Wing review board legal???

Started by capchiro, October 10, 2005, 06:34:02 PM

capchiro

Just received a message from our Wing director of cadet programs with a purposed change to the wing cadet program.  He is suggesting that all cadets up for Mitchell, Earhart, Eaker, and Spaatz, be required to go before a Wing review board and even go so far as to present the Wing Review Board with their essays and speeches.  Looking at CAPR 52-16, I don't believe that the Wing Commander has anything to say about these awards until the Spaatz level.  I don't think that this is legal....What say ye????   
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

MIKE

Some points to ponder.

Quote from: CAPR 52-16This regulation provides guidance and procedures for those who conduct the Civil Air Patrol (CAP) Cadet Program.  Supplements are not authorized, except as specifically noted, or when approved by NHQ CAP/CP.

Quote from: CAPR 52-162-4. a. A new cadet grade is earned when the cadet completes each achievement (except achievement 8, 9, 11, 12, 13,
15, or 16, which confer no promotion in grade) and the squadron commander (or deputy commander for cadets) signs
the CAPF 52-1 (or 52-2, 52-3, 52-4 as appropriate). When the squadron commander or the deputy commander for
cadets signs a cadet's CAPF 52, they are attesting to the cadet's ability to assume the next grade. By promoting a cadet,
the squadron commander is recognizing that the individual is capable of accepting increased responsibility.

Establishes the squadron CC or CDC as the promoting authority.

Quote from: CAPR 52-162-4. e. Commanders should retain a cadet in grade if the cadet's performance or maturity does not demonstrate an ability to accept increased responsibility commensurate with the promotion. In such instances, commanders will provide the cadet with appropriate counseling to include a synopsis of the skills and behaviors that the cadet must improve upon. A date for a subsequent review will be made. Use of the CAPF 50 Cadet Progression Evaluation is required.

This is the paragraph most often used to justify review boards at the local level... The rationale for a higher headquarters review boards is often a perceived failure of squadron leadership to properly execute paragraph a. and e. above.  Note that paragraph e. is worded Commanders and is not as specific as paragraph a.

Quote from: CAPR 52-162-10. a. Before being administered the Spaatz Award exams, the cadet must receive approval from the unit and wing commander.

Establishes the wing commander as an approving authority for the Spaatz exam.

Mike Johnston

whatevah

Quote from: capchiro on October 10, 2005, 06:34:02 PM
Just received a message from our Wing director of cadet programs with a purposed change to the wing cadet program.  He is suggesting that all cadets up for Mitchell, Earhart, Eaker, and Spaatz, be required to go before a Wing review board and even go so far as to present the Wing Review Board with their essays and speeches.  Looking at CAPR 52-16, I don't believe that the Wing Commander has anything to say about these awards until the Spaatz level.  I don't think that this is legal....What say ye????   
As shown by 1st Lt Johnston, that just won't fly.  The only way for them to do it, is to submit it up the chain to NHQ and hope that they'll add it into the CAPR 52-16.  Which, would GREATLY hinder the Cadet Program in all but the smallest wings, due to the distances involved between units and the wing HQ.

As it stands now, the only time a cadet needs to talk to Wing is when he/she wishes to take the Spaatz Exam.  But, I believe the intent of that, is to ensure that the cadet is really ready to take the exam, and won't tarnish the reputation of the wing in some way.

As with all things regulations, this needs to be worked up the chain of the command, before they (wing) tries to implement it.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

BillB

I can almost guarantee, the the SER Commander will not approve the Georgia DCPs proposal. It violates the provisions of 52-16, and Wings are not authorized to modify it. There are two main reasons that the proposal won't work in the real world. First is travel time to the Review Board location. In many Wings that could be hundreds of miles. Second it brings to a halt normal progression through the cadet program is a cadet has to wait for the next review board to be held. Another point, what would happen if forty or more cadets had to appear before a Wing review board each time it met. Mass confusion would result trying to get that number through a board in a day. Just as an aside, this idea came up in the 1970's and was shot down by the National CAC plus National Hq.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

MIKE

Quote from: whatevah on October 11, 2005, 02:46:25 AM
As shown by Lt Col Johnston, that just won't fly.

Dude... Thanks for the promotion!  :)
Mike Johnston

whatevah

Quote from: MIKE on October 11, 2005, 03:01:12 PM
Quote from: whatevah on October 11, 2005, 02:46:25 AM
As shown by Lt Col Johnston, that just won't fly.

Dude... Thanks for the promotion!  :)
LOL I knew that didn't sound right...  but I saw Lt Col in your sig when I was doing the quicky check for who wrote that post.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

airforcecolors

It is illegal, but I can understand why he would do it. There are some Mitchell cadets and Earhart cadets that make me wonder if the only requirements should be PT, Moral Leadership, encampment, and the exam.
There are three kinds of people in this world...people that get things, people that watch others get things done, and people that wonder what just happened...WHICH ONE ARE YOU?

Pylon

Quote from: airforcecolors on October 29, 2005, 09:39:40 PM
It is illegal, but I can understand why he would do it. There are some Mitchell cadets and Earhart cadets that make me wonder if the only requirements should be PT, Moral Leadership, encampment, and the exam.

Those aren't the only requirements.  For every promotion, achievements and milestone awards, the Squadron commander or deputy must give their approval for the cadet to be promoted.  The commander is ultimately responsible for ensuring that the cadet being promoted is mature and developed enough to serve at that level. 

The squadron commander shouldn't necessarily just sign everyone off for a promotion if they've checked all the boxes.   Most anybody can look up the requirements for a promotion and with minimal effort, work at checking off all the requirements -- it doesn't mean, however, that they're ready to serve at the level expected of someone holding the next higher grade.

Policies like this, though perhaps against the regulations, stem from the fact that too many commanders do not utilize their command authority in not promoting cadets that just don't deserve it.  Wishing to correct this situation is a good thing, but policies that set out additional requirements such as this are just adding more boxes to check.

A Commander's discretion, properly used, is the best screening method in my opinion.  Unfortunately, too many commanders just don't utilize it. A number of factors contribute to this: fear of demotivating cadets, fear of cadets quiting the program, commanders not comfortable with telling someone they can't be promoted, overcoming unit tradition of just signing promotions off, commanders not aware they can hold cadets back who aren't ready, etc.

As far as I'm concerned, this is something that ought to be dealt with seriously and in-depth in UCC (Unit Commander's Course), and Commanders ought to be required to attend this school at the earliest possible date from taking command, if not before hand. 

In addition, letters from higher echelons urging squadron commanders to utilize their discretion and outlining ideals for promoting cadets is on the right track.  Publishing policy letters just adding another checkbox or two to get out of the way before pinning on the new grade doesn't help at all.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

NIN

This kind of thing rears its ugly head every couple of years when someone wants to "improve the quality of our cadet program."

Nevermind the logistics in a big wing.

I had a group CP once put out a policy to the effect that cadets up for milestones would have to come to group for a review board before their 59-x would be signed off.  I signed and sent off two Mitchells right after that policy came out, and when they were awarded, the CP pulled me aside and started to ream me about his policy.  I said "Show me on that form where there is ANY place for a signature other than that of the cadet and that of the commander."  Then I schooled him on 50-16.  And the importance of having the group commander sign off on a "policy" before distribution.

That one disappeared quickly.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

BlackKnight

Phil Boylan, Maj, CAP
DCS, Rome Composite Sqdn - GA043
http://www.romecap.org/

arajca

Quote from: BlackKnight on November 03, 2005, 03:55:07 PM
If those of us in the trenches can see consequences so clearly, why can't Wing Staff?  ::)

Perhaps because we are not standing in the middle of the dazzling light of the wing hq intelligence? ;D

groundpounder

Quote from: BlackKnight on November 03, 2005, 03:55:07 PM
  The membership dues paid by a GAWG cadet must entitle him/her to the same opportunities available to a cadet in any other wing.

The thread mirrors the issues raised in another thread on this board regarding the NYW Senior Member Promotion Policy.

I agree that the Wing CC's are reading way too much local power into the National regulations and are bastardizing the intent of the promotion regulations. The "boxes that need to be checked" should remain the same for all members, regardless of geographical location.

If the Wing does not feel that the lower echelons are using good judgment in promoting members, perhaps they should look within and examine the leadership that they are providing. A mentor that I respected greatly once told me that "fish rots from the head down." Maybe the folks in GA and NY Wing need to take a hard look at themselves.