Common Uniform Infractions?

Started by Snake Doctor, November 29, 2007, 07:55:51 PM

Stonewall

There are two options:

1.  Bring the problem to light, even if it hurts someone's feelings, so others who see this will think twice before making the same mistake.  Thus fixing the problem before it occurs.

2.  Ignore it and it will go away.

While #2 would be awesome if it worked, it won't work.
Serving since 1987.

JCW0312

Quote from: jimmydeanno on November 30, 2007, 01:08:45 PM
Quote from: JCW0312 on November 30, 2007, 05:58:35 AM
Quote from: Major Lord on November 30, 2007, 04:54:35 AM
6) State Military reserve, salvation Army, or ACA uniforms worn to CAP activities.

ACA? What's that?

American Cadet Alliance: www.militarycadets.org
QuoteFounded in 1909, the ACA holds the distinction of being the oldest and longest-serving Cadet organization in the United States.  Veterans of the Corps of Cadets include senior military officers, public officials and business leaders.  All members of the American Cadet Alliance, past and present, have the common bond of pride in their country and a strong belief in its founding principles

Ahh. Thanks.
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
Memphis Belle Memorial Squadron
SER-TN-144

Ned

6) State Military reserve, salvation Army, or ACA uniforms worn to CAP activities.

May I assume that you are referring to "dual-status" CAP members who choose to wear one of their other uniforms while doing their CAP duties?

Cuz if I am using a Salvation Army member as visiting clergy for my ML program, I'm not sure I would be comfortable telling them not to wear their uniform.

7) Queer eye for the straight guy-inspired multi-color squadron caps.

Hmmmm.  We currently give commanders discretion in this area.  Is there some reason that  we should further restrict a commander's discretion if she/he feels that colored BB-style hats are necessary?

I'd hate to second-guess a commander simply because I disagree with her/his discretionary choices.

it's a hard enough job as it is.

Eclipse

Quote from: Ned on November 30, 2007, 07:20:39 PM

May I assume that you are referring to "dual-status" CAP members who choose to wear one of their other uniforms while doing their CAP duties?

Cuz if I am using a Salvation Army member as visiting clergy for my ML program, I'm not sure I would be comfortable telling them not to wear their uniform.

I would be and do.

The line must be drawn - if this is a situation where, as you said, on the odd occasion a member participates in an activity and is specifically representing a different organization (i.e. RealMiliatary®, Police, ARC, whatever), that's fine, but their participation would be limited to that specified activity until they change.

On the other hand, if we're talking about a member who insists on wearing some other services uniform out of a misguided idea that it is "cooler", etc., no.  Please change.

"That Others May Zoom"

Lt Col T

Reply to Eclipse: I downloaded the file but Powerpoint says that it cannot open "a file of this type," even though it has the .ppt extension. Any ideas?
John R. Tucciarone, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
Group VI, Georgia Wing
"Curahee"

Eclipse

Goin' PM on this.

BTW - I have the password now if anyone wants to use ours as a basis for theirs, just PM me...

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Quote from: jkalemis on November 30, 2007, 03:02:59 PM
I was recently at a large USAF convention.  Hundreds, perhaps thousands, of USAF officers and enlisted blokes were there.  Probably every USAF General that was stateside.  There were about 5-6 CAP members, all in dress blues. 

One looked like they slept in their uniform.

One was clearly overweight for wearing the uniform.

One was wearing their nametag on the wrong side.

Thus, I will always be a proponent for CAP dumping USAF-style uniforms...

Having worn that uniform for ten years active duty and in CAP for nine, I have some issues with your proposal of "dumping" Air Force uniforms.

Eliminating a uniform because of the few bad apples that get caught wearing it with when they shouldn't isn't punishing the person violating the regs, it's punishing those that make a point of meeting the standards to wear it.

EDIT:  personal attacks snipped out.  Knock it off.  TA

Major Lord

Quote from: Ned on November 30, 2007, 07:20:39 PM

You may so assume.

As would I. My concern is with CAP members who wear any other uniform BUT a CAP uniform to meetings.

7) Queer eye for the straight guy-inspired multi-color squadron caps.

Hmmmm.  We currently give commanders discretion in this area.  Is there some reason that  we should further restrict a commander's discretion if she/he feels that colored BB-style hats are necessary?

I'd hate to second-guess a commander simply because I disagree with her/his discretionary choices.

Presumably a commander authorized the female Major shown in the above photos to wear a beret. ( She is also, to put it charitably, a little out of height/weight regs, but the only way to know for sure is to saw them in half and count their rings....wait...that's trees....never mind)  I have no problem with a simple, single colored BB cap. I have seen multiple color caps that are about as appropriate as a Wisconsin cheese-head hat for wear with the uniform. I think we should look to the Air Force for guidance in the selection of caps. I have no agenda to restrict the discretion of Squadron Commanders. ( My 21 year old son is my Squadron Commander, so I may have some bias in this regard)
it's a hard enough job as it is.

Indeed!
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Hawk200

Quote from: Hawk200 on December 01, 2007, 02:12:22 AM
I was recently at a large USAF convention.  Hundreds, perhaps thousands, of USAF officers and enlisted blokes were there.  Probably every USAF General that was stateside.  There were about 5-6 CAP members, all in dress blues. 

Having worn that uniform for ten years active duty and in CAP for nine, I have some issues with your proposal of "dumping" Air Force uniforms.

Eliminating a uniform because of the few bad apples that get caught wearing it with when they shouldn't isn't punishing the person violating the regs, it's punishing those that make a point of meeting the standards to wear it.

EDIT:  personal attacks snipped out.  Knock it off.  TA

Then I'll put it another way. Correct those that violate pubs. Don't propose throwing out uniforms, policies or practices because people are violating them. That's throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

RogueLeader

Quote from: Hawk200 on December 01, 2007, 10:18:37 PM

Then I'll put it another way. Correct those that violate pubs. Don't propose throwing out uniforms, policies or practices because people are violating them. That's throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

No, that is throwing out the baby, but keeping the bathwater.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Hawk200

Quote from: RogueLeader on December 02, 2007, 02:34:42 AM
Quote from: Hawk200 on December 01, 2007, 10:18:37 PM

No, that is throwing out the baby, but keeping the bathwater.

I see your point.

Dad2-4

What I saw tonight in one place: ???
White shirt-gray pants combo with blue epaulets.
White shirt-gray pants combo with black tie.
Blue blazer combo but with black blazer.
Two young officers/ former cadets with folding tactical knives clipped to their blues pants pockets.
All of the above received awards for various things, accepted one for someone else, or was helping present them.

jeders

Quote from: Dad2-4 on December 02, 2007, 02:56:13 AM
What I saw tonight in one place: ???
White shirt-gray pants combo with blue epaulets.
White shirt-gray pants combo with black tie.
Blue blazer combo but with black blazer.
Two young officers/ former cadets with folding tactical knives clipped to their blues pants pockets.
All of the above received awards for various things, accepted one for someone else, or was helping present them.

wow
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

jimmydeanno

You know what I think is rather ironic?

You have two people standing next to each other wearing the same uniform, but one is wearing something different than the other one and neither of them have the sense to say..."Why's yours look different than mine?"
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

PaulR

From my days in, I biggest infractions were poor grooming :P and obese members wearing(or rather squeezing) into the AF style uniform.  Nothing like the sound of buttons flying through the air at high velocity! lol

Duke Dillio

Quote from: Stonewall on November 30, 2007, 05:42:37 AM
Quote from: Stonewall on November 30, 2007, 04:19:21 AM
2.  Wearing things people shouldn't, like berets.  Usually for one reason only, because they think they look cool.

Heck yeah!  Can't beat it!

Image removed to protect the innocent...

Did someone order a pizza?

Smokey

What with this beret thing...

The Monica Lewinsky look went out when [redacted by admin] Clinton left office.   >:D

--Edited by Pylon for content
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

Major Carrales

Quote from: Smokey on December 02, 2007, 06:02:15 PM
What with this beret thing...

The Monica Lewinsky look went out when [redacted by admin] Clinton left office.   >:D

--Edited by Pylon for content

William Jefferson Clinton, also known as William "Bill" Jefferson Clinton...naughty!!!
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

jb512

Thus, I will always be a proponent for enforcing the proper wear of all uniforms...

If someone looks like crap in an AF uniform, they're not going to magically look professional in a corporate one.

DrJbdm