Common Uniform Infractions?

Started by Snake Doctor, November 29, 2007, 07:55:51 PM

Hawk200

Maybe I should cut and paste into his thread.

Eclipse

You're also to use ideas from this, though you will notice its is woefully out of date.

Playing "spot the problem" gets them in the mood to be looking for infractions as a matter of course.

http://group22.net/files/presentations/il245_uniform_2004_updated_10_feb_2004.ppt

I did this two times in a row at conferences and it was well received in the spirit it was intended.  You'll notice I fogged the faces of some people.

"That Others May Zoom"

SStradley

Quote from: Eclipse on November 30, 2007, 02:31:56 AM
You're also to use ideas from this, though you will notice its is woefully out of date.

Playing "spot the problem" gets them in the mood to be looking for infractions as a matter of course.

http://group22.net/files/presentations/il245_uniform_2004_updated_10_feb_2004.ppt

I did this two times in a row at conferences and it was well received in the spirit it was intended.  You'll notice I fogged the faces of some people.

I tried to look at the power point but it needs a password.
Scott Stradley Maj, CAP

"Duty is the sublimest word in the English language."  R.E. Lee

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: SStradley on November 30, 2007, 03:08:39 AMI tried to look at the power point but it needs a password.

Only to edit the presentation. Click 'Read Only' and it'll work fine.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

LtCol Hooligan

Try pressing read only.  Eclipse- is there anyway we can save a copy of it?  I could view it, but not save it!!
ERIK C. LUDLOW, Lt Col, CAP
Director of IT; Director of Cadet Programs
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.ndcap.us

Major Carrales

Quote from: Snake Doctor on November 29, 2007, 07:55:51 PM
Ok everyone, I'm working on a list for my Group Newsletter.

Please help.

Thanks.

Could you send me a copy of said article so I can print it in my Weekly Squadron Newsletter?  All credit will be given.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Eclipse

You should be able to right click the above link and "save as", if that doesn't work, go
here: http://group22.net/files

and do the save-as from there.

It has a password on it because I didn't want anyone chaning things and leaving my name on it - I would provide it to you guys, but to my embarrassment we don't know what it is, and the only copies we have are locked.   :'(

As I said, the basic form is still pretty good, and a lot of the data is still correct, but its also pre a LOT of changes and so it woefully out of date.

If I come up with it, I'll PM you.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

The other thing I am noticing as I reiview this for the first time in a couple of years, is several mistakes, or incorrect nomenclature.

(i.e. references to class "A/B", wearing a hat with mess dress, etc.).

I'm hoping to update this for a conference in the Spring, and all that will be fixed.

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

Quote from: Eclipse on November 29, 2007, 08:58:44 PM
There are still some older threads on Cadetstuff which contain the most common ones, including photos.

Part I:  http://forums.cadetstuff.org/viewtopic.php?t=1067

Part II:  http://forums.cadetstuff.org/viewtopic.php?t=5236

Part III:  http://forums.cadetstuff.org/viewtopic.php?t=6059

Like any CAP uniform thread, things often get out of hand.  If you look through these threads, you'll find a lot dead links to pictures, but with like 100 pages, you're bound to find as many pictures as you'll need for your class.  Some pages are just responses to dumb arguments, others "quote" other pictures time and time again.  But it does make for an interesting read.
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

Going back to the original question, I have two common infractions I'd like to point out.

1.  Lots and lots of people, mostly cadets, tend to wear some of their uniform before it's complete.  Time and time again, even in CAP News and the Volunteer, you'll see people in BDUs missing nametapes, rank or patches.

2.  Wearing things people shouldn't, like berets.  Usually for one reason only, because they think they look cool.
Serving since 1987.

Major Lord

1) Boots tucked instead of bloused.
2) " Ranger Rolled" patrol caps
3) Aerosmith black T-shirts under BDU's
4) Sleeves rolled 4 inches above elbows so cadets can show off their 19 inch guns...
5) Obese senior members wearing AF style uniforms that look like sausage casings....
6) State Military reserve, salvation Army, or ACA uniforms worn to CAP activities.
7) Queer eye for the straight guy-inspired multi-color squadron caps.
8) Is that a pledge pin on your uniform?!!!

Major Lord

Disabled smileys -MIKE
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Stonewall

Quote from: Stonewall on November 30, 2007, 04:19:21 AM
2.  Wearing things people shouldn't, like berets.  Usually for one reason only, because they think they look cool.

Heck yeah!  Can't beat it!

Serving since 1987.

JCW0312

Quote from: Major Lord on November 30, 2007, 04:54:35 AM
6) State Military reserve, salvation Army, or ACA uniforms worn to CAP activities.

ACA? What's that?
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
Memphis Belle Memorial Squadron
SER-TN-144

JCW0312

Quote from: Stonewall on November 30, 2007, 05:42:37 AM
Quote from: Stonewall on November 30, 2007, 04:19:21 AM

Heck yeah!  Can't beat it!

Say it isn't so. Please tell me you found some random person at the grocery store and asked her to put on a uniform & beret for a funny picture.
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
Memphis Belle Memorial Squadron
SER-TN-144

Major Carrales

I'm going to make the following remark as a sort of Public Service Announcement, please don't get offended by any supposed tone you may find in it.  I would be remiss if I did not mention it and you would likewise be remiss not to consider it.

Let's not start the "unbecoming" remarks and posts of photos.  As a Public Affairs Officer let me say that these "public displays of ridicule" and "making sport of" only servce to harm CAP's image by collecting countless examples of "wrongs" in one place.  Also, making fun of fellow CAP officers and Cadets without correction of the issue (and without their knowledge) may well be an integrity issue.

So, having said that...just consider that when posting such things here or anywhere on the web.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

jimmydeanno

Quote from: JCW0312 on November 30, 2007, 05:58:35 AM
Quote from: Major Lord on November 30, 2007, 04:54:35 AM

ACA? What's that?

American Cadet Alliance: www.militarycadets.org
QuoteFounded in 1909, the ACA holds the distinction of being the oldest and longest-serving Cadet organization in the United States.  Veterans of the Corps of Cadets include senior military officers, public officials and business leaders.  All members of the American Cadet Alliance, past and present, have the common bond of pride in their country and a strong belief in its founding principles
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Dragoon

Quote from: Eclipse on November 29, 2007, 09:29:13 PM
Quote from: Dragoon on November 29, 2007, 09:06:43 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on November 29, 2007, 08:48:16 PM
Quote from: Dragoon on November 29, 2007, 08:06:44 PM
5.  BDU style pants with golf shirt

Are you referring to actual camo BDU pants, or gray pants with cargo pockets.

'Cause if they are gray cotton twill with cargo pockets, they are fine.

Admittedly cargo pockets aren't specifically excluded.  However, can you point me at cotton twill grey BDUs?  All I've found are poly/cotton, which would not be authorized.  (Yup, I know that's splitting hairs, but so is wearing field pants with a uniform that is specified in 39-1 as the equivalent of short sleeve service dress).

I've actually seen members wearing bloused >DRESS PANTS<  ::) with their golf shirt - and this wasn't even in a field environment.

But cotton twill cargos are pretty common, and I've even seen some members with  wool-blend trousers that have cargo pockets.

What I'm referring to would be similar to this:

These would be compliant as they are 100% cotton, however, I don't see any reason why a poly/cotton tactical pant would not be acceptable, "twill" is simply the reference to a weave pattern.   I don't see anything in the regs which dictate the actual material as being 100% cotton.

And I also don't see the golf shirt being analogous to corporate service dress - that's the aviator whites.  The golf shirt is a casual work uniform, and as been point out on other threads, the (relatively recent) change to the pant reg makes it a pretty good field uniform, especially for base ops.

Yup, those would meet the letter of the law.  Gray BDU pants would not.

And while I completely agree with you on the golf shirt's use for light work duty, that's not what 39-1 says.  Whether we agree or not, it's the equivalent of short sleeve service dress.

Eclipse

Quote from: Dragoon on November 30, 2007, 01:59:25 PM

And while I completely agree with you on the golf shirt's use for light work duty, that's not what 39-1 says.  Whether we agree or not, it's the equivalent of short sleeve service dress.

Can you cite on that?  I can't find anything that really defines what the golf shirt "is".

"That Others May Zoom"

Bluelakes 13

I was recently at a large USAF convention.  Hundreds, perhaps thousands, of USAF officers and enlisted blokes were there.  Probably every USAF General that was stateside.  There were about 5-6 CAP members, all in dress blues. 

One looked like they slept in their uniform.

One was clearly overweight for wearing the uniform.

One was wearing their nametag on the wrong side.

Thus, I will always be a proponent for CAP dumping USAF-style uniforms...

Major Lord

Remember the PAO on the Fosset mission?  She showed up on CNN with wrong patches, and big hoop earrings on with her flight suit. I am afraid Major Carrales, that she has forever usurped PAO's of any moral authority on this issue! I just have one question on the Major with the Beret: WTF?

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."