Main Menu

Wing Patch Image

Started by smitjud, June 03, 2008, 07:48:10 PM

smitjud

While I'm begging for help, here is one more thing I would love some help with if there are any high-speed computer/photoshop types in here.

http://www.yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=464402

If you visit the link above, you will find the only digitized version of our wing crest known to anyone in the wing from the wing commander down.  It is horrible quality, low resolution,  and isn't much good to me when I want to make something (such as a certificate as in the last post) and would like to put it in front of a background.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to fix it, or by chance does anyone have any spare time on their hands in which they could play with it a bit?

Thanks!
JUSTIN D. SMITH, Maj, CAP
ALWG

"You do not lead by hitting people over the head - that's assault, not leadership."

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

davidsinn

No promises but I'll see if I can whip something up later this week. Try Tedda he's the best I've seen on here. I just have Photoshop and too much spare time on occasion. Tedda is a real pro.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

smitjud

Is he still around here somewhere?

I've seen his stuff, he's definitely great at that stuff.  Last I checked, his website was down, which was kind of a bummer.

Thanks for your help with that!
ALWG

"You do not lead by hitting people over the head - that's assault, not leadership."

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

Eclipse

95% of this is simple, but the wings are going to be an issue.

Why didn't you just attach the file here?  Its like 8k...

"That Others May Zoom"

smitjud

I would much rather attach it here, but didn't see an option to do so.  If you can tell me how, I'll get it attached ASAP.  Thats certainly a lot easier.
ALWG

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

Eclipse

Just click "additional options" in the message screen and use the attachment browser.

"That Others May Zoom"

smitjud

Thanks.  Might have a issue with my web browser.  When I maximize additional options, it only gives me the choice to be notified of replies, return to a topic, and to not use smileys.

I'll keep looking.  It's probably right under my nose.
ALWG

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: smitjud on June 03, 2008, 08:31:11 PM
Is he still around here somewhere?

I've seen his stuff, he's definitely great at that stuff.  Last I checked, his website was down, which was kind of a bummer.

Thanks for your help with that!

Tedda isn't a member of CAP anymore.

davidsinn

What happened to him? Burn out?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

smitjud

Really?  Thats a shame.  Did he go CG Auxie on us?
ALWG

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

LtCol Hooligan

Take a look an Ace's patch collectors page.  He has some nice ones out there:  http://www.incountry.us/cappatches/AL/index.html
ERIK C. LUDLOW, Lt Col, CAP
Director of IT; Director of Cadet Programs
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.ndcap.us

smitjud

I've seen that before.  In fact, I've actually traded with him before.  I think I sent him that old Lee County patch in fact.  I need to give him a holler and do some more swapping.

I've got scans of our patch though like he has, what I'm soliciting help for is a digitzed version for certificates, presentations, documents, etc.
ALWG

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

CapnSuper

If you want an EXCELLENT version made from this jpg, I STRONGLY recommend this vendor:

https://www.24hourartwork.com/

I have used them several times and they are simply AMAZING.  High quality, quick turnaround, and you can have a vector graphic (which means you can resize it forever and retain high quality) for $15

Yes it is not free but if you want this bad enough, here is where you can get it.  Maybe you can split the cost with the wing if need be.

smitjud

Thanks for the heads up.  $15 isn't too bad.  I might very well do that.
ALWG

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: davidsinn on June 05, 2008, 01:33:15 PM
What happened to him? Burn out?
Quote from: smitjud on June 05, 2008, 01:34:17 PM
Really?  Thats a shame.  Did he go CG Auxie on us?

He went to that Army Cadet Corps/ACA thing.

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: CapnSuper on June 05, 2008, 05:23:20 PM
If you want an EXCELLENT version made from this jpg, I STRONGLY recommend this vendor:

https://www.24hourartwork.com/

I have used them several times and they are simply AMAZING.  High quality, quick turnaround, and you can have a vector graphic (which means you can resize it forever and retain high quality) for $15

Yes it is not free but if you want this bad enough, here is where you can get it.  Maybe you can split the cost with the wing if need be.

It says on the website that Adobe Illustrator and CorelDraw are the only two programs compatable with the file they give you.  After seeing the prices of these two programs, I've gotta ask:

Does anyone know of any cheap alternative programs compatable with these files?  I'm simply looking for something that would be able to resize and print the vector image. 

I'm going to talk to my squadron commander about doing this for our squadron patch.

Shotgun

Quote from: PhoenixCadet on June 06, 2008, 03:44:09 AM

It says on the website that Adobe Illustrator and CorelDraw are the only two programs compatable with the file they give you.  After seeing the prices of these two programs, I've gotta ask:

Does anyone know of any cheap alternative programs compatable with these files?  I'm simply looking for something that would be able to resize and print the vector image. 

I'm going to talk to my squadron commander about doing this for our squadron patch.

I had a freelancer create a digital version of our squadron patch. The final version was an Illustrator file which is a pretty standard  format for vector art. You'll definitely want your "master" file to be some type of vector graphic format

In my case I downloaded the trial version of Illustrator from Adobe and then exported the patch to various other formats  (PSD, JPG, GIF, and EPS) depending on the type of graphic format needed and its use. (I've since then obtained licensed copies)

There is an open source graphics program called GIMP which is basically a free version of Photoshop that will more than meet your needs once you get it exported from illustrator.

So, download the trial of Illustrator, export it to a .psd file to retain the layers and editable elements, and then use GIMP for resizing, creating JPG or GIF files, etc.

Update: I see that adobe has temporarily put its trial program on hold.
If you use the freelancer, feel free to send me the file and I'll do the necessary conversions for you.

PhoenixRisen

Great info!  I've been using GIMP for other things already.

Thanks!

davidsinn

Here's a little something I whipped up in about 90 minutes using AutoCAD. I'll have my fiancĂ© convert it to a more portable vector format but for now here is a  large raster image. You will want to save from the link and not the one below. The link is 1600 x 1280.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

smitjud

Thanks!  That looks great!
ALWG

-Dwight D. Eisenhower