Sew On Grade on BDUs

Started by DC, May 19, 2008, 04:45:09 AM

Eclipse

You're much better off using iron-on sizing to place the insignia and then sewing down, the material of grade insignia is not the same "self-healing" cloth like a service blouse, the hole will be permanent and you might unravel the embroidery.

"That Others May Zoom"

DC

Yeah, that would work too.

Either way...

JoeTomasone

Quote from: NCO forever on May 19, 2008, 03:30:22 PM
I personally won't mind when I become a cadet officer and just have to but the insignia on once for each promotion instead of taking it of and putting it back on every time I wash it.

One wouldn't assume that someone with the name "NCO forever" would be terribly concerned here.   ;D

Hawk200

Quote from: MIKE on May 20, 2008, 01:42:02 AM
Concerned the thicker insignia pins might damage the cloth insignia, but YMMV.

If you get crazy and just punch it through, it will. I learned that the hard way.

What worked for me was wetting the center of the cloth insignia just a little. The fibers seem to slide out of the way. Once you wash it, the holes are usually gone. If not, then knead the fabric a little. It cleans up fine.

Hawk200

Quote from: Eclipse on May 20, 2008, 02:15:40 AM
You're much better off using iron-on sizing to place the insignia and then sewing down, the material of grade insignia is not the same "self-healing" cloth like a service blouse, the hole will be permanent and you might unravel the embroidery.

Although I've pinned stuff down before, the best method is Witch Stich. Only use enough to hold it in place, that way when you change it, the stuff left usually peels off with a little heat from an iron.

DC

How about just using the adhesive alone to stick it on?

Duke Dillio

Quote from: DC on May 20, 2008, 07:20:57 PM

I had a cadet do that once.  It looked really tacky.  Kindof like when people use that easy shine stuff on their boots and it crumbles away after a while....

Eclipse

Quote from: sargrunt on May 20, 2008, 07:28:58 PM

I had a cadet do that once.  It looked really tacky.  Kindof like when people use that easy shine stuff on their boots and it crumbles away after a while....

Yes, looks like ((***)) - the insignia won't sit flat properly, especially is you use the adhesive in the tube.

"That Others May Zoom"

DC

Quote from: Eclipse on May 20, 2008, 07:44:22 PM

Yes, looks like ((***)) - the insignia won't sit flat properly, especially is you use the adhesive in the tube.
I was referring to the iron-on stuff. Its like a paper tape you lay underneath whatever you want to adhere, then you place a hot iron over it, the tape melts and forms an adhesive.

Hawk200

Quote from: DC on May 20, 2008, 08:35:45 PM
I was referring to the iron-on stuff. Its like a paper tape you lay underneath whatever you want to adhere, then you place a hot iron over it, the tape melts and forms an adhesive.

That's pretty much Witch Stitch. Using it alone to affix insignia isn't really practical. Unless you use the heavy stuff, it will come off in the wash. And for some reason, it just doesn't lay down flat enough to look right.

Best bet is to use the lightest weight stuff you can find, iron the insignia into place and sew. The lightweight stuff isn't going to be impossible to remove later either.

Eclipse

Quote from: DC on May 20, 2008, 08:35:45 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on May 20, 2008, 07:44:22 PM

Understood - that's what I use to alighn the grade properly and hold it for sewing, but it still won't sit properly and the edge will not be finished. 

And unfortunately I ave see way too many members recently affixing insignia, especially on the collars with the visual equivalent of crazy glue.

"That Others May Zoom"

jpnelson82

I never had a problem with sewing on insignia. I only had one set of BDUs until I became a senior member, now I've got 2. I know how to sew and I always did the stitching myself. my complaint is the new Vanguard insignia doesn't tend to iron as well as the old CAP bookstore stuff. You iron them too high and they practically melt. If you use to low a setting they don't stay flat that long. It doesn't really damage the BDU if you are careful removing them.
Captain Nelson, John P.
SWR-AZ-064 (senior)
SER-GA-116 (cadet)

Mitchell Award 43981
Earhart Award 10643
IACE 2000