CAP ignored in AF history of Katrina operations

Started by RiverAux, January 20, 2008, 04:20:46 AM

RiverAux

This is a link to an AF historical study entitled The U.S. Air Force Response to Hurricane Katrina, published in 2006 by the AF Historical Research Agency http://www.maxwell.af.mil/au/afhra/short_studies/TheUSAFResponseToHurricaneKatrina.pdf

Don't we even rate a mention?  The study says the AF, evidently not including CAP, flew almost 4,100 fixed-wing sorties on Katrina-related missions.  Well, CAP flew almost 900.  Seems like this is a pretty significant part of the response. 

Just what are the CAP national historians doing to make sure the AF doesn't forget about us?  Do we at least send them copies of the Volunteer for their files on the off chance they might read them every now and again and use them? 

For heavens sake, they're part of the Air University, just like us. 

mikeylikey

They even downplayed the Coast Guard role.  Face it, they don't respect CAP enough to include us as part of the "total force".  That's OK.  I heard a rumor the DHS wants CAP real bad.
What's up monkeys?

SJFedor

Eh, I wouldnt get too worked up about it. It's really a paper on what USAF units played and what they did. It is kinda weak that we were left out though.

Quote from: mikeylikey on January 20, 2008, 04:30:25 AM
I heard a rumor the DHS wants CAP real bad.

That wouldn't be too bad. That's where the big funding is.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

JayT

Quote from: SJFedor on January 20, 2008, 05:35:38 AM
Eh, I wouldnt get too worked up about it. It's really a paper on what USAF units played and what they did. It is kinda weak that we were left out though.

I heard a rumor the DHS wants CAP real bad.

That wouldn't be too bad. That's where the big funding is.

Except.......ya know........there goes all of the guys who join for the military aspect........and..........those twenty thousand or so cadets we have around.........
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

ZigZag911

That's OK.  I heard a rumor the DHS wants CAP real bad.

The only thing worse, in my view, than an unappreciative bureaucracy, is an inexperienced unappreciative bureaucracy!

I'm not so sure DHS would be loads and loads of fun....

John Bryan

As for the DHS....I just got down reading a report on how the Federal Protective Service has been hurt by the move to DHS.  Seems most officers would like to return to the GSA. We all know how FEMA has suffered under DHS.

I for one would not want to see us go to DHS. In fact as a tax payer I question the need for a DHS. Secret Service was fine in the Dept of Treasury, USCG was fine in DOT, FPS was fine in GSA....I think it was a knee jerk reaction.

Anyway.....back to the issue if we were ever to leave the USAF the only other federal agency which would make a good parent for CAP would be the US DOT. Our education missions (AE & CP) are transportation focused and most of our ES is aviation focused. Outside DOD, DOT is one of the few federal departments that has had a history with a uniform service.

BUT.....I don't think it is that broke....so why fix it. There is no need to look for a new parent or step-parent.....USAF is the best fit.

As for why we were left out of the publication...we are not the AIR FORCE we are the CAP.....maybe we should write our own book  ;D

A.Member

Quote from: John Bryan on March 15, 2008, 03:08:13 PM
BUT.....I don't think it is that broke....so why fix it. There is no need to look for a new parent or step-parent.....USAF is the best fit.

As for why we were left out of the publication...we are not the AIR FORCE we are the CAP.....maybe we should write our own book  ;D
Agreed 100%!
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

isuhawkeye

since we are on the topic

fyi.  the coast guard aux was not only recognised by their parent entity, but a presidential unit citation was awarded

RiverAux

Well, actually the entire Coast Guard, including the Aux, was given this award.  It wasn't really a CG decision.  That being said, the CG never loses a chance to recognize its Auxiliary while the AF never takes advantage of one. 

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: RiverAux on March 15, 2008, 09:20:34 PM
Well, actually the entire Coast Guard, including the Aux, was given this award.  It wasn't really a CG decision.  That being said, the CG never loses a chance to recognize its Auxiliary while the AF never takes advantage of one. 

And that my fellows is why the two of us are dual hatters !
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

JohnKachenmeister

We hashed out this issue a while back, and I don't think we came to any co nsensus.  There are adavantages and disadvantages to placing CAP under DHS as sort of a "Flying Coast Guard," and I don't really know if we decided what outweighs which.
Another former CAP officer

afgeo4

Two thoughts:

1. USCG Auxiliary is a direct reporting unit to USCG. They are simply a part of it.
2. Although I can see why USAF wanted to write a book about what they did (they did do a good job) and I can see why they may not have included us into it (gives the reader a clearer picture of what USAF itself did) and I am all for CAP writing its own book, I must ask... where was CAP-USAF on this? Isn't that exactly what they're there for?
GEORGE LURYE

mikeylikey

Quote from: afgeo4 on March 23, 2008, 06:07:55 AM
I must ask... where was CAP-USAF on this? Isn't that exactly what they're there for?

That is a good question.  Actually......where the crap is CAP-USAF on a lot of things is a better question.  Or how long does an AF Colonel actually let his career die at CAP-USAF?

My favorite of course......CAP-USAF, whats that??
What's up monkeys?

afgeo4

Quote from: mikeylikey on March 23, 2008, 01:17:30 PM
Quote from: afgeo4 on March 23, 2008, 06:07:55 AM
I must ask... where was CAP-USAF on this? Isn't that exactly what they're there for?

That is a good question.  Actually......where the crap is CAP-USAF on a lot of things is a better question.  Or how long does an AF Colonel actually let his career die at CAP-USAF?

My favorite of course......CAP-USAF, whats that??
Hey... I don't support CAP-USAF bashing in general. I'm sure their HQ are working hard on the VSAF program and many others. I also know that their NYWG liaison works very hard on many programs here, so I don't want to go saying they do nothing. I'm just wondering where they stand on this particular mission. However, I'm sure that they don't have much pull to fight their own superiors on this.
GEORGE LURYE

RiverAux

To be fair to CAP-USAF, I would have been surprised if an AF historian had contacted them for info on CAP operations during Katrina and they blew him off.  More likely, the AF historians contacted the major "operational" commands and reviewed their records and since CAP (and CAP-USAF) is hidden within AETC, the historians probably never thought to solicit info from them and CAP-USAF was just as surprised as us at being ignored. 

CAP-USAF was also very involved in actual operations they were "hurt" just as much as CAP by this oversight. 

JohnKachenmeister

We SHOULD have developed our own historical statements in the same format as the USAF major commands, and simply submitted it for inclusion in the overall USAF report.

But... "Hindsight is always 20/20."
Another former CAP officer

RiverAux

An organization that doesn't even recommend writing after action reports, even on major missions, is not very likely to be well covered in the history books. 

QuoteWe SHOULD have developed our own historical statements in the same format as the USAF major commands, and simply submitted it for inclusion in the overall USAF report.
And this is pretty sad for an organization that does at least have a smattering of official unit historians around the country and supposedly has a national historian or two.  Maybe if we had developed a Katrina patch they would put it on display -- that should be enough, right?

afgeo4

Still not too late to make a Katrina anniversary patch.
GEORGE LURYE

flyguy06

They even downplayed the Coast Guard role.  Face it, they don't respect CAP enough to include us as part of the "total force".  That's OK.  I heard a rumor the DHS wants CAP real bad.

Yeah, If CAP went to the DHS, I would not renew

SAR-EMT1

Why the dislike for after action reports as an organization? I seem to recall part of SLS being dedicated to writing military documents and such...
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student