The best website for creating Ribbon Racks is here!

Started by C JMeyer, May 29, 2008, 08:50:06 PM

C JMeyer

MIKE

This site is pretty good 'cause it does military awards too: http://www.medals.lava.pl/us/uschk.htm
Mike Johnston

DC

Known about it for a while...

The one MIKE listed is really nice because of the badges.

Eclipse

I've always thought McChords was the best, hands-down.

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

Serving since 1987.

MIKE

Quote from: Eclipse on May 30, 2008, 12:42:44 AM
I've always thought McChords was the best, hands-down.

It does a lot of the work for you in terms of attachments... Which is very nice.

Quote from: Stonewall on May 30, 2008, 12:45:59 AM
Quote from: C JMeyer on May 29, 2008, 08:50:06 PM

You have a SAR ribbon already, as an Airman?  What did you get it for?

At least 10 hazardous sorties on actual search and rescue missions to get mine.  Probably some mission base support time in there on top of that as well.  ;D  Those and the 2 non-distress Finds, all WIWAC.
Mike Johnston

SSgt Rudin

Quote from: DC on May 29, 2008, 11:20:24 PM
Known about it for a while...

The one MIKE listed is really nice because of the badges.

Except it thinks that the Navy pistol ribbon is lower than the encampment ribbon  ::)
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

SSgt Rudin

I'm more interested in the fact that he has been to encampment and is still an airman, even if he went to a winter encampment that is still 6 months ago...
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

DNall

The badges are a cool option. That's new to me. I like the ultra thin builder though personally. 7 full lines though? I just ain't wearing that much crap. I'd look like an idiot! I got enough trouble with that before I put on a uniform.

Pylon

Quote from: 2d Lt Rudin on May 30, 2008, 02:57:46 AM
I'm more interested in the fact that he has been to encampment and is still an airman, even if he went to a winter encampment that is still 6 months ago...

RIWG Spring Encampment was over just a month or two ago.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

DNall

and he's from wisconson. That's a big... well maybe, but prob not.

captrncap

Why do you care? Are you his Squadron CC? He/She is responsible for him not you?

His ribbons are not the issues in this discussion.

Eclipse

Quote from: captrncap on May 30, 2008, 02:59:57 PM

Why do you care? Are you his Squadron CC? He/She is responsible for him not you?

His ribbons are not the issues in this discussion.

Sorry - you post something publicly, especially your rack in a ribbon rack discussion and its open for comment.

And I'll second the motion that considering the SAR ribbon is awarded for 10 actuals, I'd be curious how a C/Amn got one as well.

If its legit, then it shows a high-speed cadet who is fully engaged in the program - good on 'ye.

If its not, well, then it should come off.

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

You should use this link.  http://www.mcchord.org/rack_builder/

tell me what you think?

I prefer this one: http://www.medals.lava.pl/us/uschk.htm

Their CAP badges are a little odd, but it allows military ribbons and badges. (Even Guard awards, even though we aren't permitted them, it's just nice to be able to add everything you have.)

Hawk200

Quote from: Eclipse on May 30, 2008, 03:11:45 PM
And I'll second the motion that considering the SAR ribbon is awarded for 10 actuals, I'd be curious how a C/Amn got one as well.

If its legit, then it shows a high-speed cadet who is fully engaged in the program - good on 'ye.

Ten to one, someone told him he could wear it after he went to a SAREX. Many members don't worry about the validity of what they're told, they put it on because they like the bling.

Eclipse

Quote from: Hawk200 on May 31, 2008, 05:05:27 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on May 30, 2008, 03:11:45 PM

Ten to one, someone told him he could wear it after he went to a SAREX. Many members don't worry about the validity of what they're told, they put it on because they like the bling.

That'd be my guess, cadets especially like different bling - something that makes the rack stand out.

As an encampment CC I get to have contact with cadets from all over the area and I see this stuff all the time, no one likes to take an award away from anyone, especially a cadet, but the rules is the rules, and that lesson, alone, is one of the benefits of the program long-term.

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Quote from: Eclipse on May 31, 2008, 05:18:33 PM
As an encampment CC I get to have contact with cadets from all over the area and I see this stuff all the time, no one likes to take an award away from anyone, especially a cadet, but the rules is the rules, and that lesson, alone, is one of the benefits of the program long-term.

I don't envy your job there. One thing I have noticed is that most of the awards that our members wear can't be documented. If things were done properly, the unit Personnel officer would look up the requirements for the dec or badge, and if the person is eligible, write up a 2A.

I did that for every member of our unit. Told them to bring documentation in, and if it applied, I'd write up a 2A for it. If the badge or dec wasn't one of the "pre listed" ones, I'd put it in the "Other(Specify)" block. There may be decs that didn't even require a 2A, but no one will ever be able to tell anyone in our unit that they don't have proof for what the're wearing.

Anyway, getting back to the topic at hand, I've seen a half dozen different rack builders. The one I put above has just about anything you'd ever want, and probably loads of ribbons that most people have never even heard of.

Eclipse

There's documentation for everything, somewhere - some are self-actualizing (i.e. cadet ribbons and grade go mostly hand-in-hand), but when you start talking about ribbons like Comm Comms, UC's, SAR & DR, there had to be a PA somewhere, or you didn't receive it properly.

I know people will cite past CC's handing out ribbons at major events, etc., like they were candy, which may seem like a nice gesture at the time, but just causes career-long issues because of lack of proper paperwork.

"That Others May Zoom"

cnitas

It would be nice if we could get personell files online and then we could look all this stuff easily at activities, not to mention making it easier to get awards and decs approved up the chain more rapidly.  Online CAPF 120s and 2a's similar to the Ops quals system would be great. 

Have a question about a ribbon or badge, look it up in their online file.

Maybe someday...
Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

mikeylikey

Quote from: cnitas on May 31, 2008, 11:02:52 PM
It would be nice if we could get personell files on line and then we could look all this stuff easily at activities, not to mention making it easier to get awards and decs approved up the chain more rapidly.  On line CAPF 120s and 2a's similar to the Ops quals system would be great. 

Have a question about a ribbon or badge, look it up in their on line file.

Maybe someday...

Give it about 6 months.  NHQ is currently working on developing on line personnel files.  Forms will be E-signable, and will go through E-Services to the approval authority automatically. 

It will be a huge step in the write direction.  The only downside is members will take the "its on line I don't need to keep my own copy" mindset. 
What's up monkeys?

♠SARKID♠

I've got to agree with MIKE and go with the one that has badges.  Ideally though, I'd like a rack builder that displays the ribbons as a single jpeg or gif, not a bunch of pictures for each individual ribbon.  It would make the whole "screen-shot/crop" deal a lot easier.

arajca

How hard is it to crop a screen shot? Collect screen shot, open program (I use Paint Shop Pro), paste, select area, crop to selection. Save image. Done. If I want white background, use the fill tool to make it white, then save it.One - two mintues, tops.

Hawk200

Quote from: mikeylikey on May 31, 2008, 11:08:03 PM
The only downside is members will take the "its on line I don't need to keep my own copy" mindset. 

I tell them that if it's online, then it's actually that much easier for them to print them out for their own personal copies.

MIKE

Mike Johnston