Main Menu

FLM

Started by stillamarine, January 17, 2008, 05:26:46 PM

SSgt Rudin

Quote from: RiverAux on January 22, 2008, 03:02:45 AM
Quite realistically, this is one of the least needed skillsets in CAP.  Our pilots rarely, if ever, have a marshaller guiding them when they are flying on their own or on CAP's dime.  They don't need people waving their hands at them in order to park the aircraft.  Perhaps this is a nice thing to do at Blue Beret or at a HUGE mission base, bit thats about it.  Sure, its kind of a neat things for the cadets to do, but if I've got spare people I'd rather use them on a ground team than having them sit around base most of the day doing something that isn't necessary.

As to working with helos, I don't have a problem with including it in the GT training, but as has been said, the pilots can do it on their own most of the time.   

RM Pilots "don't" need marshalers either yet you wont see a military aircraft parking it's self. Why? well fire sensors don't always work, CADs fail, and fire bottles don't always put out the fire.
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

RiverAux

If it is so critical to have them, then why doesnt' 60-1 require flight line marshallers whenever a CAP aircraft is doing something?  Why do we only do it at SAREXs?  It isn't a safety issue and I could argue that the risks of having relatively untrained adults/kids trying to guide moving aircraft around is probably higher than anything that they might mitigate by being present. 

stillamarine

Thank all for hi-jacking my thread.

Only wanted the resources not to debate it.

Mods, I humbly bow to you if you wouldn't mind locking this.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Pace

Interesting topic of debate.  If you want to continue it, give it a new thread with a title that is more fitting.

*Click*
Lt Col, CAP