Main Menu

Renewal or not?

Started by flyboy, March 02, 2008, 04:21:49 PM

flyboy

Time has come for me to renew my CAP membership for the eleventh time.  When I think about renewal I find that I really don't want to do it anymore.  I guess that I could renew simply to preserve my rank in the event that my feelings change, but that doesn't really seem right to me.

During my CAP career I've worn many hats, including command, group participation, and even cadet programs.  There have been some good experiences, but there has been a constant and ever increasing sense of disappointment.  I've gotten to the point where I simply don't believe promises made to me by those in "command" because my experience has been that more often than not, those promises are broken.  The political in-fighting among members at all levels and all to frequent public scandals leave me with feeling sickened.   I find it impossible to get motivated to train when my unit gets called out on one mission every year or so, and that mission is simply to turn off an errant ELT.   In my eleven years in CAP my unit has never been involved in anything that even comes close to lifesaving.  I joined CAP with the hope that I could use my aviation skills turn kids onto aviation, but I've never even been able to get a check ride despite being an experienced pilot.   I learned early on that this wasn't going to happen for me.  I called over a dozen check pilots to try and arrange a check ride, only two ever returned my calls.  Then given the limits of my work schedule and their availability, and my need to drive a minimum of 200 miles to meet with a pilot I quickly learned that this wasn't a realistic option for me. Nevertheless, Cadet Programs has always been the thing that's kept me in the organization, but I see fewer cadets these days and I find that working with cadets has become increasingly political and hazardous to one's reputation. I've seen fellow officers defamed, and even accused of "cadet protection" violations for things that simply don't even come close such as yelling at a cadet to avoid a safety hazard.   In other instances I see our officers viciously going after each other based upon either entirely bogus or at best minimal regulatory violations.  One needs only read the postings in this website to realize how self-righteous and mean-spirited some of our fellow officers are at times.  I find that more and more, I simply don't want to be around those types of people.

Then I think about the other things I can do with my time.  My religious organization has many uses for my time, and they don't require a myriad of certifications (all requiring multiple trips out of town) for me to help out.  There are a number of other community groups where I can be involved and actually do something, rather than endlessly train for the mission that never comes. 

When I think about these things, my disappointment with CAP, the more effective use of my time and resources in other organizations, and I'm left wondering why should I continue with CAP?   Maybe I'm just burned-out or have simply done what I'm going to do in CAP and it's time for me to move on and the change is in me and not in CAP.  I apologize if I offend anyone, but the folks here are the leaders or future leaders of CAP and I can't believe that I'm the only member who is or has experienced these feelings.

SoCalCAPOfficer

Flyboy, I do not know where you are located, that your unit would only have the opportunity to respond to one ELT in a year.  I understand that you came into CAP to fly and even though you did not get that opportunity, you have given of yourself in other ways over the years.  You may just be burned out.  However, that is no reason to leave the organization.  You may just need a change.  Maybe you still need to fly.

If by any chance you are in the Southern California area, send me a PM and I can make sure you get a Form 5 checkride within a reasonable amount of time.   I have 2 CAP checkpilots in my unit that love to give Form 5's and they are happy to accommodate anyone who needs there help.

So if you live close and still would like to complete what you wished to do years ago, let me know.
Daniel L. Hough, Maj, CAP
Commander
Hemet Ryan Sq 59  PCR-CA-458

BillB

Flyboy is 100% on target. Not only his renewal, but the decreasing retention rate in CAP. The political in-fighting is so rampant that mebers throughout the country are not renewing. And this applis not only to seniors, but to cadets. If you think cadets don't see the bickering, in-fighting and lose interest in the program, think again.
More often than not, a Squadron will be called for many ELT searches by Wing, while other squadrons are ignored. An example of the "good-old-boy" network that seems to be throughout CAP.
But there is a reverse side to this. If there are any cadets in the squadron, that area should be the first priority. While there may be fewer cadets, a good recruiting program will bring in new cadets. Many units train for support of local agencies, that may be an avenue for your Squadron to consider. Assistance to the Red Cross, County Emergency Management is easy to set up and there are already MOUs in place for that. If your Commander contacts the Wing Director of Operation and tells him you've been trying to get a form 5 ride for X number of months, you'll find help from Wing.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Eclipse

Quote from: BillB on March 02, 2008, 05:41:56 PM
Flyboy is 100% on target. Not only his renewal, but the decreasing retention rate in CAP. The political in-fighting is so rampant that members throughout the country are not renewing. And this applis not only to seniors, but to cadets. If you think cadets don't see the bickering, in-fighting and lose interest in the program, think again. 

Sweeping statements like these, based on opinion, and contrary to the facts, don't do anything but perpetuate the problem.

If anything, the removal of HWSRN has quieted the political nonsense, and while the purges continue, we've obviously turned a corner (not that most politics above the Group level mean much to a local unit anyway).  Membership has also appeared to stabilize in the last 6 months or so, but in many states it is at the static level its been for a decade.

Flyboy, if your batteries are dry, take some time away from CAP.  It isn't good for either side when a volunteer feels put-upon or really isn't interested in playing anymore.

If you have grade to preserve, I would suggest you drop to patron and maintain your membership.

Bottom line, if the ROI on your valuable time is not at least equal, its time to move on.

"That Others May Zoom"

mikeylikey

What's up monkeys?

bosshawk

Flyboy: I, too, share your frustration at the politics and less than efficient handling of personnel in CAP.  I just renewed for year 16 and I have gone through your agony at least 15 times.  This time I renewed on the very last day of the month that my membership was valid: really was torn about it.

Like SoCalOfficer, I can get you a Form 5 arranged.  I, too, live in CA, but in central CA.

When I moved up to the Wing Staff, I did so knowing very well that the politics were nasty and unforgiving: probably more so than any politics in a Squadron could ever be.  With as many years as I had in the military, I pretty much let politics bounce off of my back without compromising my ethics and values.  If I see something that is worthwhile, I'll fight for it and I find that I often prevail.

Like someone before me said, if you really want to take a break, please do so.  Become a patron or simply renew and don't participate, so that you can hold what you have earned so far.

CAP is a hobby, not a vocation.  We can all unvolunteer just as rapidly as we volunteered.  Whenever someone tries to get on my case, I simply quote that statement.

Good luck and I am sure that you will do the right thing for the important person: YOU.  Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Stonewall

For the past 5 years I've debated about renewal.  I have also tried and tried again to get back into it.  Compared to my experiences 10 years prior, there is a big difference.  Not just administratively, but operationally and that of membership (personnel).   I can't bribe cadets to do much more than color guard or take tests.  Many seniors are all about the flying or encouraging the cadets to study hard for their tests and get that promotion.

I understand this is just my individual experience and CAP varies from city to city, wing to wing.  But I can't bring myself to stay in because it's going great out in CAWG.  It has to be thriving where I am.  The program as a whole has to motivate me to want to be a part of it.  I have been late in my renewal every year for the past 5 years as I contemplate renewing or not.  I've shown back to meetings for a few weeks and then stop going again. 

I recently tried to find a spark of life in CAP a couple months ago and couldn't bring myself to fall in love again.  I think my retirement paperwork will be submitted this year.
Serving since 1987.

RiverAux

Maybe the program does stink where you're at, and if that is the case, move on to something else.  Happily, I'm not in that place.

While this isn't directed at your unit since I don't know where you're at, but when I hear people complaining about lack of missions, my first thought is, "when was the last time your squadron commander met with the local sheriff and the local emergency manager?"  Unless you happen to be on one of the coasts which has more ELT missions than they can handle, you are most likely not going to get very many ELT or airplane search missions and it is up to your local squadron and wing to generate your own missions by having great relationships with our counterparts in local and state governments.  There are more than enough lost person cases to keep everyone in the woods. 

Ricochet13

Quote from: flyboy on March 02, 2008, 04:21:49 PM
Time has come for me to renew my CAP membership for the eleventh time.  When I think about renewal I find that I really don't want to do it anymore.  I guess that I could renew simply to preserve my rank in the event that my feelings change, but that doesn't really seem right to me.

I replied to you in an email.  And, contrary to what some might say, don't quit yet.  The questions and doubts you expressed have validity and need to be asked each time any of us commit time, energy, and money to the organization.  Nothing wrong with asking the questions.

Stonewall

Quote from: RiverAux on March 02, 2008, 07:44:11 PM
Maybe the program does stink where you're at, and if that is the case, move on to something else.  Happily, I'm not in that place.

While this isn't directed at your unit since I don't know where you're at, but when I hear people complaining about lack of missions, my first thought is, "when was the last time your squadron commander met with the local sheriff and the local emergency manager?"  Unless you happen to be on one of the coasts which has more ELT missions than they can handle, you are most likely not going to get very many ELT or airplane search missions and it is up to your local squadron and wing to generate your own missions by having great relationships with our counterparts in local and state governments.  There are more than enough lost person cases to keep everyone in the woods. 

I'm on a coast.  In fact, my squadron was one of the first coastal patrol squadrons back in the day.  Today, my squadron flies more missions than most wings and some regions.  My squadron commander (up until a month ago) is an AFRES Colonel (group commander) and a police officer for the very large police department (we're the largest city in CONUS).  If I were an active flier, I'd be happy as a pig in mud.  But while I'm an observer, my love for CAP goes with the Cadet Program with ground ES being a close second.  Unlike many adults in CAP, I didn't join CAP solely for ES, but for a combination of all three missions.

Kids across the board are not the same as they were 8 to 10 years ago.  That's normal.  But it has changed to the point where it isn't fun for me.  I keep trying and trying again, but I'm stubborn and think something will change over a 4 to 6 month period.  Sadly I am wrong.

I do know what it's like to be in a hoppin'-n-poppin' squadron and wing.  Overall, FLWG is one of the largest and most active in ES, mostly air.  But that's not my forte.  Sucks to be me, no worries.  I've got my day job (really a night job) as a cop, the air guard, 3 surfboards, lots of fishing poles and a great family.  Just kind of blows to have spent so much time, money and effort into a program that I used to live for, but in the past 5 years has disappointed me more than anything.  We all have our reasons for not renewing and retiring.  I don't regret my time in CAP, I only wish the good times could have lasted.
Serving since 1987.

JohnKachenmeister

You guys are depressing me!

I just renewed.  Not that I am not also frustrated and disappointed, but I've got two things going for me:

1.  I'm in a great Group.  Good people, lots of activity, lots of training, and just a bit of an attitude.

2.  I go back to the early 1960's in this organization.  I am hoping that we are just going through a phase, and eventually this "Corporate mentality" will be exterminated.  Then we can get back to doing what CAP was created for, and can do it without a bunch of barracks lawyers telling me that wearing a patch that says "US Air Force Auxiliary" will violate a law that they have never actually read.
Another former CAP officer

Stonewall

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on March 02, 2008, 08:58:45 PM
I am hoping that we are just going through a phase, and eventually this "Corporate mentality" will be exterminated. 

You and me both.  However, I said this back in the mid-90s after the initial change to the corporate ways of doing things.  I personally noticed a physical change in CAP back then.  At first I was supportive but hesitant.  After a couple years, I regretted those initial feelings. 

I think the Air Force is trying to re-militarize itself, if that makes sense.  I'm hoping CAP will do the same.
Serving since 1987.

flyboy

I appreciate all the comments and suggestion to my post. 

I often hear that people believe that CAP is better off being more military, but I wonder if that's really the problem and/or solution.  After all, we don't have the large population of veterans that prior generations had, and CAP really doesn't seem to provide much in the way of military training.  I actually think that the problem is a lack of mission.  ELTs are going away.  Cadets don't seem as awed by aviation as they used to be.  Kids in general are much more sedentary than we used to be.  I never have figured out how to measure success in aerospace education.

Capt Rivera

if it helps... i just renewed... im curious, where are you? not so we can bash the region/wing/sqd... but maybe someone here can help?
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

DrJbdm

I have gone back and forth for a few years on rather to renew or not and for a few years I left CAP because it seemed to suffer a lot from the anti military mindset of our leaders and it gets worse every year.

I continue to renew every year now for the flying, it took a few years to gain the flight time I needed to fly for CAP, now I am a MP, and also do ROTC o-flights. If the flying was to ever go away then I would probably follow along with it after a period of time. CAP saves me thousands of dollars a year in flying, I get to maintain great currency and have fun flying with friends at the same time. In fact CAP is the only way I can keep flying, I just could not afford to spend a few hundred dollars a month to maintain currency without CAP.

Everyone's interest is different, some will stay and some will not. CAP is broken, and it has been for a very long time and no one in command has really noticed or done much to really address the problem, bandaids will not cure this disease. We need a complete rebuild or I fear we will become irrelevant as things change.

Gunner C

I renewed day before yesterday.  Part of me said "It's time to do it again."  Another part asked "Why am I doing this to myself again?"

I love the Civil Air Patrol.  I owe the organization a great deal.  I was a successful NCO and officer because of the training I got as a cadet.  I have had the opportunity to conduct some pretty interesting air operations since I came back in.  But I'm also tired of the new mentality that permiates through the force - not all, not a majority, but a vocal minority who tries to move CAP away from what it was in the 50s, 60s, and 70s - a military-styled organization that trains cadets, conducts missions, and is a part of the Air Force.

I've grown tired of poor leadership.  I've grown tired of watching friends who are fine leaders who are serving under untrained politicians.  Case in point - a good friend of mine served under a region commander as a chief of staff.  The region CC (who has only been in CAP for 9 years) had absolutely no idea of how to use a staff.  My friend tried to direct the staff to support the region plan, but alas, there was no plan.  When he actually wrote a program to develop a plan, it was ignored by region CC.  The CC hauled off and did some shady stuff (not sure exactly what).  My friend brought it to light and was fired along with another officer who reported it. The commander is still there. I've known him since we were cadets together in Alaska - he's a seasoned officer who was himself a commander both in CAP and active duty.  But he's despondent about what has happened to the organization.  He won't talk about what's going on out there - I think he's worried about being sued, but he's clammed up in the past couple of months. I found out about him being relieved through the grapevine, not from him.

Corruption, greed, immorality.  That's what we have.

I'll stay in, but only in the hope that we are able to turn things around.

GC

CadetProgramGuy

All,

I have been debating this for about a month solid.  Do I 2B myself or do I just fade away from glory and not renew.  Many of my fellow officers have chosen to go ny the way of the 2B.  Self termination of membership from the Wing. 

I have grown to love CAP in my almost 6 years as a member, but alas, as of late I grow weary with all of the politics, and good ol boy policies that seem never to go away.

I asked myself the other day.  Do I miss CAP or do I miss my friends that have left CAP for other ventures?  I miss my friends.

I will still hold a special place in my heart for CAP, but it is time to move on.

ColonelJack

Tossing my two cents into the ring ...

Flyboy, I was in your shoes 12 years ago.  Renewal became simply an annual decision to be made ("Dear God, do I want to do all that again???") and, after burning out in most areas of CAP, I submitted my retirement papers.

My attention to -- and love of -- CAP has never eased, though, and I have kept very close tabs on the organization, to see when the right time to rejoin would be.  Sadly, it hasn't come yet.  As mentioned, the removal of He Who Shall Not Be Named helped a lot, but I want to see the foolish politics end, or at least ease up, before I commit money and time on an annual basis again.

I can't advise you, Flyboy, other than to say ... "Do what is right for you.  You'll know what it is."

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Hawk200

Quote from: flyboy on March 03, 2008, 02:53:24 AM
I often hear that people believe that CAP is better off being more military, but I wonder if that's really the problem and/or solution. 

I don't think it's the problem. I think the problem is that we need to choose. Even on this board, there are both camps. In my own unit, I had a LTC tell me that we didn't need to wear Air Force uniforms. The serious irony is that he was wearing blues at the time.

As for doing the flying thing, I decided to go that route when I got back in CAP. Fortunately, I managed to do it with the Army Guard, but I wanted to do it in CAP too. Things worked out. Only thing I'd recommend is to make your own decision as to how far you want to go, distance wise. I drive two and a half hours to do aircrew for the Guard, and for the time being, it's worth it. You may have to consider farther units to do that.

It will probably take some serious consideration. Keep in mind that there are probably people out there that greatly appreciate your presence in CAP. They may not say it, but the appreciation is there.

mikeylikey

Quote from: ColonelJack on March 03, 2008, 10:46:07 AM
My attention to -- and love of -- CAP has never eased, though, and I have kept very close tabs on the organization, to see when the right time to rejoin would be.  Sadly, it hasn't come yet.

Come on Col.  We need more good guys to rejoin.  Spend the $65.00 and get back into the swing!  You can do more if you are a member to change the organization than if you sit on the line.   ;)
What's up monkeys?