Main Menu

VolunteerMatch

Started by RiverAux, February 12, 2008, 02:04:43 PM

RiverAux

The new issue of the CG Auxiliary magazine http://www.auxadept.org/navigator/current_issue.pdf has an article about one unit using VolunteerMatch.org to bring in 7-10 new members in one year. 

We've discussed this resource before, and I've found it somewhat usefull - 2 new members in 2 years.  I think it probably works best in larger metro areas where people are probably less likely to come across CAP on their own than in small towns. 

I know a few others are using it, how has it been going?  Are you using the basic service or did you pay more for the "extras"?

Pylon

I'm using the basic service on VolunteerMatch.  I also post the listings with www.1-800-volunteer.org (a project of the United Way).

I've received about 5 referrals in the last full year of doing listings; none have gone on to become members, but two did come to the unit to feel out the program.  One referral may still become a senior member - we're waiting on her to make the decision soon.

It's better than nothing, and free referrals for only an investment of time isn't bad.  I wish I could snag VolunteerMatch's extra services for free (adding photos, renewing listings, multi-zip listings, etc.) but I can't complain for what I get for "free".  I definitely recommend using it.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Maj Ballard

Maybe it's just a function of being in a college town, but all the responses we've ever gotten were people wanting to volunteer just a few hours, not join an organization. We've gotten lots of inquiries but never a serious applicant. Still, good resource I think.
L. Ballard, Major, CAP

brasda91

I think I was the first one to post this topic back several months ago.  So far I've had two inquiries.  One has actually attended a meeting and I think has an interest in joining.  The other inquiry has never returned to my phone calls or e-mail.

I have had more success with our psa on the tv and radio stations.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

Pace

This is one thread that raised my wtf flag.  I read the title and half expected it to be about a dating site for volunteers.   :-*    :D
Lt Col, CAP

dhon27

I did receive a few calls after posting a listing on VolunteerMatch.com.  Only one person (a cadet) ended up joining.  Of course, those results may not be typical, so it's worth a shot, just as a means of reaching a different audience.

NIN

Its hard to tell people:  "Yes, Virginia, to volunteer you gotta pay us for the privilege."

That turns a lot of folks away instantly.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Pylon

Quote from: NIN on February 12, 2008, 07:48:07 PM
Its hard to tell people:  "Yes, Virginia, to volunteer you gotta pay us for the privilege."

That turns a lot of folks away instantly.

Agreed.  My non-profit employer uses volunteers, and many potential volunteers get turned off when they find out they need to submit a fingerprint card and go through some orientation training.  If, like CAP, we threw on a $60/year fee for the privilege of volunteering with our agency to those requirements, we'd likely lose 100% of them.

mynetdude

I don't want to make untrue statements because what I have seen may not be the case where your squadron/wing is.

I have noticed that when you can volunteer for free you get more volunteers and people who are more eager to volunteer because they didn't have to give anything BUT their time.  Now when peole have to give up their MONEY AND time then they expect something in return as if they paid for a product that they didn't get??? Well sure, they got something they got the privilage to WEAR USAF uniforms (if eligible), they get to go on activities you could not do outside CAP and perhaps at a lesser cost?

We seem to have the "coffee & donut" club at our squadron, I guess they are getting their $60-$70 worth! :) I don't care for the coffee or donuts really (I don't drink coffee) but I don't mind the occassional donut and can live with out it; I didn't come to CAP for donuts in the first place I came to LEARN something and ENRICH my want to learn and have my hands and brain doing something.

brasda91

Does it cost anything (yearly dues) to join the cub scouts/girl scouts/boy scouts?  Do they get a binder full of books, regulations, cd, or any of the other supplies that comes with a new cadets membership?  Maybe we can present the dues in a better light when we think about these things?  I know the arguement, "well what about the renewal dues"?  I don't have an answer for that just yet.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

mynetdude

Quote from: brasda91 on February 14, 2008, 04:05:51 AM
Does it cost anything (yearly dues) to join the cub scouts/girl scouts/boy scouts?  Do they get a binder full of books, regulations, cd, or any of the other supplies that comes with a new cadets membership?  Maybe we can present the dues in a better light when we think about these things?  I know the arguement, "well what about the renewal dues"?  I don't have an answer for that just yet.

Good point, can't argue that.  I didn't think about the boy/girl scouts, I remember having to pay when I was a kid of course I never renewed either I didn't like it then (mind you this was back in the late 80s/early 90s).  I remember going to an air show and seeing all the sea cadets and that is what I wanted to do but my parents insisted I didn't or at least they convinced me I didn't want to during that era (now I know why) and I am sure they would have let me but I think it would have been too difficult for me at the time.

Anyway... so boyscout/girlscouts don't have renewing memberships? I know the boyscout/girlscouts get plenty of fundraising so I have no idea.  I like military than boyscout anyway.

DrDave

Can someone post a sample of what they used on VolunteerMatch?

Or would it be simpler to just access the site and search for "CAP" within it?

(Am not feeling very creative this weekend and could use the help!)

Thanks,
Dr. Dave
Lt. Col. (Dr.) David A. Miller
Director of Public Affairs
Missouri Wing
NCR-MO-098

"You'll feel a slight pressure ..."

Lancer

Except for our 'Mission Statement' the rest is 'Cut N Paste'. Since I put the listing up last fall, I had three total referral's so far, with two becoming cadets. So no arguments from me on it's effectiveness. Can't beat free either.

Here's what our listing looks like:

Mission Statement

The Boulle-Norman Memorial Cadet Squadron is one of three Civil Air Patrol squadrons in the Grand Rapids area, and the only cadet squadron. We have a long standing tradition of excellence in developing America's youth into tomorrow's leaders. At the same time, opportunities exist for adults to share their leadership skills and help foster excellence in its members.

See Below for what our program offers:

Aerospace Education

CAP maintains both internal and external aerospace education programs. CAP members, both adults and cadets; follow a rigorous program to learn about aviation and aerospace principles. CAP also reaches out to the general public through a special program for teachers at all grade levels. Through this program, CAP provides free classroom materials and lesson plans for aerospace education and each year sponsors the premier national conference in this field.

Cadet Programs

CAP's cadet program trains young men and women in teamwork, moral leadership, aerospace education, technical skills to support emergency services, and military history and customs. Through national encampments, a college and flight training scholarship program, and the International Air Cadet Exchange, CAP cadets broaden their horizons, learn to assume responsibility, feel self-confidence and set goals for their lives.

Operations

Best known for its members' work in search and rescue and disaster relief missions, CAP is expanding its role in the 21st century to include an increasing number of homeland security operations and exercises. CAP also performs counterdrug reconnaissance missions at the request of law enforcement agencies and can do radiological monitoring and damage assessment. CAP members undergo rigorous training to perform these missions safely and cost-effectively.

Description

The Civil Air Patrol, the official auxiliary of the U.S. Air Force, was founded on Dec. 1, 1941, less than a week before the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor brought the U.S. into World War II. CAP is a nonprofit organization with more than 55,000 members nationwide. The organization's members perform 95 percent of continental U.S. inland search and rescue missions, as tasked by the

Air Force's Rescue Coordination Center, and was credited by the AFRCC with saving 58 lives in 2006. Its volunteers also perform homeland security, disaster relief and counterdrug missions at the request of federal, state and local agencies. Members play a leading role in aerospace education and serve as mentors to the more than 22,000 young people currently participating in the CAP cadet program.

Skills

Cadets: Young people, age 12 - 17 are welcome to join at any time.

Senior Officers: 18 - ?? are able to join and help with any of our three missions. Since we are a cadet squadron, our primary focus is cadet based. While we welcome all who are interested in joining, it helps to have a background in education, aerospace and/or the military.

Adults interested in joining must undergo an FBI fingerprint screen and background check.

Hope this might help others.

Pylon

http://www.volunteermatch.org/results/org_detail.jsp?orgid=63061

^Our squadron's page and links to our active listings.  You'll notice some of the positions don't use typical CAP titles; they're explained in terms that non-CAP members would understand.  In other words, if I need somebody to help with supplies for the cadet program, I'm more likely to get an accurate referral and responses using "Youth program supplies coordinator" than I am with a vague and technical sounding "Assistant Logistics Officer".