Blue vs. Grey (BDU's)

Started by ddelaney103, December 14, 2007, 02:04:53 PM

I still don't get why people are so caught up on us getting the ABU any time soon.  I mean have we heard that we'll get it soon?  If we did I'd be surprised as they don't have them out to everyone in the Air Force yet.  I think it's going to be another 5 years or so till we see any movement from the AF on us being able to get the ABU.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

ddelaney103

Quote from: NERMA002 Safety on December 17, 2007, 05:20:37 PM
I still don't get why people are so caught up on us getting the ABU any time soon.  I mean have we heard that we'll get it soon?  If we did I'd be surprised as they don't have them out to everyone in the Air Force yet.  I think it's going to be another 5 years or so till we see any movement from the AF on us being able to get the ABU.

You're right - it will be years.

However, that's no reason not to plan for the changeover and also make the future CAP uniform mesh well with the future AF uniform.

jeders

If you read the uniform committee thread, you'll see that they (the uniform committee) wants us to transition to the ABU sooner rather than later. Even if we don't get into it right away, they want to prepare for it.

Failure to plan is planning for failure
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Quote from: jeders on December 17, 2007, 05:28:55 PM

If you read the uniform committee thread, you'll see that they (the uniform committee) wants us to transition to the ABU sooner rather than later. Even if we don't get into it right away, they want to prepare for it.

Failure to plan is planning for failure

Yes I have read that thread.  But also for the ABU it's up to the Air Force so why waste time making plans that we don't need yet while we can fix what must be fixed with what we already have.  I mean streamline all the Senior distinctives maybe get rid of one of them

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

Dragoon

Actually, it's pretty common to make plans before things get made official. If you wait until all the ducks are in a row, you're already late.

What we wouldn't want to do is take any ACTION until things are set up.  That would be stupid.  But having an OPLAN ready to turn into an OPORD when the time is right is just good strategic thinking.

But wouldn't it be cool if, for once, CAP was ready with a plan 5 years early?  Instead of jumping through our buts to field some new uniform thing in a year?

Quote from: Dragoon on December 17, 2007, 06:48:07 PM
Actually, it's pretty common to make plans before things get made official. If you wait until all the ducks are in a row, you're already late.

What we wouldn't want to do is take any ACTION until things are set up.  That would be stupid.  But having an OPLAN ready to turn into an OPORD when the time is right is just good strategic thinking.

But wouldn't it be cool if, for once, CAP was ready with a plan 5 years early?  Instead of jumping through our buts to field some new uniform thing in a year?

Ok, I see that point.  But what about for the more immeadiate worry about what is rather than what will or could be. 

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

Falshrmjgr

Have to say that I'd rather see us in OD than Gray.  Gray screams Law Enforcement.  OD has a similar visual value, but is, IMHO, more miltary.
Jaeger

"Some say there are only wolves, sheep, and sheepdogs in the world.  They forget the feral sheep."

ddelaney103

Quote from: Falshrmjgr on December 17, 2007, 08:22:31 PM
Have to say that I'd rather see us in OD than Gray.  Gray screams Law Enforcement.  OD has a similar visual value, but is, IMHO, more miltary.

But there's very little OD in ABU's - it's more in the sage/sand/slate range.

Dragoon

I'd agree with that.  OD blends much better with the BDUs, but I think grey would blend better with the ABUs.  But either would make things a bit more "uniform" than what we have now (although personally, I really like the blue utility uniform - pretty snazzy and the chicks dig it).   ;D  Uniformity is more important.