Billy Mitchell Heritage Uniform.

Started by RogueLeader, December 15, 2007, 09:17:07 PM

RogueLeader

I have been told that the USAF will be going to the Billy Mitchell Heritage Uniform.

What do you think of it?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Flying Pig

The high collar.......Huh?  I know the Army used to wear them back in the day, but only the Marines have a historical background for the high collar.

Oh, and by the way, if your going to wear the belt, try tailoring the uniform first.  Im going to have to give a thumbs down on this.  Im all for the old Air Force jacket.

mikeylikey

It looks stupid!  Loose the belt, or at least make it black.  Heck change the freaking color of the uniform to brown if your are "trying to go back to heritage".  Also change the sleeve braid to black.  It would stand out more that way.  Also, don't wear full size awards.  Come on?!?!  Also return the Officer Branch insignia to the jacket (USAAF branch insignia).  Finally get the Officer pant leg stripe back.  If this truly is a heritage uniform, then freaking take the uniform of that time period and adopt it back.    

The uniform is an Army uniform, so it should be called one.  Many more people wore it than just Gen Mitchell.    

Finally, in closing the Army is going back to wearing the Army Dress Blue Uniform full time.  Blue is the Army's, AF.......get your own.

What's up monkeys?

NIN

These photos are at least 2 years old, and represent some "test wear" at HQAF.

IOW, this is NOT the final form or configuration that the AF is considering for its uniforms.

IIRC, the "Hap Arnold" Heritage uniform was the preferred selection. I could be mistaken.

But before all y'all get wrapped around an axle or two about this uniform, breathe. Out with the bad air, in with the good...

This, too, shall pass.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

LtCol White

Quote from: RogueLeader on December 15, 2007, 09:17:07 PM
I have been told that the USAF will be going to the Billy Mitchell Heritage Uniform.

What do you think of it?

The Hap Arnold is the choice and is being wear tested with planned wear in 2009. This is to POSSIBLY be a ceremonial and honor guard uniform.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

PHall

Quote from: RogueLeader on December 15, 2007, 09:17:07 PM

What do you think of it?

You were told wrong. That uniform was a test uniform that didn't make it.

A modified version of the WWII style Hap Arnold uniform was the one that was selected.
The wear tests have just started and they plan to field it in 2009.

Source:AF Link

NewWaveKiller

For those of you who have not yet seen it, the one on the right is the Hap Arnold heritage coat:

Pennsylvania Wing
Group 6
Squadron 123
C/SSgt Rapone

RiverAux

Jeez, is that collar wide enough?  Looks like you can't even have more than 1 full row of ribbons be visible

Major Carrales

Quote from: RiverAux on December 16, 2007, 04:21:07 AM
Jeez, is that collar wide enough?  Looks like you can't even have more than 1 full row of ribbons be visible

That, my dear Sir, is a 1930s style cut.  My grandpa has a suit for that era with that sort of lapel.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

RiverAux

Can we start wearing those irregular ribbon bars to get around them?

Personally, I'm not a fan of having "pockets" that can't be used, which I assume would be the case with the upper pockets on this one. 

BuckeyeDEJ

Yeah, the chokers aren't something the Army's worn since World War I, really. The Navy and Marine Corps still wear them. But the Air Force?

The pockets on the "Hap Arnold" would be functional, just as they were on the old blues.

After Gen. Tony McPeak changed the blues in 1993, there was constant complaining that it didn't look "military" enough. Heck, it looks like an Air Force uniform to me, not a blue Army uni. This is backlash to the McPeak blues, but I'll bet you after wear tests, it won't look this retro -- probably more like the last pre-1993 uniform.

As modern as the Air Force's marketing wants to make the AF look, they want to go retro and complicate the blues again? I thought, personally, that the current uniform was the best interpretation yet of what the uniform philosophy is, though McPeak's idea of "less things to pin on" didn't take (maybe for good reason, given the idea of sleeve-braid officer rank).

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

RiverAux

It would be nice to have a pocket to line your nameplate up against....

ddelaney103

NIN

Quote from: Major Carrales on December 16, 2007, 04:29:39 AM
That, my dear Sir, is a 1930s style cut.  My grandpa has a suit for that era with that sort of lapel.

Did he have a hat to go with it?
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Major Carrales

Quote from: NIN on December 16, 2007, 06:37:30 AM

No, but I do wear a fedora as part of my daily wardrobe.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

RiverAux

You know, that belt seems likely to accentuate the waist of some of our folks. 

RogueLeader

Quote from: RiverAux on December 16, 2007, 02:32:30 PM
You know, that belt seems likely to accentuate the waist of some of our folks. 

Or the lack of one. . .  ;)

Quote from: Major Carrales on December 16, 2007, 07:29:16 AM
Quote from: NIN on December 16, 2007, 06:37:30 AM

No, but I do wear a fedora as part of my daily wardrobe.

Could you imagine an AF Blue shade 1625 Fedora with CAP insignia on it?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

ZigZag911

The belt looks ridiculous, not to mention completely without function.

Otherwise, generally OK.

RiverAux

According to the web site it looks like you will be allowed to stagger your ribbon placement to avoid the collar.

Grumpy

The last I heard, they were talking about doing away with the belt.  The gals were complaining that with the new uniform, they'd have to change the tie to the tab every time they took the coat off.