Better Image Screening at National Headquarters... is it Possible?

Started by Eagle400, June 07, 2008, 03:12:56 AM

Eagle400

Some of you may have seen the image of a CAP lieutenant with a Schützenschnur on his Service Dress Uniform within a CAP news article on the national website, which was posted this week.

I keep a folder on my computer of a large number of images found on the CAP website of numerous members who have abused the uniform through ignorance, pretentiousness, and other undesirable character traits.

So I wonder... do the PA folks at National have the ability to finally get it together and start doing a quality job of screening images to be posted on the website, most notably the ones published in articles? 

If not, is there any way they can get that ability and actually keep it?

PHall

Why do you have this intense fascination with an organization that you have said more then a few times you will never ever be a member of again.

Eagle400

Quote from: PHall on June 07, 2008, 03:23:17 AM
Why do you have this intense fascination with an organization that you have said more then a few times you will never ever be a member of again.

Hmmm... I sense an absence of earnestness in the performance of conducting research.

If I have ever said I would never re-join CAP (which is possible), then it was an insincere statement made in the heat of the moment, sir.

I have stated a number of times that I will return to service in CAP, but not anytime soon.

Of course, had you done extensive and earnest research, you would know that.

Now, back to the topic... 

shorning

Quote from: CCSE on June 07, 2008, 03:12:56 AM
I keep a folder on my computer of a large number of images found on the CAP website of numerous members who have abused the uniform through ignorance, pretentiousness, and other undesirable character traits.

So what is your claim about the member wearing the Schützenschnur?  I know of at least one active duty US Air Force member that was authorized to wear it.

Eagle400

Quote from: shorning on June 07, 2008, 03:39:06 AM
So what is your claim about the member wearing the Schützenschnur?  I know of at least one active duty US Air Force member that was authorized to wear it.

It's not authorized.  How did I get there?  Please consider the following...

1 - He's an officer.  According to U.S. Army regulations, the Schützenschnur is authorized for enlisted personnel only.

2 - CAP is not the Air Force.  It isin't even officially considered a part of the Total Force Structure.

3 - CAP has not been authorized by the Air Staff to allow personnel to wear the Schützenschnur.

Now, if the Air Staff gave the "OK" to CAP for wear of the Schützenschnur, I would have never brought this issue up.

I hope this helps, sir.

lordmonar

Quote from: CCSE on June 07, 2008, 03:12:56 AM

I know of several.

And once again.....CCSE....once you join your opinion may matter.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eagle400

Quote from: lordmonar on June 07, 2008, 03:49:20 AM
I know of several.

Awesome!  Are they all enlisted?

Quote from: lordmonar on June 07, 2008, 03:49:20 AMAnd once again.....CCSE....once you join your opinion may matter.

Then consider my opinion frozen in time, sir.

Once I return to service in CAP, the opinion will thaw and thus become eligible for substantiality.
Until then, patience is the order of the day.

mikeylikey

Quote from: CCSE on June 07, 2008, 03:48:42 AM
1 - He's an officer.  According to U.S. Army regulations, the Schützenschnur is authorized for enlisted personnel only.

Actually that is the German rule.  It is not worn by US Officers, you are correct there, but it can be warded to Officers who particpate in the comp.  I received it in OBC, it is in my file, but I am not allowed to wear it.  No big deal to me.  Also I can be awarded marksmanship badges just like Enlisted folks, but Officers normally don't wear them.  I have several, earned as a Cadet.  

I have noticed many pictures come from NHQ that show improperly dressed members, but I think just getting the stories and releases out is more improtant than going over pics with magnifying glass.  
What's up monkeys?

shorning

Quote from: CCSE on June 07, 2008, 03:48:42 AM

It's not authorized.  How did I get there?  Please consider the following...

2 - CAP is not the Air Force.  It isin't even officially considered a part of the Total Force Structure.

3 - CAP has not been authorized by the Air Staff to allow personnel to wear the Schützenschnur.

Now, if the Air Staff gave the "OK" to CAP for wear of the Schützenschnur, I would have never brought this issue up.

I hope this helps, sir.

Hmmm...jumping to conclusions that are not fact, merely speculation.  You're trying to find problems where none exists.   Your arguments are all thrust and no vector.

Eagle400

Quote from: shorning on June 07, 2008, 04:15:00 AMHmmm...jumping to conclusions that are not fact, merely speculation.

Fine. 

Please provide the evidence that substantiates your assertion, sir.

shorning

Quote from: CCSE on June 07, 2008, 04:22:07 AM
Quote from: shorning on June 07, 2008, 04:15:00 AMHmmm...jumping to conclusions that are not fact, merely speculation.

Fine. 

Please provide the evidence that substantiates your assertion, sir.

I'm not doing your research for you.  Burden of proof is on your shoulders if you're going to make the claims.  Your previous arguments use faulty logic to get to the conclusion you want.    You're looking at things too concrete.  Try a little critical thinking...

afgeo4

CCSE... first off... You don't know who's authorized what for wear. Just because the regs don't authorize something doesn't mean that the leadership can't authorize something for a specific member or a specific activity/event. And guess what... they don't have to tell the public or membership at large about it either. Just that member's chain of command.

Second... google the military term "MUSTANG". It may explain how some officers may end up wearing things awarded only to enlisted.

Third... why do you care? I don't agree that your opinion doesn't matter. This is public forum. I'm just trying to figure out why you'd care. The images portray a positive image of CAP members through their work. That's important to CAP and its members. It is a public website and the general member of the public won't notice such imperfections and if it does, won't care.

Many soldiers wear unauthorized items on their uniforms in combat. That doesn't take anything away from them as soldiers and it wouldn't be in good taste to comment on it.

If you'd like to criticize those members for wearing the uniform improperly, first join and wear the uniform properly. Otherwise, you haven't earned the right to criticize.

Having said that, we welcome constructive comments from you and all else on this forum.
GEORGE LURYE

Eagle400

Quote from: shorning on June 07, 2008, 04:25:35 AM
I'm not doing your research for you.  Burden of proof is on your shoulders if you're going to make the claims.  Your previous arguments use faulty logic to get to the conclusion you want.

Fair enough.

Quote from: shorning on June 07, 2008, 04:25:35 AMYou're looking at things too concrete.  Try a little critical thinking...

That is the only educated thing you said in your response.

Something about, scholarly analysis?

JC004

I wish I had time to keep tabs on the dress and appearance of members of an organization I'm not in...

Eagle400

Out of respect for *shorning and everyone else, I present my logic and dare to prove beyond the shadow of a doubt that this logic is not faulty:

Here is what CAPM 39-1 says with regard to foreign decorations:

This paragraph does not say badges; it says decorations.  In neither CAPM 39-1 or CAPM 39-3 is the word "decoration" defined.

However, CAPM 39-3, does show the Unit Citation Award Medal, the Silver Medal of Valor, and every medal in between as being under the category of "Decorations", suggesting that such awards do qualify as Decorations, but badges (for example, the Schützenschnur) do not.

So my advice to anyone who has earned the Schützenschnur and wishes to wear it as a member of CAP is to contact National Headquarters and verify whether or not it is authorized for wear.

Personally, I have nothing against CAP members who have earned this badge and choose to wear it so long as it is authorized for wear by Air Force personnel.  However, even if the Air Staff have approved of its wear by CAP members, National Headquarters has the final say.

And since I have never seen anything in either CAP regulations or the CAP Knowledgebase specifically stating it is authorized for wear, I will err on the side of caution and continue to be highly suspect of its legitimacy as an approved accoutrement on the CAP uniform. 

However, I do apologize for jumping the gun and stating that the Air Staff have not authorized CAP personnel to wear the badge.  The only reason I said this is because National Headquarters has never specifically stated that the Schützenschnur is authorized for wear by CAP members.  This led me to believe that it is not an authorized foreign accoutrement.

National Headquarters really should make a list of foreign decorations, badges, etc. authorized for wear on the Air Force uniform and make it an addendum to CAPM 39-1 in order to clear up the confusion on which foreign accoutrements are authorized for wear, and which ones are not.

Now how's that for critical thinking skills?

*I only address members by username.  That is my policy for everyone on this site.  If someone wants me to address them by their name and rank, they are more than welcome to modify their username to reflect such information.

Eagle400

Quote from: afgeo4 on June 07, 2008, 05:53:58 AMMany soldiers wear unauthorized items on their uniforms in combat. That doesn't take anything away from them as soldiers and it wouldn't be in good taste to comment on it.

Quite frankly, they have earned the right to do so; CAP members have not.

Sorry Pennsylvania Wing, but going on a SAR mission as a "CAP Ranger" does not count as combat.

Ditto with helping manage the Oshkosh Airshow as a Blue Beret.

Quote from: afgeo4 on June 07, 2008, 05:53:58 AMIf you'd like to criticize those members for wearing the uniform improperly, first join and wear the uniform properly. Otherwise, you haven't earned the right to criticize.

Pardon me for saying so, but I have worn the uniform for 8 years (9 if you count my year in ROTC) within my short life of 22 years.  I believe I have earned the right to provide both praise and criticism to those who wear the uniform, respectively.   

Quote from: afgeo4 on June 07, 2008, 05:53:58 AMHaving said that, we welcome constructive comments from you and all else on this forum.

Thank you for reassuring me that not all people on this site are biased against me, sir.

lordmonar

I've got 22 years wear the uniform of our nation.....25 if you count AFJROTC, AFROTC and CAP time.

So if we are going to use "uniform time" as a basis for establishing credibilty and earning the right to praise and criticize....I win.

As for people (me specificaly) being biased against you...you are right we are....you bring up non issues just to throw mud into the eye of an organisation you claim to like.

You got issues.....you've been kicked off Cadet Stuff, stopped posting on military.com and when you where there you talked trash about CAPTALK.

Now you are back....and nothing has changed.

Put your money where your mouth is....join CAP and then make a difference.  Otherwise....just take it else where.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

shorning

Quote from: CCSE on June 07, 2008, 07:42:04 AM
Now how's that for critical thinking skills?

You're still jumping to unfounded conclusions based on your own opinions and interpretations.  You're finding the problems that your looking for.  Try the reverse approach.  See if you can find a way that it would be authorized.  You just keep looking for the "problem".

My unsolicited advice though...press on with your life.  There are enough problems in the world without you making them up.  Seriously, this fixation of yours isn't good for you.  I know it's an emotional/ego thing for you, but you have either chosen not to be a member or told that your not welcome.  At some point, you just have to let go.

You're too fixated on this for your own good.  You should pick up a hobby or something in stead of trolling around the internet.  Otherwise, you're just here to ruffle people's feathers.

Oh and BTW...I think you can cut out the feigned politeness.  We know you're not sincere and it's not helping your case.  I know you're trying to prove that you can play well with others, but It just comes across as insincere.

PHall

Big Mike

The senior who is wearing the foreign award earned it as a Army NCO. Per Reg. 39-1 he read that he was able to wear it. Now that he is a officer in CAP, his Group Commander decided  that he should not wear it.