Specialty Track Administration Application Upgrade

Started by Capt_Redfox30, April 28, 2008, 02:17:00 AM

Capt_Redfox30

Has anybody else seen this?

Specialty Track Administration, located on the restricted side of eServices, has been upgraded. The latest version of the application now includes the checking of track requirements, stated in each Specialty Track pamphlet, and has fixed several issues which occurred in the prior version.

This is basically the same idea as the old one, even though the format has changed a bit.  I am trying to figure out the Checking of track requirements.  Is this basically saying, "Have all training requirements contained in the Specialty Track pamphlets been completed? Yes/No", the way I am reading it is that it lists all tasks that must be completed and you can put in the dates completed.  Or am I reading that wrong?
Kirk Thirtyacre, Lt Col, CAP
(Acting) Group Commander
Group 3 HQ

jb512

Yeah, something's a little off.  I don't have the checkmark boxes on mine, other than the standard yes or no, but the dates on mine are not correct anymore.

And no specialty tracks show up for me on the member search report now.

DeputyDog

Quote from: jaybird512 on April 28, 2008, 02:51:44 AM
And no specialty tracks show up for me on the member search report now.

They are now not showing for anyone in my unit in the Member Search Reports.

jb512

It also says that you have to have Level II for any senior rating and Level III for any master rating.  I knew that was a requirement in some, like Cadet Programs, but didn't know it was that way for all of them.  Others just say that you have to serve in the position for one, and two years.

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: jaybird512 on April 28, 2008, 04:10:23 AM
It also says that you have to have Level II for any senior rating and Level III for any master rating.  I knew that was a requirement in some, like Cadet Programs, but didn't know it was that way for all of them.  Others just say that you have to serve in the position for one, and two years.

Level Completion for Senior and master ratings?  ooooo I like that....Makes stagnant members get off their butts or get out of the system.

Earn your ratings......

jb512

Says it right there in the overview:

Please Note:
Only members with an membership type of Senior Member and have also completed Level 1 will be available for selection in this application.
The following lists the prerequisites for advancing to a Specialty Track next rating/skill level:
Level 1 must be completed before a member can request a rating of NONE or TECHNICIAN
Level 2 must be completed before a member can request a SENIOR rating
Level 3 must be completed before a member can request a MASTER rating
Along with the ratings prerequisites listed above, each Specialty Track has its own requirements that must be fullfilled in order for a Specialty Track to be approved.
The message, You have no members available for selection, will occur from the following reasons:
You are not of Senior membership type
You have not completed the Cadet Protection Program Training Course
Your membership status has been "Flagged"
Only members currently holding the Chaplain duty position may apply for the Chaplain Specialty Track.
The Specialty Track submission process is not completed until the appropriate commander of the member receiving the track approves the submiitted Specialty Track for that member.

------------

Sounds like a good idea to me too...

GOBO

Jimbo

What would be nice is a report that displays what specialty track your squadron does not cover at all, and maybe along with a report that shows you what squadron duties/positions you do not have anyone filled to or assigned... it takes a high speed admin / personnel / PD officer to keep something like this organized for larger squadrons, where I think it would be a simple fix and beneficial for Sq leadership to quickly run a report and develop future training / development plans...
James Keohane, Lt Col, CAP (Maj, USAFR)
Wing Director of Cadet Programs
Chief of Curriculum/Chief Instructor, Cadet Officer School
--------------------------------------------------------
Previous Units: VA-001, VA-025, TX-023, MA-015, MA-070, MA-032
Billy Mitchell (#49097); Amelia Earhart (#12098); Gen Ira C Eaker (#1239)

Tim Medeiros

The duty position report you speak of should be in the Duty Assignment restricted application, lately I've seen a list of non-filled duty positions at the bottom of the report available there.

As for what specialty tracks are not covered, you can get that, sort of.  Go to Member Reports, select the Members in Specialty Track report and select all specialty tracks.  The specialty tracks no listed on that report (one per page) do not have anyone in them at the unit you selected.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

disamuel

I know this thread has been unused for a year, but I can't find the location in eServices to track the items that I have completed for the tech rating in communications. Under "Restricted" in eServices all I see is Ops Quals approvals and validations.

Thanks in advance for your help-

IceNine

Doesn't exist.

It is simply a check-box when entering a rating for a member.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

IceNine

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

disamuel

IceNine that is exactly what I am looking for but where do I go in eServices to enter the info?

IceNine

IF you are the Admin, PDO, or Commander (maybe others)

You would see "Specialty Track Administration" on the right side.

It is a restricted application that requires appropriate duty assignment, or WSA privileges.

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Camas

Quote from: IceNine on August 12, 2009, 04:04:08 AM
IF you are the Admin, PDO, or Commander (maybe others)
You would see "Specialty Track Administration" on the right side.
It is a restricted application that requires appropriate duty assignment, or WSA privileges.
Yup - also personnel officers have this application. "Specialty Track Administration" restricted application cannot be assigned by a WSA; it's strictly granted by duty assignment. In other words a WSA cannot grant this permission to anyone else such as a logistics or AE officer.

IceNine

Wierd  ???

Doesn't seem natural but it's true. WSA cannot assign that privilege

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Assigning some permissions solely by duty assignment makes good sense. Add the duty get the permissions, remove it and they are gone. This allows personnel officers to handle the duty roster without involving a WSA. (Which I understand in some wings are only handled at the wing level by policy).

The solution to the issue raised is simple. If a logistics officer is going to be assisting in PD then assign them as the Assistant PDO. Presto, they have access ;D

Thom

Quote from: phirons on August 12, 2009, 03:49:50 PM
Assigning some permissions solely by duty assignment makes good sense. Add the duty get the permissions, remove it and they are gone. This allows personnel officers to handle the duty roster without involving a WSA. (Which I understand in some wings are only handled at the wing level by policy).

The solution to the issue raised is simple. If a logistics officer is going to be assisting in PD then assign them as the Assistant PDO. Presto, they have access ;D

As far as I know, there is no practical limit to how many Assistants you have for each position.  In fact, in the ideal Squadron (hah!) you would have almost EVERY Senior Member down as Assistant for EVERY Duty Position except the one where they are the Primary, and they would be capable of filling in for the Primary duty person if needed.  The ultimate in cross-training.  (I said in the IDEAL Squadron!)

Just make sure that you are really getting Assistant performance from that person you added, not just using a shortcut to get them access to a Restricted App!

Thom Hamilton

Spike

Quote from: Thom on August 12, 2009, 07:08:42 PM
In fact, in the ideal Squadron (hah!) you would have almost EVERY Senior Member down as Assistant for EVERY Duty Position except the one where they are the Primary, and they would be capable of filling in for the Primary duty person if needed.  The ultimate in cross-training.  (I said in the IDEAL Squadron!)

Wow....beat me to it! 

I did that for my Squadron, makes life easy.  I did have Senior Meetings each month were the primary in a duty position gave a presentation on what they do, how to fill in for them (should they be gone) and the associated Specialty Track requirements should others decide to complete that track. 

I actually have a staff that can be given tasks and anyone of them can step up to the plate and complete it.  Perfect for getting things done in a timely manner, and makes everyone feel useful.  It is a shame that some Squadrons "stick" a member in a position that has no meaning for that particular unit.  That member usually just sits around or slows things down because they have nothing better to do than be a "chatty-Cathy".   

disamuel

Ok, but as a member with only standard eService access (I'm obviously not a commander, only a comms officer) is there a way to input the completion of the tasks that I need to accomplish? For example to get the tech rating I need to attend a Wing Communications meeting. I attended the meeting and have a copy of the sign-in sheet, but where do I enter this into eServices? I have seen previous posters refer to where a comander can approve my entry, but I m still unclear where I enter the tasks. I'm sorry to be a pain, but if someone could either point me in the right direction, or tell me it can't be done I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance-

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Some of the Specialty Track requirements are tracked in e-services, but most are not. The Specialty Track application in e-services is a selection for track, level, a check box for are the requirements completed and a date. Generally the PD or Personnel Officer enters these and the commander approves

Camas

Quote from: disamuel on August 13, 2009, 03:05:59 AM
Where do I enter this into eServices?
You don't. Your professional development officer does that. He or she inputs the necessary information and the commander can then approve or reject it. If you have no PDO in your unit then a personnel of admin officer can do the same thing.

disamuel

Ok, I got it. Thank you all for your help, I appreciate it.