Main Menu

Resoling boots

Started by JCW0312, December 09, 2007, 04:55:26 PM

JCW0312

Has anyone ever had their boots resoled? Is it worth it? If so, do you recommend anyone?
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
Memphis Belle Memorial Squadron
SER-TN-144

PhotogPilot

What would it cost to replace the boots?

Even after they're re-treaded, would they  still be serviceable for you, appearance wise?

What would the cost to resole be?

These are the factors I would consider.  I just picked up a pair of Red Wing work boots from a factory overhaul, it cost about $65.00+tax. Replacement cost would have been $179.00+tax, so for me, it was worth it, and they did a great job. Better manufacturers, including Rew Wing and Danner, have factory overhaul programs. Also, any competent shoe repair shop should be able to do it, however, in today's Bic Lighter disposable world, shoe repair shops are hard to find.

JCW0312

^ Well, I have a pair of Rocky Paratrooper boots that I have worn for years and I love. I recently bought a second pair, but I don't really want to go through the "break in phase". I was tossing around the idea of having the old pair resoled and wearing the new ones while I wait on the old ones to come back. I can get a new pair of those boots for about $110 and I think resoling would run somewhere between $55 and $75. The boots are very well made and have been well maintained, so resoling wouldn't be out of the question.
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

JCW0312

And by break in phase, I don't mean just softening the leather up a bit - I mean the weeks/months of wear to "mold" them to my feet. :)
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

IceNine

Sounds to me that you want to resole your boots for sentimental value rather than monetary.

If you think you can get another 7 years out of your boots, and have them still be servicable I'd say go for it.

Just make sure that you factor in the amount of time left in the boots along with the time a new pair will be useful for...

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

JCW0312

^ Good point. I think it would probably be six one way and half-a-dozen the other. There's less life in my old boots, but resoling is cheaper.
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

shorning

I've resoled one pair of boots twice and it was worth it.  I've had them for 16 years and they've been through quite a bit.  I think they are pretty much "dead" now, but I have several other pairs that I need to wear out too.

NIN

I had a pair of Corcoran jump boots I bought in 1986 while I was in AIT.  Super boots. Like slippers they fit so well.

I had them resoled at least once.  Then the leather gave out about 2000. I cried.  Those boots were so good to me.

I was given a pair of cheap chinese knockoff jump boots by a friend. Some friend. those boots sucked.

In 2002, I bought a pair of Rocky insulated boots for Winter Hawk from the Sportsman's Guide for about $65.  I proceeded to walk thru the soles in about 3 years.  Took 'em to the boot shop where they promptly resoled them for $45.  So I have a super pair of winter boots that still only cost me $110 over 5 years.

This year I snarfed a set of H&H jump boots on Ebay for $60.  The leather is soft and supple like the Corcorans were and I take good care of them.  If I walk thru the soles, and the leather is still solid, they'll get a new set of soles on them.

If the leather is still good, and the boots are made to be resoled, my recommendation is to get them redone.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

star1151

I don't own boots, but I have dress shoes resoled fairly often.  It's cheaper, and I'm picky about the shoes I buy, and hate breaking a new pair in.  I'd imagine it's more than worth it to have boots resoled instead of breaking a new pair in.

mikeylikey

Quote from: NIN on December 09, 2007, 05:46:14 PM
I had a pair of Corcoran jump boots I bought in 1986 while I was in AIT.  Super boots. Like slippers they fit so well.

I had them resoled at least once.  Then the leather gave out about 2000. I cried.  Those boots were so good to me.

Same here.  They are one of the best boots I have ever owned.  They went to Korea with me, and have been to more places on this planet than anyone could dream. 

They now sit in the back of the closest as I get to wear tan for (most likely) the rest of the time I am in the Army. 

However, my tans are made by Corcoran, same style and everything. They just don't feel right though. 
What's up monkeys?

JCW0312

OK, the next question - Does anyone recommend anybody to do the work? I have seen a few places online that you can send them your boots to be resoled. I assume most folks just get it done locally ???
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

star1151

Any shoe repair shop can do it.

JCW0312

Quote from: star1151 on December 09, 2007, 08:54:39 PM

I know any shoe shop can do it, I was just wondering if there was any shop that someone recommends because of quality and/or price.
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

star1151

Quote from: JCW0312 on December 09, 2007, 11:33:23 PM

I know any shoe shop can do it, I was just wondering if there was any shop that someone recommends because of quality and/or price.

You'd actually ship them somewhere on someone's recommendation?  You've had better experiences with UPS than I have...

IceNine

Let me get the address,

My squadron commander's cousin is an award winning cobbler.  Apparently there is an iron man type competition for shoe repair and he has taken the award several times.  And he gives really good deals to CAP members.

I'll let you know tomorrow, I know that he is in Florida somewhere

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

JCW0312

Quote from: IceNine on December 09, 2007, 11:53:55 PM
Let me get the address,

My squadron commander's cousin is an award winning cobbler.  Apparently there is an iron man type competition for shoe repair and he has taken the award several times.  And he gives really good deals to CAP members.

I'll let you know tomorrow, I know that he is in Florida somewhere

I'd appreciate that (and an email address or phone number if possible).

Quote from: star1151 on December 09, 2007, 11:44:06 PM
Quote from: JCW0312 on December 09, 2007, 11:33:23 PM

You'd actually ship them somewhere on someone's recommendation?  You've had better experiences with UPS than I have...

I rarely use UPS. I have had good shipping experiences with other carriers though (a rare thing).
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

IceNine

I went one state too far south... he's in Georgia

http://www.villageshoeservice.com/

He supports UPS/FedEx, and as his website shows he is VERY good at what he does.  b

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

afgeo4

Resoling is a good option. Especially when you can get a comfortable, high tech sole on them.

Wellco does a good job at that. Their Tuffkushion soles are sneaker soft, but combat boot tough. And they boast all their boots to be resoleable. You can find combat and jungle boots with tuffkushions too... pretty cheap. The ICBs run about $90 for hot weather and $130 for cold weather/goretex.
GEORGE LURYE

O-Rex

Wherever you go, get VIBRAM soles.

afgeo4

Quote from: O-Rex on December 11, 2007, 05:51:49 AM
Wherever you go, get VIBRAM soles.
I have the Vibram Belleville ICBs and although they're very stable, I'd only rate them a "medium" on the cushioning level. They're good boots, but I like the Tuffkushion better personally.
GEORGE LURYE