Requirements for Wing Commander

Started by flyguy06, November 29, 2005, 03:06:13 PM

flyguy06

Does anyone know what are, if ther eare any requirements to be Wing Commander or Region Commander? I assume because these are corporate officer positions ther ehave to be critiria.

Mac

Here is the minimum requirements right out of CAPR 35-9

Quote from: CAPR 35-94. Minimum qualifications for consideration as wing commander are:
a. Hold at least the CAP grade of major.
b. Completed Level IV of the Senior Member Training Program.
c. Three years command and staff experience at any level within a wing.
d. Budget and asset acquisition knowledge gained within or outside CAP.
e. Five years supervisory experience gained within or outside CAP.
f. Five years total CAP membership with no less than three continuous years of service prior to appointment.
g. Prior to appointment as wing commander, individual must complete a successful fingerprint rescreening.
Derk MacPherson, Lt Col, CAP
Vice Commander
Alaska Wing, PCR-AK-001

dwb

The paragraph before the one Nukem posted state that these are suggested guidelines.  Does this mean those minimum qualifications are also just suggested, and not required?

I ask because I know of at least two past Wing CCs that didn't even have their Red Service Ribbon at the time of appointment, much less the laundry list of qualifications dictated in CAPR 35-9.

Mac

Quote from: justin_bailey on November 29, 2005, 04:35:02 PM
The paragraph before the one Nukem posted state that these are suggested guidelines.  Does this mean those minimum qualifications are also just suggested, and not required?

I ask because I know of at least two past Wing CCs that didn't even have their Red Service Ribbon at the time of appointment, much less the laundry list of qualifications dictated in CAPR 35-9.
Dan is correct the section in 35-9 that covers Wing commanders does state the following:
QuoteSECTION B – WING COMMANDER SELECTION PROCESS
3. These suggested guidelines are designed to assist region commanders in carrying out this responsibility in a timely, judicious manner and to standardize the selection process. The final decision concerning selection still rests with the region commander concerned. A suggested timeline is shown in figure 1.
4. Minimum qualifications for consideration as wing commander are...

So I guess the region commander has the final decision on who they pick.
Derk MacPherson, Lt Col, CAP
Vice Commander
Alaska Wing, PCR-AK-001

dwb

Yeah, well, I can't be expected to read an entire paragraph!   :-[

Thanks for the clarification.

afgeo4

Oh yeah, just our luck that this is the one reg and paragraph that the Region CC's actually read.

By the way (and off topic), anyone know what Col. Greenhut's doing nowadays?
GEORGE LURYE

Earhart1971

Quote from: justin_bailey on November 29, 2005, 04:35:02 PM

LOL, Now if you are RICH, and have a Military Bearing, you too can be Wing Commander.

It really helps if you don't need to worry about a career or money, and lets face it, total dedication to the program and it can be done in a few years.

Anybody remember General Dupont?

BillB

You may be forgetting that BGen DuPont was a former cadet, and he met all of the regulation requirements for Wing Commander.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Earhart1971

Quote from: BillB on February 18, 2006, 10:06:57 PM
You may be forgetting that BGen DuPont was a former cadet, and he met all of the regulation requirements for Wing Commander.

My point is, it can be done, in few years, and being rich  helps, because its almost a full time job with no pay.

Pace

With all the perported corruption within CAP's leadership and the incompetence that I have personally witnessed, I believe we should go back to the leadership scheme pre-1975, where the National Commander (CAP/CC) is a USAF Brig Gen billet.  Full time, paid position from the USAF pool.  Less of this GOB crap we have now...

*waits for 2b to come in the mail*
Lt Col, CAP

MIKE

Quote from: dcpacemaker on February 19, 2006, 05:34:30 PM
*waits for 2b to come in the mail*

Actually... I think they can just e-mail it to you now.  ;D

More oversight from the USAF would be a good thing... I don't think the current setup with CAP-USAF is enough.  Maybe have something like the ATC where the unit CCs and other key staff are VR(T) officers also.
Mike Johnston

BillB

I must be missing something.  What is the problem with the BOG?  From what I've observed at National Board (Read that the annual convention) and Region Commanders Calls, the problems are with the corporate side. The BOG appears to me to just have oversight. I agree that CAP must have more USAF control if CAP is to be the USAF Auxiliary.
I was a member back under the time period of CAP-USAF being commanded by a General grade officer. But the problem here is USAF has downsized at least three times since that period. There are not that many reservists or active duty in non-critical areas to fully man a USAF-CAP at national, regional and much less Wing levels as there were in the 60's-80's.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Pace

Quote from: BillB on February 19, 2006, 09:57:39 PM
I must be missing something.  What is the problem with the BOG?  From what I've observed at National Board (Read that the annual convention) and Region Commanders Calls, the problems are with the corporate side. The BOG appears to me to just have oversight. I agree that CAP must have more USAF control if CAP is to be the USAF Auxiliary.
Sorry about the TLAs (three letter acronyms).  I meant the Good Old Boy (GOB) leadership scheme that seems to be prevalent in CAP at the highest levels.

I realize that USAF has downsized (and currently taking some major paycuts), but CAP really would benefit 1000% from the shots being called by a non-biased (or at the very least not good buddies with 75-100% of the NEC/NB) USAF type.  Even if it's only the CAP/CC and not the region/wing commanders, it would still be worth it.  I know the Air Force can spare 1 Brig Gen.
Lt Col, CAP

BillB

Sitting in the coffee shop at a recent (meaning past two years) National activity, I overheard two members of the BOG (Board of Governors) mention that CAP needed a general grade officer as Commander of CAP-USAF.  So there is a chance that this may happen. But knowing how CAP and USAF operate, I would not hold my breath.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Pylon

Quote from: BillB on February 19, 2006, 11:26:15 PM
Sitting in the coffee shop at a recent (meaning past two years) National activity, I overheard two members of the BOG (Board of Governors) mention that CAP needed a general grade officer as Commander of CAP-USAF.  So there is a chance that this may happen. But knowing how CAP and USAF operate, I would not hold my breath.

The Commander of CAP-USAF did used to be a Brigadier-General slot, right up until that whole CAP NHQ/CC getting that second disputed star fiascoe.  The USAF reduced the CAP-USAF/CC slot to Colonel, and royally ticked off the guy who was filling that slot who was hoping to get his star before he retired.

I don't see why it couldn't revert to being an O-7 slot, but what would the huge benefit to this be?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Earhart1971

Quote from: BillB on February 19, 2006, 11:26:15 PM

We don't need a Air Force General as Commander for CAP, having been in both the Air Force and CAP, you learn the politics of the two.

A Brig General (AF) is likely to be someone retiring, the least dynamic person available or wanted for this job, in other words a dynamic General on the way up, is not going to want to punch his ticket at Maxwell CAP/USAF - Makes sense?

Maxwell AFB, Commander of CAP/USAF is a career  move in the Air Force, for somebody that is on his last tour of duty, that wants to retire in the area of Montgomery, Al.

What CAP really needs is a National Commander, that has a dynamic background as a motivator and also a SALESMAN and someone who commands respect in the Corporate World.

Someone like, Donald Trump comes to mind, by the way Donald Trump went to a  a Military Academy, he was the Cadet Commander at his Military School.

This could be another Reality Show for the Donald, the CAP turnaround, LOL!

CAP realistically needs about $200 Million a year in Budget and the $20 Million or so from the Air Force to run National HQ.  Now if we have $200 Million a Year, the Air Force can keep the $20 Million, and it won't affect us.

Total fund raising goal 900 Million, then you can take 2 to 3% income average per year from a conservative managed CAP Fund without touching principal. 

Then CAP makes investments, like the Boy Scouts, in Land, and makes money several ways, land speculation, money management and such.

If Donald Trump were the CAP NATIONAL Commander, I would vote him 4 stars, which would actually be realistic, since he could take us to MAJOR COMMAND status, CAP with half a million members!

Pylon

Quote from: Earhart1971 on February 20, 2006, 10:16:48 PM
Total fund raising goal 900 Million, then you can take 2 to 3% income average per year from your conservate managed CAP Fund without touching principal.

Then CAP makes investments, like the Boy Scouts, in Land, and makes money several ways, land speculation, money management and such.

This is exactly how private colleges and other institutions that intend to be around for some time manage their funding.  The company/college/foundation builds up a respectable savings of money and then hires or contracts out investment professionals to manage the money.  For example, my alma mater was a small liberal arts college with an enrollment under 3,000 -- but they had at least a $12 Million investment portfolio.

CAP can do it, but I think you're right -- it's going to take a very ambitious, successful, and perhaps influential individual to take CAP to that level.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

dwb

Quote from: Earhart1971 on February 20, 2006, 10:16:48 PMIf Donald Trump were the CAP NATIONAL Commander, I would vote him 4 stars, which would actually be realistic, since he could take us to MAJOR COMMAND status, CAP with half a million members!

I see what you're saying, but I wouldn't use Donald Trump.  He does most of his development on other people's money.  I'd want a developer who has a track record of making money rather than losing it.  ;D

dwb

Quote from: Pylon on February 21, 2006, 01:37:24 PM...but they had at least a $12 Million investment portfolio.

So did CAP, before they spent it on the NASCAR sponsorship...