Main Menu

Time in Grade Waivers

Started by captrncap, February 19, 2008, 04:09:50 PM

captrncap

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this.

I have a member who has completed Level 4, made significant contribution to the squadron, is very active (100% of squadron meeting for the last 2 years and about 95% of squadron activities), attend encampments, teaches at SLS, CLC, and UCC and is a current SQ/CC.

He is looking to make Major (from Capt). He also wants to complete Level 5 and attend National Staff College.

Does anyone know how difficult it is to do? Would anyone have the wording for such a request?

Thanks for the insight.

Please no philosophical discussion on should he wait, let's change the ranking systems, etc

Maj Ballard

He sounds like several people I know (including me).

What I've been told is to just stick it out, that TIG requirements are there for a reason, no matter how "high speed" you are. *shrug*
L. Ballard, Major, CAP

Eclipse

What you describe is typical of an active member. 

What justification is there to reduce the TIG?

If he's really performing above standard, consider him for a decoration based on cumulative activity.

As to how difficult it is, since this would be a special appointment, you'd need to convince both the Wing and Region CC's, both of whom likely came up through the process organically and will not be inclined to waive TIG.

"That Others May Zoom"

adamblank

Quote from: captrncap on February 19, 2008, 04:09:50 PM

I have a member who has completed Level 4, made significant contribution to the squadron, is very active (100% of squadron meeting for the last 2 years and about 95% of squadron activities), attend encampments, teaches at SLS, CLC, and UCC and is a current SQ/CC.

He is looking to make Major (from Capt). He also wants to complete Level 5 and attend National Staff College.

Does anyone know how difficult it is to do? Would anyone have the wording for such a request?

Thanks for the insight.

Please no philosophical discussion on should he wait, let's change the ranking systems, etc

Once the member says half the TIG you could send it up.  If the WG/CC and Region/CC bless it, you can see if national sends it.  I have talked with one Wing/CC it seems like a minority of the promotions are denied unless his billet (at wing) and qualifications can justify it.  It is just what I have experienced.
Adam Brandao

Grumpy

It sounds similar to the situation I had with our Chaplain.  I made up a complete package on him with documentation and the whole bit.  At first wing denied it but wouldn't return the denial (as outlined in the reg) and just let him hang.  After about four months I submitted another package.  This time it got as far as region but they "lost the paperwork".  Resubmitted again.  Got to National where they were at least honest enough with us to say they didn't know what to do with it because of the change of command.

After almost a year we never did receive an official denial and the chaplain contacted National and just said to drop the whole thing.

In short, "Good Luck"

FW

It's possible to waive TIG requirement for a promotion.  However, my experience is: just one such waiver will be granted to a member.  Soo..., I would wait until he's a Major and would like promotion to Lt Col.  (I usually see a waiver with 1/2 TIG).   

Your description of the member makes for good wording for the request.

And, yes, the granting of a waiver is for special circumstances.  It's not supposed to be easy.  If I were the wing/cc, I would be leary of granting the waiver to someone with only 2 years of commendable service.

Eclipse

Wait, is this a member who has been in a total of only two years and is already a Capt?

If so, then he must have received a special appointment promotion already.  Unless you can show some special mission qualification, there is no justification for him to be bumped to Major so quickly.

"That Others May Zoom"

DrDave

Unless he's a medical/health services officer (doubt it as he's serving as a squadron commander, but you never know -- I'm a medical officer AND group commander).

Medical/nurse/health services officers promote to Major after one year as a Captain with no professional development course requirements other than Level I.

Dr. Dave
Lt. Col. (Dr.) David A. Miller
Director of Public Affairs
Missouri Wing
NCR-MO-098

"You'll feel a slight pressure ..."

Eclipse

Quote from: DrDave on February 19, 2008, 07:36:10 PM
Medical/nurse/health services officers are eligible to promote to Major after one year as a Captain with no professional development course requirements other than Level I.

Dr. Dave

(my additions)   >:D

"That Others May Zoom"

Al Sayre

As are AEO's with Doctorates...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

DrDave

Roger that, Eclipse.  Thanks.

Dr. Dave
Lt. Col. (Dr.) David A. Miller
Director of Public Affairs
Missouri Wing
NCR-MO-098

"You'll feel a slight pressure ..."

captrncap

Quote from: Eclipse on February 19, 2008, 07:39:19 PM
Quote from: DrDave on February 19, 2008, 07:36:10 PM
Medical/nurse/health services officers are eligible to promote to Major after one year as a Captain with no professional development course requirements other than Level I.

Dr. Dave

(my additions)   >:D

No exactly - only physicians are eligible - Licensed physician appointed unit health service program officer with one year as captain (CAPR 35-5 Figure 6)

If you can find it say RN they he would qualify.

CAPOfficer

Quote from: captrncap on February 19, 2008, 04:09:50 PM

Thanks for the insight.

Please no philosophical discussion on should he wait, let’s change the ranking systems, etc

The unwritten rule is ½ the time-in-grade or one level of training, but not both; and only one wavier in ones career.

As for attending National Staff College, if he meets all the other perquisites to attend with the exception of being a Major, he can request a wavier of that requirement from his wing and region commander.  Understanding his level of involvement and willingness to instruct at other professional development course's (SLS, CLC & UCC), it shouldn't be difficult to acquire.

The challenges of getting a promotion wavier approved aren't only in the time-in-grade or training, but in its justification.  Being an active member of Civil Air Patrol (no matter how active), is not in itself justification.  As Eclipese alluded to, we have a decorations system to reward outstanding achievement, service or heroism.  Therefore, it would come down to what other rational this individual would merit being advanced ahead of his or her peers.  For instance, this could be something in the area of advance college degrees and or professional experiences.  Another might be something along the line of mission related experiences outside that which CAP normally considers in the mission arena, i.e. current or past experience as an Emergency Management Director, etc.

Naturally, these are only a couple of quick ideas of which even by themselves don't merit an advance promotion, but do give some kind of an idea as to what they are looking for.

Remember, the ½ time-in-grade or one level of training are not the justification, but the minimum required prior to the sighting the justification.

Eclipse

The other thing is that grade, and especially advanced promotions, is generally commensurate with postings.  Even when you do the math on duty performance minimums against where many members find themselves at about that time.

You say he's a unit CC and a captain, that is completely appropriate - when / if he assumes the role of Group CC, he'd be eligible for Major, a wing / region  job, Lt. Col.

"That Others May Zoom"

Grumpy

In my chaplains's it's not that he was denied the promotion so much as nobody would return the disapproved paper work as outlined in CAPR 35-3, page 4, para, 8f.  They just left the poor guy hanging.

Cecil DP

Quote from: Grumpy on February 19, 2008, 11:57:12 PM
In my chaplains's it's not that he was denied the promotion so much as nobody would return the disapproved paper work as outlined in CAPR 35-3, page 4, para, 8f.  They just left the poor guy hanging.

I had a Captain many years ago who had that problem. Wing would get the paperwork and then lose it. After 2 tries, he filed an IG complaint with Region and the Wing Commander was told in no uncertain term to stop playing games, sign the promotion, and send it on within the next 10 days.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Eclipse

Quote from: Grumpy on February 19, 2008, 11:57:12 PM
In my chaplains's it's not that he was denied the promotion so much as nobody would return the disapproved paper work as outlined in CAPR 35-3, page 4, para, 8f.

35-3?  Why would you want to promote someone you are going to terminate?   ;D

"That Others May Zoom"

Grumpy

Oops, don't ya jus hate it when it happens?  I thought 35-5 but my fingers said 35-3   ;D

Eclipse

Kidding aside, that reg is clear what needs to happen on a denial, but there is no prescription or requirement for the time it takes to be considered.

Unless the wing has a supplement or policy on it, I imagine these requests could sit indefinitely on a Wing CC's desk.

Common courtesy would dictate otherwise, however...

"That Others May Zoom"

Cecil DP

When I was the DP for Massachusetts. The policy was get it out the same day we got the promotion, if possible. Any CAPF2's that were denied or incomplete were returned that night with instruction on what had to be done.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85