

Me...13A
What's up monkeys?

bosshawk

I'll join the chorus of old Army guys(really old) welcoming you to CAP.  The previous advice is all good and correct, so I'll only add one thing.  If you have unit awards, PUC,MUC, etc, they get mixed in with your other ribbons, since the AF does it that way.

A lot of other guys are mentioning their SSI: I had several and don't remember the designators.  24 yrs as a Combat Intelligence and Strategic Intelligence Officer, six years as Tranportation Officer: yep, Branch transfer did it.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Ned

Quote from: bosshawk on June 12, 2008, 05:44:04 PM. . .   24 yrs as a Combat Intelligence and Strategic Intelligence Officer, six years as Tranportation Officer: yep, Branch transfer did it.

Could have been worse; I went from 31A to 11B!

"Pardon me sergeant, I'm your new battalion XO -- what are those big metal  things that look kinda like tanks?"

Sigh.  Good times.

bosshawk

But, Ned, you aren't telling the whole story.  You didn't stay an 11B the rest of your career.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

hatentx

Sweet ya'll are some great information. So what things can I take from CAP and apply to my Army Career?  When I deploy again will my membership be inactive? I guess I am just trying to get a good handle on what I have just got myself into.  I am joined because I was looking for a way to give back to the community and work with the cadets.  And hey Women love a man in uniform I guess if I add one more uniform to my closet it would hurt my chances either right?