Main Menu

Encampment stories

Started by Kal, March 28, 2008, 12:24:31 AM

Eclipse

Edited for focus (by me).

Quote from: Lt. Blues on August 24, 2016, 03:26:30 PM
Well, I've got a few from this year's NH/VT Encampment.

1. I am from CT wing, but like to staff up in NHVT just because. Naturally, I bring some cadets from my sqdn to go there as basics. Well, I was serving as the SET AOIC. On like the 4rd day, one of the cadets from my squadron comes to me. "Sir, can you find a TAC for me, because I am like 99% sure the girl I stand behind in formation has lice." So, I run off to find a TAC. Ultimately, it was true. A girl had lice, so they locked up the dayroom, took the girl in there to preform lice treatment and smother her hair with mayonnaise. The C/ medical OIC was pissed because she had to deal with it. The TACs and medical then proceeded to do lice checks on every cadet at encampment. It took quite a while.

2. I was about to go to the first male barracks to preform a BDU uniform inspection on the cadets with my SET team. When I get up the stairs and see the cadets at attention, I start crying on the inside because there is a cadet standing there with kiwi polish all over his face. I walk over to him and sigh. I look down and see that his boots looked horrific. I turn to him and say "so, you can polish your mouth but not your boots?" He says sorry and proceeds to tell me that he apparently wiped his mouth while he was polishing his boots. Previously that week, I heard that the same cadet had managed to eat/drink bug spay, so I have no idea what to think anymore

3. I was doing CQ one night. I was patrolling the basic encampment floors with another staff member when a basic started saying something. We leaned to his door. He was sleeping, but he was also saying something like "Sir! Sir! Are you alive? Colonel! Talk to me! are you dead?" My CQ partner in the other barraks was a C/Col, so in the CQ log we proceed to report that 'a Basic finds Col. Rose dead.'

4. On the last morning of encampment, all the cadets were changing into their blues for graduation. I was just about to do the same when the same cadet that eat the polish came up to me and said he felt like he had to throw up. I tell him to go to the staff bathroom and throw up there, because it was the closest to where we were. Well, knowing that cadet, I probably should have told him to go in the toilet, because he proceeded to vomit over the drain in the middle of the floor. We took him out and sent him to medical. The bathroom stunk, and we had no legitimate way to clean it up. Well, medical had this disgusting can of orange powdered Gatorade. We had to clean this up fast before graduation so I took the can from medical (with permission of course) and poured it over the vomit. It looked disgusting, but made the room smell quite a bit better. We then swept it up and threw it unto the garbage bin outside. But that's not the end of it. The Chief TAC and I went on to sanitize the broom and dustpan, as well as mop the floor in the bathroom. Well, when Chief TAC was rolling the mop bucket out of the bathroom, it tipped over, and the disgusting water went all over the floor of the staff hallway. We then cleaned all of that up, and proceeded to get ready for graduation. Needless to say, I am never going to be drinking orange Gatorade again any time soon.

It was a jolly good time.

"CQ, firewatch, etc." is and has been prohibited from cadets for at least 2 years. 

CAPP 52-14, Page 7:
"b. Cadet Charge of Quarters or Firewatch. Cadet CQ programs are ineffective as safety precautions, do
not impart meaningful learning, are potentially hazardous, and are therefore prohibited. Cadets will not serve as
sentries or safety monitors during the overnight hours. A senior member must bunk in close proximity to the
cadets (at least one senior per floor or wing is suggested) and be available to respond to any emergencies that
arise between lights-out and reveille. "

Cadets should never have any confusion about who their training officers are, nor where to find them:
Capp 52-24, Page 14:
"The encampment must provide at least one full-time training officer per flight. The ideal maximum cadet to
training officer ratio is 18:1. When large flights are used (ie: flights of more than 18 cadets), it is recommended
that a squadron-level senior training officer or an assistant training officer be available to keep the adult to cadet
ratio manageable. Further, encampments should have senior members of both genders on staff. Typically, female
cadets are the minority, and while in no way limiting their full and active participation, the encampment should
endeavor to have 1 female senior member (who can serve in any staff role) available for every 18 female cadets."

Lastly, I do not understand how we still have "Cadet Medical Anything" in a CAP parlance, especially encampments.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

... and smother her hair with mayonnaise. The C/ medical OIC was pissed because she had to deal with it.

What?

I'm glad I don't have kids, because I would have been super upset if this were my kid... Or a cadet I was responsible for, now that I think about it.

LSThiker

Ultimately, it was true. A girl had lice, so they locked up the dayroom, took the girl in there to preform lice treatment and smother her hair with mayonnaise. The C/ medical OIC was pissed because she had to deal with it. The TACs and medical then proceeded to do lice checks on every cadet at encampment. It took quite a while.

First a cadet medical OIC?  Yeah he/she should not be taking care of that.  I hope parents were contacted before any treatments.

There are no studies that support mayonnaise as a head lice treatment works.  At best, it may get rid of lice that are holding on the hair, but it does not get rid of the nits, which are cemented to the hair shaft.  I know there are many parents that claim it works, but those claims have not been verified and as such should not be used.  At best, the parents should have been contacted. 

QuoteOcclusive Agents

Occlusive agents, such as "petrolatum shampoo," mayonnaise, butter or margarine, herbal oils, and olive oil, applied to suffocate the lice are widely used but have not been evaluated for effectiveness in randomized controlled trials. To date, only anecdotal information is available concerning effectiveness.

Devore CD, Schutze GE; AAP, Council on School Health, Committee on Infectious Dises. Head Lice. Pediatrics. 2015;135(5):e1355–e1365 - October 01, 2015

Quote from: CDC
Is mayonnaise effective for treating head lice?

CDC does not have clear scientific evidence to determine if suffocation of head lice with mayonnaise, olive oil, margarine, butter, or similar substances is an effective form of treatment.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on August 24, 2016, 03:57:19 PM
Legit issues raised, I pulled to discuss with mods...

Safe to say I'll just keep my thoughts to myself then?

Eclipse

Quote from: Капитан Хаткевич on August 24, 2016, 06:17:52 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on August 24, 2016, 03:57:19 PM
Legit issues raised, I pulled to discuss with mods...

Safe to say I'll just keep my thoughts to myself then?

Do not let my neurosis affect yours.  See above.

"That Others May Zoom"

Fubar

Col Lee has mentioned on more than one occasion how much he likes to visit as many encampments as possible. Perhaps he should add NH/VT to the list.

PA Guy

Lt Blue,

You may have had a "jolly good time" but you didn't go to an encampment you attended a giant cluster. The mayo incident just beggars belief!!!!!

THRAWN

Quote from: Fubar on August 25, 2016, 05:40:19 AM
Col Lee has mentioned on more than one occasion how much he likes to visit as many encampments as possible. Perhaps he should add NH/VT to the list.

Add it to the list or make it a summer home. Gadzooks.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023