Level 1 and CPPT completion, how does it get submitted/recorded?

Started by mynetdude, March 07, 2008, 05:50:37 AM

mynetdude

Believe me, I did a search, there were references to Level 1/CPPT but the search gets so big because there is only so many words you can pick out to try to narrow your search... quite impossible.

When I first came to CAP in late 2006, NHQ had just began to beta test doing the Level 1/Foundations course online and eliminating the videotape that you had to take home to watch.

I remember having to sign paperwork every time I did something.. whether it was CPPT, Level 1 and even get promoted to 2d Lt.  My question is this:

Does Level 1/CPPT still get submitted on an F11 signed by a commander/PDO/Personnel officer and faxed to NHQ? Or does the member take a test online now? I looked everywhere on eServices and I believe I haven't looked hard enough to find it either.

I know OPSEC is done online, no questions asked there.

arajca

Level I and CPPT are two-part courses. First part is done on line. Second part is a discussion with your commander/CDS/PDO. You sign a CAPF 11. Whoever conducts the discussion signs as course director and the appropriate commander (wing, unless passed down to group or unit) signs the form. The form gets faxed or scanned/emailed to National and the completion is posted. Usually takes a couple hours between when national receives the form and it is posted.

mynetdude

Quote from: arajca on March 07, 2008, 05:55:56 AM
Level I and CPPT are two-part courses. First part is done on line. Second part is a discussion with your commander/CDS/PDO. You sign a CAPF 11. Whoever conducts the discussion signs as course director and the appropriate commander (wing, unless passed down to group or unit) signs the form. The form gets faxed or scanned/emailed to National and the completion is posted. Usually takes a couple hours between when national receives the form and it is posted.

So these are still done by doing a F11, I thought so... I haven't heard of any changes except how you get the instruction for Level 1/Foundations.  CPPT is still the same as far as I understand it.

I haven't had to do this so wished my squadron would give me more 'cruits to practice this on them! :D

Pylon

Here's a good question to add to this discussion...

How does Level I orientation course get posted to E-Services for senior members with the Mitchell Award with less than the two year break in service?

For example, I have a SM who was a former cadet.  Transferred to SM status with no break in membership.  Had his Mitchell, completed CPPT and OPSEC.  Mitchell, CPPT and OPSEC are posted to his account, but Level I will not show. 

What do I send up to ask he be credited with the Level I completion that his record already shows he's earned?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

brasda91

Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

brasda91

Quote from: Pylon on March 07, 2008, 06:10:31 AM

How does Level I orientation course get posted to E-Services for senior members with the Mitchell Award with less than the two year break in service?

For example, I have a SM who was a former cadet.  Transferred to SM status with no break in membership.  Had his Mitchell, completed CPPT and OPSEC.  Mitchell, CPPT and OPSEC are posted to his account, but Level I will not show. 

What do I send up to ask he be credited with the Level I completion that his record already shows he's earned?

Have you checked e-services?  What about submitting a Form 11 with "Exempt from Level I" written across the top?
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

mynetdude

Quote from: brasda91 on March 07, 2008, 06:16:31 AM

Have you checked e-services?  What about submitting a Form 11 with "Exempt from Level I" written across the top?

A couple notes to point out:

brasda91 - I did read the webpage, that is why I came asking... I have a commander asking me how this is done.  With all the changes it seems like a lot has gotten changed when only just a couple things have.

Also that link doesn't say "IF you were a former cadet and have had less than a 2 year break in service, you are ELIGIBLE for an exempt from Level1"

That being said, writing that on the F11 IMHO would suffice. And I would submit documentation of that just that way NHQ can't say "we can't find this person's Mitchell award" (they can just look in eServices, they are the ones who designed this stuff).

brasda91

OK, I found it:

CAP requires senior members to complete Level I training.

CAP allows exceptions for the following:
a. Former CAP cadets transferring to senior member status, provided they earned the Mitchell Award or higher and have less than a 2-year membership break prior to assuming senior member status.

Per 50-17, page 9.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

SarDragon

OK, folks, one more time!

Level I consists of three parts:
1. Foundations (formerly Orientation)
2. CPPT
3. OPSEC

When all three have been completed, fill out a Form 11, and send it in. It tells you that right on this web page: http://level2.cap.gov/visitors/programs/programs_for_adults/professional_development/resident_courses/levelone/

It's in blue, in the Notes for Commanders.

All emphasis mine.

Quote from: From the 50-173-1.b. Former CAP members who have completed Level I training (orientation and CPPT) and have less than a 2-year
membership break.

3-2. Level I Program.
This level consists of the Orientation Course and Cadet Protection Program Training.

OPSEC was included after the latest change to the 50-17.

The quote in brasda91's post was taken slightly out of context.

The full paragraph:

a. Former CAP cadets transferring to senior member status, provided they earned the Mitchell Award or higher and have less than a 2-year membership break prior to assuming senior member status. However, they still must complete Cadet Protection Program Training (CPPT). In this case, units must notify NHQ CAP/ETP with substantiating documentation. A fingerprint card must also be submitted to NHQ CAP/DPP at the time of application for senior membership.

Why don't we all make the change in our heads, and support it, so new members five or ten years down the road aren't passing along outdated information, just like the folks who still use 50 year old uniform terminology.

Y'all can sit and pick apart any number of publications in a big windmill tilt, but can't embrace changes in order to avoid confusing new members that we want to keep around more than their first year.

[/rant]
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

mynetdude

I know what is required, and I know that whether or not a cadet decides to join as a senior member at the age of 18 they still have to have CPPT within 6 months of turning 18.  Again, if a cadet decides he/she wants to come back in less than 2 years and has Mitchell and has not taken the CPPT prior to inactivity they are required to have the CPPT however are waived the foundations requirement.

The reason I asked was it was befudded at the fact OPSEC requires an online test, the rest of the stuff does not (yet, if it will?) However both Foundations and CPPT require online reading (Foundations used to be a VCR Cassette you had to watch).

The rest of the stuff isn't news to me... the information is unclear to most people who read the Level 1 information though.

SarDragon

One more thought on this -

The Form 11 has check boxes for CPPT + Orientation, CPPT only, and Orientation only. Using them, along with separate forms for each category, will avoid confusion at NHQ when they are processed.

Also, if you have so many people on the form that you carry over to the back side, annotate the bottom of the front side that there are more names on the back. NHQ has missed names on two forms that I sent in, and on others I've known about from other units.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

mynetdude

Quote from: SarDragon on March 07, 2008, 08:30:49 AM
One more thought on this -

The Form 11 has check boxes for CPPT + Orientation, CPPT only, and Orientation only. Using them, along with separate forms for each category, will avoid confusion at NHQ when they are processed.

Also, if you have so many people on the form that you carry over to the back side, annotate the bottom of the front side that there are more names on the back. NHQ has missed names on two forms that I sent in, and on others I've known about from other units.

GREAT tip! Yeah I noticed that on the F11, you can submit CPPT+Orientation/orient only/CPPT only.

I agree sending them in separately per class is probably a good idea, and then of course... if you do a multiple person entry... I would not bother using the back of the form because if they are going to duly miss this which is stupid... because they TELL us to print on both sides... they frown upon page 1/2 being stapled together they'd rather see it printed on BOTH sides... and they themselves DON'T check this!

I have seen worse, wing loses paperwork, NHQ loses paperwork... why is this chronic? NHQ isn't as bad at losing paperwork as much as the one wing I know does.  I know this is off topic, but it goes to show there is a pattern of either A) lose paperwork or B) gross ignorance of additional data on reverse side when you KNOW there are always two sides to the form even if there may not be any information on the 2nd side.

My point is, if the USAF can't even find/locate additional information on forms they originally designed and instructed us to print in a proper dual sided manner then I'm not sure I see any point in forms really or part of it for that matter.

I have not submitted any forms to higher elechon yet, that will be fun.

SarDragon

Whoa, hoss.   ;)  This isn't USAF looking at the form, it's paid civilians. They get half a mountain of paperwork in there every day, and sometimes something gets missed. You wouldn't believe some of the crap they get from the squadrons. Most paperwork goes through Group and Wing, but there are a few things that can go straight to NHQ, and some of them are horrid.

I have been on the phone with them many times, and they work really hard to keep things straight. I do what I can to help them out from my end. Apparently, the number of Form 11s with names on the back is a small percentage of the total, so it's easy to miss.

Be patient with them, cuz they are certainly patient with us, and the really hosed up paperwork that crosses their desks. We all make misteaks, and I certainly don't live in a glass house. Do you?  8)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

brasda91

Quote from: SarDragon on March 07, 2008, 07:02:56 AM

The quote in brasda91's post was taken slightly out of context.

No it wasn't.  The question was only in regards to whether or not a cadet transferring to a sm was exempt from the Foundations Course.  We already knew the cadet > sm had completed CPPT and OPSEC.  mynetdude was asking specifically about an exemption.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

Pylon

Quote from: SarDragon on March 07, 2008, 09:03:36 AM
Most paperwork goes through Group and Wing, but there are a few things that can go straight to NHQ, and some of them are horrid.

Makes you wonder if they have a "Best of" gallery for the most ridiculous paperwork ever received.   ;D
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

mikeylikey

Quote from: Pylon on March 07, 2008, 01:42:11 PM
Most paperwork goes through Group and Wing, but there are a few things that can go straight to NHQ, and some of them are horrid.

Makes you wonder if they have a "Best of" gallery for the most ridiculous paperwork ever received.   ;D

Crayon signatures, and smiley faces over the i's     :D
What's up monkeys?

mynetdude

Whoa, hoss.   ;)  This isn't USAF looking at the form, it's paid civilians. They get half a mountain of paperwork in there every day, and sometimes something gets missed. You wouldn't believe some of the crap they get from the squadrons. Most paperwork goes through Group and Wing, but there are a few things that can go straight to NHQ, and some of them are horrid.

I have been on the phone with them many times, and they work really hard to keep things straight. I do what I can to help them out from my end. Apparently, the number of Form 11s with names on the back is a small percentage of the total, so it's easy to miss.

Be patient with them, cuz they are certainly patient with us, and the really hosed up paperwork that crosses their desks. We all make misteaks, and I certainly don't live in a glass house. Do you?  8)

Like I said I haven't had to send up paperwork, and sorry if I said if they were USAF I know they are not.  They are paid employees indeed I am just saying the forms are "modeled" (at least that what I should have said) after how the USAF does some of its forms. Print them dual sided not 2 pages stapled.  Sure I can understand that they miss info on some of the pages.   But IMHO that goes with alittle common sense, just flip the page over and if its blank you've CYA'd and you can move on.

Tim Medeiros

When I transferred to SM status, the day I saw that it changed I called up NHQ PD registrar to ask how and they did it while I was on the phone, even put my highest award in the "How Completed" field to help make my promotion easier.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

Camas

Quote from: mynetdude on March 07, 2008, 08:38:46 AM
I have seen worse, wing loses paperwork, NHQ loses paperwork... why is this chronic?
You've seen worse but you've never submitted forms to a higher echelon yet?  Where are you going with this?   :o

mynetdude

Quote from: Camas on March 07, 2008, 06:13:06 PM
Quote from: mynetdude on March 07, 2008, 08:38:46 AM
I have seen worse, wing loses paperwork, NHQ loses paperwork... why is this chronic?
You've seen worse but you've never submitted forms to a higher echelon yet?  Where are you going with this?   :o

From what I have been told by people in my unit and neighboring units who have done it, that doesn't mean I believe them 100%.  But I do know it does happen, as to how they made it sound... its alittle farfetched. 

What I am saying is, yes they have told me this and that has happened (and its true it has) but as to how severe... I am not sure about that, that is my opinion though other than the fact that it did/does happen.  NHQ lost our latest recruit's paperwork... he was supposed to be on the NHQ database in October, instead he became a member in January due to the fact they lost the paperwork and he had to do it all over again.

As for WG, I have sent plenty up to wing but mostly F108 reimbursements and I get back a check every single time so thats good for that.