cap.af.mil it exists, we can build it, but into what?

Started by Tim Medeiros, January 25, 2008, 12:11:09 AM

pelican

Quote from: mikeylikey on January 25, 2008, 05:09:36 AM
Make it like the AF Portal.  Restrict it to members only.  Each wing and region could then make sub-communities inside.  Working groups could get together on the site, and huge piles of information can be available there.

I am not net-educated, can a "my" be placed in the address, or is something that can't be done?

Heck forget about the "my" and just turn it into a secure, member only gathering place.

ok, question. i am a graphic designer that also does some web development. it's kinda funny that this came up. i am in the process of designing a website (www.caplopedia.com) that i am going to try to turn into what mikeylikey was talking about. a huge pile of information. the web concept is that it will be user driven, meaning instead of relying on specified people to contribute information, registered members could author, edit, and/or publish said articles to the site. it also has the potential to be divided up by wing and possibly further. also, it can be expanded to be a networking site with forums, an auction for buying/selling CAP gear....the list kinda goes on and on. it's built off the CMS system Joomla so there's a huge amount of support out there. again, it's kinda funny that this was mentioned cause i just got the idea a couple of weeks ago. our wing (florida wing) is having its annual conference this friday, saturday, sunday so i am desperately trying to get content up in time so i can start getting the word out. let me know what you guys think of it as far as good/bad idea. btw, not trying to knock cadetstuff but it's sadly in need of upgrading.

BuckeyeDEJ

I would consider designing the www.cap.af.mil homepage to Air Force standards (notice that all the AF's major Web sites look like, down to the banner across the top and the type used for each unit?). Make THAT the public portal, and link off it when necessary to things that the .mil domain won't let CAP do (cap.gov or capnhq.gov).

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Nick

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on February 05, 2008, 01:18:53 AM
I would consider designing the www.cap.af.mil homepage to Air Force standards (notice that all the AF's major Web sites look like, down to the banner across the top and the type used for each unit?). Make THAT the public portal, and link off it when necessary to things that the .mil domain won't let CAP do (cap.gov or capnhq.gov).

While I would definitely be a supporter of that ... to do so would take away the "Civil Air Patrol corporate branding" and further advertise it as a subsidiary of the Air Force instead of its own corporate entity, which isn't the main party-line this decade.
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

BuckeyeDEJ

Sgt. McLarty, the CAP corporate branding probably would still work within that framework.

The CAP party line this past decade has probably done as much to drive a wedge with the Air Force as anything has, but I'm sure that with the major driving force gone, we'll see a better relationship. (Wouldn't it be great if we could go back to being the full-time auxiliary again?)

It could work -- and work well for us. And then cap.gov could maybe become a recruiting portal, not unlike airforce.com.

Just a thought....

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Tubacap

^That setup would be outstanding.  I don't like sending people to cap.gov now that are new.  It takes awhile to get used to.  Once you are familiar with where you need to go to get stuff, it isn't bad, but as a recruiting site, it leaves a lot to be desired.
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

SAR-EMT1

Question:
Someone once told me that there were some CAP.mil ( or was it .GOV?)email addresses still availible. Is  this true?

If so what it the procedure to getting one set up?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

PhoenixRisen

CAP.gov e-mail address exist.  From what I've seen, they're not for the "average joe in CAP", but just for those assigned to NHQ.  (Again, that's just what I've seen, I could be wrong.)