Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2017, 10:21:02 AM
Home Help Login Register
News:

CAP Talk  |  General Discussion  |  Announcements  |  Topic: CAPTalk Outage
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: CAPTalk Outage  (Read 6283 times)
Pylon
Administrator

Unit: NER-NY-408

I Help Non-Profits | Michael Kieloch, Marketing Communications & PR Leadership
« on: February 18, 2008, 03:31:08 PM »

Several days ago, Globat, the domain registrar for captalk.net, failed to do some things on their end which resulted in our domain not functioning properly.  Five calls and two email tickets to Globat customer support resulted in nothing more than a "we don't know why it's not working."  When the issue was finally resolved, Globat had managed to (without authorization) charge my credit card for several extra years of registration at a higher rate than I had been paying.

Long story short:  Sorry for the outage.  The full blame rests with Globat.  Never use them.  Ever.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP
F. R. Sussey Composite Squadron       
tjaxe
Forum Regular

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 04:17:09 PM »

Is there ANYTHING more frustrating than uncaring, unaccountable customer service???

Is it possible to switch the registrar?  I've done that in the past with my websites.  I use the stuff available through mydomain.com.  Been with them for about 7 years -- no issues. I know there's other pretty good ones out there too, though they might be on the price-ier side.

- Tracey, Captain
Public Affairs Officer, Professional Development, Logistics: NER-PA-160
♠SARKID♠
Salty & Seasoned Contributor

Unit: GLR-WI-002

Timmerman Composite Squadron - WIWG - CAP
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 04:22:09 PM »

Well I'm just glad the sites back up.  My veins were swelling from forum withdrawal.

Capt. Dan Turkal
                WI-002/CC
smj58501
Seasoned Member

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 06:39:01 PM »

Send them a copy of "QBQ. The Question Behind the Question" by John G. Miller. Maybe it will help open their eyes a bit to their customer service challenge
Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP
brasda91

Unit: GLR-KY-011

Squadron website
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 07:45:12 PM »

there had just been a thread talking about members not being able to log on.  I hadn't been having any trouble and then this happened.  I thought at first it was on my end, until I tried two seperate systems.  I was thinking 'Great!  Now I can't log on!!"
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011
SStradley

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 09:57:27 AM »

I am glad the list is back.  It was missed over the last few days.

However, it still is the slowest web page to load on the WWW. 
Scott Stradley Maj, CAP

“Duty is the sublimest word in the English language.”  R.E. Lee

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 02:03:58 PM »

Well least I know it wasn't my computer that was acting up.  I tried to get on over the weekend and always got an error message. 

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO
mynetdude

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 02:09:48 PM »

Well I'm just glad the sites back up.  My veins were swelling from forum withdrawal.

so true! I got flustered, finally gave up and moved on as I feared I broke it I guess I had too heavy of a hammer :)
mynetdude

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 02:15:29 PM »

Is there ANYTHING more frustrating than uncaring, unaccountable customer service???

Is it possible to switch the registrar?  I've done that in the past with my websites.  I use the stuff available through mydomain.com.  Been with them for about 7 years -- no issues. I know there's other pretty good ones out there too, though they might be on the price-ier side.

Yes it is possible to transfer, however each time you transfer you also pay to do so and I believe that each transfer gets a 60 day lockout before you can transfer again.  I hope the OP got a refund, in theory you don't get refunds on extended renewals.

I have used GoDaddy.com over the years, I quit using them, went to namesecure.com and I have had not so great service with them and now I have access to a domain reseller account for my own domains and websites I maintain.

Also bear in mind, there is also a period of time you have to wait before you do a transfer after a renewal otherwise when you transfer right after doing a renewal you end up not getting the free extra year included with the transfer and so you end up eating the cost of just transferring with no extension.

Glad its back, thats all I care about good thing I have google desktop, I could search indexed pages as there was some information I needed off these boards and I got it :) luckily.
pixelwonk
Alt-F4 pilot

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 02:50:22 PM »

Also bear in mind, there is also a period of time you have to wait before you do a transfer after a renewal otherwise when you transfer right after doing a renewal you end up not getting the free extra year included with the transfer and so you end up eating the cost of just transferring with no extension.

how's about that in English, Wordsworth?   ;)
"If you want to transfer and it's time to renew, ...just transfer and the renewal is free."
mynetdude

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 02:57:15 PM »

how's about that in English, Wordsworth?   ;)
"If you want to transfer and it's time to renew, ...just transfer and the renewal is free."

oh my my... Tedda... its ok I get to be too wordy, pay no attention to me: *finds me a new label* WordsWorth (almost reminds me of Woolworth stores).

What I meant is if you're going to transfer shortly after renewing (some people actually do this, silly as it may sound) you will want to wait after a certain amount of time AFTER you have just renewed (usually 30-60 days) otherwise if you don't and you do a transfer right after renewing you will not get the extra year as you would when you do a transfer of the domain.
Pages: [1] Print 
CAP Talk  |  General Discussion  |  Announcements  |  Topic: CAPTalk Outage