CAP-Agency vs CAP-Club - the real issue in Iowa

Started by cyclone, January 13, 2008, 02:15:18 AM

Johnny Yuma

Just from viewing the photos...

No one looked very happy, The Region CC looks like Nero watching Rome burn and the only halfway bright face was Courter.

just MHO, of course...
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

RogueLeader

OK, Col Scheitzach was promoted, but in the pic, he was still wearing his silver oaks, just like Eric Snyder.  Congrats to him btw- he was a Maj last I saw him.  So what is going on?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: RogueLeader on January 30, 2008, 04:47:30 AM
OK, Col Scheitzach was promoted, but in the pic, he was still wearing his silver oaks, just like Eric Snyder.  Congrats to him btw- he was a Maj last I saw him.  So what is going on?

Col Scheitzach's promotion is tied to the Command.  Now that he is the Wing CC, he will have the Temporary Promotion for Colonel for 1 year, then the promotion becomes permanent after that.

However during his first year he is limited.  I don't know the full extent of the limitations, but I do know they exist for all new Wing CC's.

isuhawkeye

dont worry RL shortly after the flag changed over past commander Col. Sheila Waldorf, and his wife placed his birds on his shoulder.  I just couldn't get a good picture. 

Eclipse

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on January 30, 2008, 07:06:10 AM
Col Scheitzach's promotion is tied to the Command.  Now that he is the Wing CC, he will have the Temporary Promotion for Colonel for 1 year, then the promotion becomes permanent after that.

However during his first year he is limited.  I don't know the full extent of the limitations, but I do know they exist for all new Wing CC's.

Correct as far as the first year being "probationary", however as noted the Wing CC wears the eagles immediately.

There are no limitations I have ever heard of to a Wing CC's authority or power based on freshman-year status.

"That Others May Zoom"

TDHenderson

Quote from: Johnny Yuma on January 30, 2008, 03:28:08 AM
Just from viewing the photos...

No one looked very happy, The Region CC looks like Nero watching Rome burn and the only halfway bright face was Courter.

just MHO, of course...

You provided a very accurate observation.

FW

Quote from: Eclipse on January 30, 2008, 01:30:01 PM
Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on January 30, 2008, 07:06:10 AM

Correct as far as the first year being "probationary", however as noted the Wing CC wears the eagles immediately.

There are no limitations I have ever heard of to a Wing CC's authority or power based on freshman-year status.
During the probationary year, a wing commander can be relieved without cause.  The grade of Col. is temporary until successful completion of the assignment.

Eclipse

Quote from: FW on January 30, 2008, 02:45:49 PM
During the probationary year, a wing commander can be relieved without cause.

Yes, but that has nothing to do with limitations on authority.

"That Others May Zoom"

DrDave

Is there a link for this change of command photo?

Dr. Dave
Lt. Col. (Dr.) David A. Miller
Director of Public Affairs
Missouri Wing
NCR-MO-098

"You'll feel a slight pressure ..."

Eclipse

They were earlier in the post and have now been removed...

"That Others May Zoom"

DrDave

Lt. Col. (Dr.) David A. Miller
Director of Public Affairs
Missouri Wing
NCR-MO-098

"You'll feel a slight pressure ..."

cyclone

Quote from: RogueLeader on January 30, 2008, 04:47:30 AM

There you go RL, a photo with Scheitzach just for you.

From CAP News Online:

Col. Ronald Scheitzach is the Iowa Wing's new commander after succeding Col. Ralph Tomlinson, who held the post for the last four years. 

"I am honored that (North Central Region Commander) Col. (Sean) Fagan is giving me the opportunity to lead the Iowa Wing and be a part of this organization's great history," Scheitzach said.

"Col. Tomlinson leaves us with a terrific legacy and I am very grateful for his leadership and guidance." 

Said Tomlinson, "I have had the good fortune to work with some of the finest people in the Civil Air Patrol. This is an exciting time for the Iowa Wing.   

"I know that Col. Scheitzach will be an outstanding mentor and leader who will successfully guide the members of the Iowa Wing towards a successful future."   

Brig. Gen. Amy Courter, interim national commander, presided over the change-of-command ceremony at Camp Dodge in front of Iowa Wing members.   

"The Civil Air Patrol, and in particular the Iowa Wing, is fortunate to have leaders with the dedication, passion and integrity these gentlemen clearly demonstrate," Courter said.   

Scheitzach brings a wealth of experience to his new assignment. He has served as a squadron commander, wing personnel officer and wing vice commander.

The change of command ceremony was held in a mess hall on Camp Dodge.

ZigZag911

You know, in my admittedly limited experience (35 plus years) it is relatively rare for the national commander to preside personally over a wing change of command.....normally left to region CC, or even CV.

Interesting....

CadetProgramGuy

Personal opinion.

I believe tat she came down due to the huge mess that was made over everything.

Johnny Yuma

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on January 31, 2008, 04:50:38 AM
Personal opinion.

I believe tat she came down due to the huge mess that was made over everything.

That seems to be the conventional wisdom around here, too.
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

SamFranklin

Are you suggesting it is a scandal that Brig Gen Courter attended this event? I say it is a mark of good leadership. Obviously Iowa is going through a rough time. Thankfully, the National Commander knows that and made a personal appearance to show she cares about the future of that wing.

Eclipse

Quote from: magoo on February 01, 2008, 04:13:05 AM
Are you suggesting it is a scandal that Brig Gen Courter attended this event? I say it is a mark of good leadership. Obviously Iowa is going through a rough time. Thankfully, the National Commander knows that and made a personal appearance to show she cares about the future of that wing.

And endorses the choice...

"That Others May Zoom"

SamFranklin

^   Excellent. Wing commanders need to know the boss supports them. The general membership needs to know likewise. Think of the alternative:  "Yeah, that's our wing commander, but even the National Commander is against him."  Further evidence that Brig Gen Courter is a mature, responsible leader. Maybe that's hard to recognize here on CAP-Talk.

CASH172

^But I think what most of us here wanna know is if the Gen truly does support the new guy, or if the appearance was just an appearance. 

ZigZag911

Quote from: magoo on February 01, 2008, 04:13:05 AM
Are you suggesting it is a scandal that Brig Gen Courter attended this event?

No, I'm suggesting exactly what I said...that it is interesting that she chose to preside at this particular change of command.

Please don't put words in my mouth!