The AF style Flight Jacket

Started by alpha06, September 21, 2005, 10:50:30 AM

alpha06

WHat is the rule about wearing the AF style flight jacket withthe CAP blues or the flight suit?
Lord, if I must have an engine failure, let it be the Hobbs meter.

Mac

We are not allowed to wear the AF style leather flight jacker with any AF style uniform.

Quote from: CAPM 39-1 Fig 2-19 Page 349. The Air Force brown leather flight jacket is NOT authorized with this or any Air Force style uniform. The MA-1 flight jacket or the CWU-45/P or CWU-36/P Nomex flight jackets may be worn.

And it may only be worn with the green flight suit, not the blues uniform.
Derk MacPherson, Lt Col, CAP
Vice Commander
Alaska Wing, PCR-AK-001

Major_Chuck

Not authorized for Air Force style uniforms but nothing prohibiting wear with the Aviator Uniform combinations.
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

capchiro

Or any other CAP distinctive uniform for that matter
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

A1Steaksauce

What about the Blue USAF flight jacket?

Psicorp

The black leather flight jacket is authorized with the aviator shirt uniform combination.  I had originally thought it was also authorized with the CAP flightsuit as well, but apparently that isn't true.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

shorning

Quote from: A1Steaksauce on October 28, 2006, 04:59:49 PM
What about the Blue USAF flight jacket?

Which jacket are you talking about?  The Air Force doesn't have a blue flight jacket.  There is a leather one (not authorized for CAP) and a Nomex sage green one (not authorized with blues).  Have you checked M39-1?

Eclipse

If you wear the blue nomex flight suit, either currnet version, (until 2009), or recently approved darker-blue nomex, you are supposed to wear a blue
flight jacket.

No flight gear is approved for wear over any combination of service dress (blues).

"That Others May Zoom"

A1Steaksauce

Sorry, it's not really a flight jacket. It's descibed on the tag as, "Jacket, Man's: Lightweight with removable liner". It's a navy blue zipper jacket that some people refer to as a flight jacket and is usually worn by cadet officers over their light blue shirt.

SarDragon

Quote from: A1Steaksauce on October 29, 2006, 09:20:04 PM
Sorry, it's not really a flight jacket. It's descibed on the tag as, "Jacket, Man's: Lightweight with removable liner". It's a navy blue zipper jacket that some people refer to as a flight jacket and is usually worn by cadet officers over their light blue shirt.

Not exactly true. There is a blue flight jacket available from commercial vendors, in Nomex. There also used to be two different nylon jackets available from CAPMart, but it seems Vanguard doesn't carry them.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: A1Steaksauce on October 29, 2006, 09:20:04 PM

That is the only jacket (other than the trench coat) approved for wear over blues, and is a HUGE non-no over a flight suit, or any other uniform parts.

And contrary to semi-popular belief, simply removing the grade insignia
does not make it a civilian jacket.

"That Others May Zoom"

shorning

Quote from: Eclipse on October 30, 2006, 05:24:52 AM

Funny, I'd wear mine that way.  The Air Force doesn't care as long as there is no insignia.

SarDragon

Quote from: shorning on October 30, 2006, 06:05:37 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on October 30, 2006, 05:24:52 AM

Funny, I'd wear mine that way.  The Air Force doesn't care as long as there is no insignia.

Nor did the Navy about their lightweight jacket. Still have mine in my closet, and wear it with my aviator shirt and grey slacks. Unlike many other uniform items, there are no other bits and pieces that identify these jackets as uniform items.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Al Sayre

Last time I looked, London Fog made identical ones to both the Navy Black and the Air Force Blue for the civilian market...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

MIKE

I think this is Eclipse's reference:

Quote from: CAPP 151Section C-Appearance 11. b. You may wear only authorized uniform combinations; you may not mix uniform items or wear distinctive uniform items with civilian clothes. (Distinctive uniform items are those items that are unique to the uniform. They include grade insignia, ribbons, cap devices, and buttons with Civil Air Patrol coat of
arms).
Mike Johnston

davedove

From CAPM 39-1, 4-1:

Appropriate civilian outerwear is authorized with these combinations including the light blue windbreaker with the CAP seal embroidered on the right breast and the dark blue flight jacket.

So there is a dark blue flight jacket, but as has been stated, it is civilian wear and not authorized with any of the AF style uniforms.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Eclipse

As per usual, many of us will play fast and loose with the regs and/or do whatever we want, despite them.

Just be aware that the mere fact that no one says anything to your face, doesn't mean that the conduct and actions aren't noticed by everyone, including the USAF people when they are around.

"That Others May Zoom"

shorning

Quote from: Eclipse on October 30, 2006, 05:53:01 PM
As per usual, many of us will play fast and loose with the regs and/or do whatever we want, despite them.

Just be aware that the mere fact that no one says anything to your face, doesn't mean that the conduct and actions aren't noticed by everyone, including the USAF people when they are around.

Fast and loose with the regs?  Nothing I said falls outside the regs.  It just doesn't fit your paradigm.  From what I've seen throughout your posts, you have a slightly idealistic view of CAP.  You don't have to like it, but you have to realize that your view of the world isn't the only correct one.