Another Ribbon Question

Started by JCW0312, December 06, 2007, 03:10:24 AM

JCW0312

Quote from: jimmydeanno on December 07, 2007, 04:12:03 PM
If you are looking for replacement copies, just call member services at NHQ.  Tell them your name and the aproximate date you earned the award.  They will send you one in the mail if they can find it.

Does this apply to awards or achievements? Or both?
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
Memphis Belle Memorial Squadron
SER-TN-144

jimmydeanno

National currently only tracks cadet milestone awards (for cadets).  So if you earned either the Mitchell, Earhart, Eaker or Spaatz between now and whenever they first published CAP News, you can get a replacement.

If you are looking to replace your Certificate of Proficiency (senior), Loening, Garber, Wilson, same deal applies.

If you are looking to get replacements of SLS certificates, I don't think you'll have that much luck unless they happen to have the CAPF 11 still on file or its already shown in CAPWATCH.

Never hurts to call though, after all, that is what they are there for (plus some other stuff  ;D )
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

baronet68

Quote from: SJFedor on December 07, 2007, 07:29:01 AM
Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on December 07, 2007, 04:00:06 AM
Be careful, and ALWAYS check the DD-214.  There is no such thing as a "Classified" DD-214, and when a so-called war hero can't produce it, he is probably a liar.

People don't get awards for highly classified operations. They get a pat on the back and a "good job, you can't tell anyone about it". 

I know one Special Forces guy, Vietnam era, who received a Silver Star for a 'classified/black-ops' mission.  Normally, the citation on any military award for valor usually says something like:

"On 32 Septober 1902, Jones was very brave, did cool stuff, killed lots of bad guys, saved countless lives, suffered great injury unto himself, and is a credit to the United States..."

This guy's Silver Star citation (which I've seen and the award is listed on his DD214) reads:

For Action - 6 Jun 69

Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

Cecil DP

Quote from: baronet68 on December 07, 2007, 08:43:42 PM
Quote from: SJFedor on December 07, 2007, 07:29:01 AM
Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on December 07, 2007, 04:00:06 AM
Be careful, and ALWAYS check the DD-214.  There is no such thing as a "Classified" DD-214, and when a so-called war hero can't produce it, he is probably a liar.

People don't get awards for highly classified operations. They get a pat on the back and a "good job, you can't tell anyone about it". 

I know one Special Forces guy, Vietnam era, who received a Silver Star for a 'classified/black-ops' mission.  Normally, the citation on any military award for valor usually says something like:

"On 32 Septober 1902, Jones was very brave, did cool stuff, killed lots of bad guys, saved countless lives, suffered great injury unto himself, and is a credit to the United States..."

This guy's Silver Star citation (which I've seen and the award is listed on his DD214) reads:

For Action - 6 Jun 69

I've even seen an award posted in the Navy Times which said; "Capt So and So awarded DSM. Citaition classified. "
The point is that while a person can receive an award for a classified operation. It will still show up on the DD 214 or 215. Neither of which is a classified document
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

JCW0312

^You'll have to excuse my ignorance - I was never Real MilitaryTM - What's a DD-215? I know what a DD-214 is, but I've never heard of a DD-215.
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

AC

DD Form 215,  Correction to Form DD 214.

AC

Terence Maroste      "We're Paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're
Maj, CAP                   supposed to be surrounded."
AEO
SWR-TX-293                  -Captain Richard Winters

Stonewall

I've got a DD 215 cuz my DD 214 from when I was activated for Bosnia basically said I never left Hungary.  So I had to request a 215 to fix it. 

Now, I've got 2 DD 214s, a 215, 2 NGB 22s (Nat'l Guard's version of a 214) and an AF Reserve "letter of service".  Guess the AF RES don't have 214 or version of.  When I applied for federal service, they were like "couldn't make up your mind or what".
Serving since 1987.

RiverAux

Quoteif someone tells you their records were destroyed in the fire, the fire was limited to the Air Force section and mainly Korean War era documents.
Very untrue. See http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel/fire-1973.html
An estimated 80% of Army soldiers discharged from 1912-1960 had their records lost and an estimated 75% of Air Force personnel discharged from 1947-1964 had their records lost in the 1973 fire at the St. Louis records center.
My grandfather (an WWII Army Captain) was one of them. 

Tim Medeiros

Quote from: RiverAux on December 08, 2007, 01:59:15 PM
Quoteif someone tells you their records were destroyed in the fire, the fire was limited to the Air Force section and mainly Korean War era documents.
Very untrue. See http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel/fire-1973.html
An estimated 80% of Army soldiers discharged from 1912-1960 had their records lost and an estimated 75% of Air Force personnel discharged from 1947-1964 had their records lost in the 1973 fire at the St. Louis records center.
My grandfather (an WWII Army Captain) was one of them. 
My dads were lost, he was AF around vietnam
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

JCW0312

Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

AC

Getting back to CAP ribbons....in 1957-1958 I was a cadet. I was a cadet Capt., and cadet squadron commander. I had red, white, and blue ribbons and a certificate of proficiency. I think that means I completed phase 6 of the program then. I am trying to assertain what equivalent award/achievement I would be entitled to in today's cadet program. From what I am reading in this thread I can wear the highest award I earned. I do have documentation, in the form of a newspaper article, that shows me as cadet captain and cadet squadron commander. Goes back to the original reason for this thread!

AC

AEO

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: AC on December 08, 2007, 06:30:56 PM
Getting back to CAP ribbons....in 1957-1958 I was a cadet. I was a cadet Capt., and cadet squadron commander. I had red, white, and blue ribbons and a certificate of proficiency. I think that means I completed phase 6 of the program then. I am trying to assertain what equivalent award/achievement I would be entitled to in today's cadet program. From what I am reading in this thread I can wear the highest award I earned. I do have documentation, in the form of a newspaper article, that shows me as cadet captain and cadet squadron commander. Goes back to the original reason for this thread!

I don't know if there's been a policy established from NHQ CAP, but you can still wear the original Cadet COP ribbon with bronze clasps. The COP ribbon with two bronze clasps is the equivalent of the Eaker/Spaatz; with one clasp equivalent to the Earhart, and plain equivalent to the Mitchell. I'm not sure if the Cadet COP ribbon is in stock at Vanguard.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

BillB

The cadet COP ribbon is available from The Hock last time I ordered one. And there was a period where a third clasp could be added with the completion of level 9. The Cadet COP ribbon is authorized and was supposed to have been included in the latest 39-1 (I haven't looked to see if it's there) according to MS Parker.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

AC

Thanks guys. I was told over on another forum, CAP Today, that the Earhart Award is equivalent to cadet captain. I can prove that I was a cadet captain and squadron commander, but I can't prove I had the COP, just remember that I had it. So I guess I can ask to wear the Earhart.

AC

AEO

jimmydeanno

I wouldn't wear the Earhart if it wasn't even an award when you were a C/Capt.  That's almost like a cadet who didn't earn the Feik or Armstrong putting it on because they earned the Mitchell but were unable to earn them.  They may be equivalent, but they represent different criteria.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

MIKE

Eakers could be retroactively awarded though IIRC, not sure if the offer still stands.
Mike Johnston

Cecil DP

You should wear the CofP ribbon. 
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

AC

Quote from: Cecil DP on December 08, 2007, 11:59:56 PM
You should wear the CofP ribbon. 
Well...when I get together with my commander, he has the word on it anyway, I'll just go with his recommendation!

AC

AEO