Wearing BOOTS with BLUES

Started by AlaskanCadet, December 21, 2007, 12:55:37 AM

RiverAux

Yep, I've lived in poor climates before, but that doesn't negate the fact that people that wear suits and ties for work in those climates generally are not wearing boots with their suits.  Therefore, it looks out of place to me to wear boots with CAP's suit and tie uniform.  To me the service dress uniform is not a "practical" uniform -- it is for indoor wear primarily and if comfort or practicality were a concern we wouldn't be wearing it anyway. 

AlaskanCadet

As an addition to this topic I would like to what is though of wearing, what I guess I would call
...."Chorophram" boots, they are really shiny factory made, with BDU's?
Is this possible, so that I do not have to shine them.
My dad was able to wear them in the AF with his BDU's
they are made by Bates.
C/TSgt Bryant

Alaska CAP Rules :)

AlaskanCadet

the type I am talking about is the

Bates Lites Mens High Gloss Side Zipper Paratrooper Boots # 44SA
go here for a pic

http://www.copshoes.com/p-B44SA.html

thanks
could not locate CAPM 39-1
C/TSgt Bryant

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

afgeo4

Yikes... those boots aren't authorized in the military anymore and any commander or 1st Sgt would hang you by your ba behind for wearing that. Besides, they'll wreak havoc on your feet in just about any weather since they don't breathe at all.

Regular boots are authorized. Back in the days (probably before you were born, C/SSgt) all low quarters were leather. There was none of this high gloss plastic stuff. All shoes and boots had to be shined to a high gloss, so it didn't matter which boots you chose to wear. Today, those all-leather oxfords are still worn in services and CAP, although most in the armed forces prefer to wear the synthetic.
GEORGE LURYE

AlaskanCadet

Quote from: NIN on December 27, 2007, 05:25:51 AM
Quote from: AlaskanCadet on December 27, 2007, 12:42:14 AM
thanks
could not locate CAPM 39-1

Yeah, that 39-1 is a toughie

what I meant to say was that I could not locate anything about the high gloss boots in CAPM 39-1, I am actually quite smart and have no issue finding any manuals or forms, I was just requesting the consensus of this forum on the issue :)
C/TSgt Bryant

floridacyclist

Personally, I think that the plastic shoes and boots look fake and cheesy, like you are too lazy to shine your shoes. On the other hand, a well-shined pair of leather shoes or boots will stand out and show the efforts of your work and motivation.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

stillamarine

Quote from: afgeo4 on December 27, 2007, 07:31:24 AM
Yikes... those boots aren't authorized in the military anymore and any commander or 1st Sgt would hang you by your ba behind for wearing that. Besides, they'll wreak havoc on your feet in just about any weather since they don't breathe at all.

Regular boots are authorized. Back in the days (probably before you were born, C/SSgt) all low quarters were leather. There was none of this high gloss plastic stuff. All shoes and boots had to be shined to a high gloss, so it didn't matter which boots you chose to wear. Today, those all-leather oxfords are still worn in services and CAP, although most in the armed forces prefer to wear the synthetic.

I actually wear those boots at work anytime I don't have to trump through mud and I have to wear a uniform. Our company requires our Officers in uniform to wear coraframs. I prefer wearing boots when I am in uniform so I bought some of those. I've heard all the stories about not beaing able to breath and burning my feet up etc and etc. But in truth I have had no more issue wearing those then wearing anyother type of boot (except for that one pair of super duper tac boots my ex bought me and the dog got ahold of :( ). I personally don't see anything wrong with them for "garrison" work. Out of curiousity is there a reg cite on the fact that they aren't authorized? Just wondering.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

afgeo4

Quote from: stillamarine on December 27, 2007, 05:08:28 PM

I actually wear those boots at work anytime I don't have to trump through mud and I have to wear a uniform. Our company requires our Officers in uniform to wear coraframs. I prefer wearing boots when I am in uniform so I bought some of those. I've heard all the stories about not beaing able to breath and burning my feet up etc and etc. But in truth I have had no more issue wearing those then wearing anyother type of boot (except for that one pair of super duper tac boots my ex bought me and the dog got ahold of :( ). I personally don't see anything wrong with them for "garrison" work. Out of curiousity is there a reg cite on the fact that they aren't authorized? Just wondering.

In the military? Yup. It's an issue of Milspecs. The regs authorize wear of milspec items only and non-leather/hide boots aren't milspec. They may look like military spec boots, but they aren't. That's why they aren't issued or sold in MCSS. That's why you won't find military personnel wearing them, even for Honor Guard or parade duties. They simply aren't authorized.

Also, you will be strongly advised not to wear zip up boots since zippers fail in muddy environments and you will lose your boots.

Also... my feet burn in standing in the sun in coraframs low quarters, so I don't know how yours do not.
GEORGE LURYE

stillamarine

Quote from: afgeo4 on December 27, 2007, 06:49:01 PM
Quote from: stillamarine on December 27, 2007, 05:08:28 PM

In the military? Yup. It's an issue of Milspecs. The regs authorize wear of milspec items only and non-leather/hide boots aren't milspec. They may look like military spec boots, but they aren't. That's why they aren't issued or sold in MCSS. That's why you won't find military personnel wearing them, even for Honor Guard or parade duties. They simply aren't authorized.

Also, you will be strongly advised not to wear zip up boots since zippers fail in muddy environments and you will lose your boots.

Also... my feet burn in standing in the sun in coraframs low quarters, so I don't know how yours do not.

I don't wear zippers either. I personally don't like them period.

Also, never said my feet didn't burn up in them, just no more or less than any other pair of black boot that I have worn or owned.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Hawk200

Quote from: RiverAux on December 26, 2007, 10:19:05 PM
Yep, I've lived in poor climates before, but that doesn't negate the fact that people that wear suits and ties for work in those climates generally are not wearing boots with their suits. 

Saw it in Alaska on occasion. Most people wear the boots til they get to the office, change to shoes once inside.

When traveling in the winter, boots seemed to be the standard. A lot of people had a few different pairs of dressier shoes stashed at the office, in the car, and any other places they had to be.

Major Carrales

Galoshes and other overshoes are what I have seen used.  However, they are rare in South Texas.

I should think the wear of boots with Blues is more a military tradition based on a one time practical need.  It is these exceptions to the general rules that some segments in a military structure take for individuality.  Thus, the regulation says it can be done (in the "spirit" of some exception) but it is done rather by the "letter" of the reg for a fashion or esprit d'corps purpose.

Let' be honest, this applies to several items ranging from boots with blues to my beloved service cap.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

floridacyclist

Not sure where in the regs it says you cannot wear patent leather combat boots. I think they look silly, but gate guards wore them for years and AFI2903 speficies patent leather as an allowable material for both shoes and combat boots.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

lordmonar

Quote from: afgeo4 on December 27, 2007, 06:49:01 PM

Sorry but they are sold at MCSS and they are authorized for wear and you WILL find that some honor guard teams do wear them.  Cochran makes a very nice Corfram jump boot.  Not that I suggest anyone buy them...but let's not start any new myths.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Hawk200

Quote from: lordmonar on December 28, 2007, 01:14:32 AM
.... they are authorized for wear and you WILL find that some honor guard teams do wear them.  Cochran makes a very nice Corfram jump boot. 

I remember one of my TI's in Basic wearing a set on our graduation day. They looked uncomfortable, and I always wondered how he could wear them. But he only wore them on that grad day, never saw them any other time.