Main Menu

Finding Old Records

Started by piperl4, February 02, 2008, 06:46:00 PM

piperl4

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to find Civil Air Patrol records from back in the 1975 range. I was with the MER Smyrna Delaware Squadron for 5 years as a Pilot and Mission Pilot and am trying to locate any documents relating to that time. I am mainly just trying to verify the time in the CAP. I have tried HQ and they distroy all records every 5 years they say. Somewhere some historian must preserve these records as I would think they would be important someday. Gladly take any suggestions. I have tried to contact the local, Wing, and Region but no help.

Thanks Guys
Capt Dave

mikeylikey

^ Old Checks.  Check with Banks you may have "banked" with.  If all else fails, find some old buddies and have them write a letter stating they knew you, and can vouch you were an active member.  NHQ should have records dating back to at least the time frame referenced. 

Good luck!
What's up monkeys?

PHall

You're out of luck. The reg says to retain the records for 5 years and if the member doesn't ask for them, to destroy them.
This is one of the things they inspect on the SUI so most units comply with the destroy after 5 years rule so they won't get gigged.

capmaj

Any awards earned during that time that came with a dated certificate?

Any articles printed in papers, etc, that might have you name in them?

RiverAux

You might be able to find mentions of any senior member program awards that you earned in very old issues of CAP News. 

drcomm

I contacted member services at national to ask if they had any records from my time as a cadet in the late 70's and early 80's.  They found my Mitchell Award and one of my Texas Wing encampments.  They were able to connect those records with my current records on e-services.
David Romere, Maj, CAP
Starbase Composite Squadron, SWR-OK-151
Oil Well 767
Mitchell Award #2536 (May 1981)
Amateur Radio Call Sign: KA5OWI