Wear of CG Aux ribbons on CAP uniform

Started by RiverAux, November 15, 2007, 11:07:08 PM

RiverAux

While reading the recent threads on SDF decorations and whether or not they could be worn on a CAP uniform, I had an interesting thought:

CAPM 39-1 says this:
Quote5-4. Military Service Awards. Military service ribbons may be worn on the CAP AF-style uniform provided they were awarded in writing by competent military authority. Awards of the Air Force, Army, Navy, Marine Corps, or Coast Guard will be worn in the order prescribed by the awarding service, subject to the following: In all cases of relative priority, Air Force awards will take precedence. See Table 5-3. Awards for wars, campaigns, expeditions etc., will be worn in chronological sequence.

I think most people would agree that this would allow CAP members who earned CG awards while serving as a member of the CG Aux to wear those CG ribbons.  However, if one were so inclined you interpret this as also allowing the wear of ribbons specific to the CG Auxiliary provided that they were awarded by a CG officer.  The thing that most CAP members wouldn't realize is that almost all CG Aux ribbons are approved by CG officers of one type or another.  Usually it is the CG equivalent of the CAP State Director's employed by the AF but it can also be by commanders of various CG units that the Aux might be supporting. 

Now, you could argue that this clause is for Military Service ribbons and since the CG Aux is not a military organization then ribbons specific to the CG Auxiliary are not Military Service Ribbons even though they can only be awarded by the military. 

However, you could counter-argue that while the CG Aux is not a military organization, CG Aux ribbons are authorized and approved only by military regulation (FYI, CG Aux regulations are all "real" CG regulations approved by the Commandant -- in other words, the CG Aux doesn't write its own regulations like CAP does) so therefore they are Military Service Ribbons that just happen to only be awarded for service in the CG Auxiliary.

As I don't wear any ribbons from either CAP or CG Aux (though I've earned many of both), it doesn't matter to me personally.  However, if I were to get my CAP ribbon rack in shape, despite my argument above I would probably just include my CG ribbons and leave off the CG Aux ribbons --- mostly to just avoid the appearance of being a ribbon hog. 

Just thought that an interesting argument could be made on the issue.   

MIKE

The other relevent cite:

Quote from: CAPR 39-3SECTION A 3. b. Decorations, ribbons, and badges authorized for
wear on the US Air Force uniform may be worn on the
CAP uniform when earned through qualification and
awarded by competent authority to a member for service
performed in any branch of the Armed Forces of the
United States or its allies. (Foreign decorations, ribbons,
badges, etc., awarded in writing to a member not in the
Armed Forces of the United States may also be worn if
approved by National Headquarters.) Aeronautical
badges, emblems, insignia, ribbons, etc., given by a
foreign government, or agency, as souvenirs or emblems
of friendship do not qualify as earned awards and will not
be worn on the CAP uniform. All cases where doubt
exists as to the propriety of a badge, medal or other
device being worn will be referred to National
Headquarters for decision.

See also: COMDTINST M16790.1F Chapter 11 Section B.
Mike Johnston

ddelaney103

While they may be awards awarded by "competent military authority," they are not military awards.

They're not alone.  When I left Army Civilian service, I was awarded the Army's Achievement Medal for Civilian Service.  This is an Army award given by an Army Colonel, but I can't wear it in the Guard or CAP because it is not a military award.

So, CG awards? OK. CGAUX awards? Sorry.

MIKE

For the record.  I think legitimate USCG awards awarded to Auxiliarists should be authorized since someone who is also the military can wear these awards earned as an Auxie if they get the appropriate paperwork associated with the award.  The relevant awards can be found at the above link... with the exception of the CGPUC which is now also authorized.
Mike Johnston

RiverAux

As we've noted before in other discussions there is a conflict between 39-1 and 39-3 but since 39-1 claims to be the sole authority in regards to what can be worn on a uniform, I take it at its word and assume that 39-3 will be brought into line with it at some point in the future. 

davedove

Quote from: ddelaney103 on November 15, 2007, 11:19:30 PM
While they may be awards awarded by "competent military authority," they are not military awards.

They're not alone.  When I left Army Civilian service, I was awarded the Army's Achievement Medal for Civilian Service.  This is an Army award given by an Army Colonel, but I can't wear it in the Guard or CAP because it is not a military award.

Interestingly enough, you can wear them on the Army uniform.  From AR 670-1:

c. U.S. non-military decorations. U.S. non-military decorations authorized for wear on Army uniforms are listed below in their order of precedence. Personnel will wear other U.S. non-military (Federal agency) decorations based upon date of receipt. If more than one decoration is awarded by the same agency, the decorations are worn in the order of precedence, as established by the awarding agency. Personnel will not wear U.S. non-military decorations that duplicate recognition for service or an act for which a military decoration has already been awarded. Awards given by a jurisdiction inferior to the Federal Government are not authorized for wear on the Army uniform, except as specified in paragraph j, below.

One of the awards specifically listed is the Achievement Medal for Civilian Service.  In fact, since it doesn't specify a department, one could wear the civilian awards given from any department.  So, Air Force civilian awards could be worn on the Army uniform, but Army (or even Air Force) awards could not be worn on the AF uniform. ???

The Air Force only allows such medals if they were awarded for military service, which is ironic as if it were for military service, the person would probably get a military medal.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

John Bryan

"Military Service Awards"....this leads to a follow up questions , what about the other "Uniformed Services".....could a NOAA or USPHS Officer wear ribbons or badges awarded by NOAA or PHS on their CAP uniform.

In addition to Military vs uniformed , what about the word service....I have a friend who is a nurse in the USPHS and they have ribbons for things like joining the Reserve Officers Assc and other non-service awards. In fact his bottom 3 ribbons on his PHS uniform are for belonging to different groups. For the record they do have some that need to be earned as well ;D

arajca

Ladies and gentlemen, may I direct your attention to CAPM 39-1, Table 5-3, Box 42, which reads "42. United States Nonmilitary Decorations".

I would think ths USGC Aux awards would fall into that category, as well as any DoD civilian awards.

John Bryan

In reading the posts on the SDF and USCG Aux awards I am surprised by some of the lack of respect for those organizations awards and the organizations themselves. I mean yeah they are non military, volunteer, do gooder groups who are not in the real military and all.....but then again what are we...you'd think we would have a respect for other like minded people.

mikeylikey

Quote from: John Bryan on November 19, 2007, 05:37:19 PM
In reading the posts on the SDF and USCG Aux awards I am surprised by some of the lack of respect for those organizations awards and the organizations themselves. I mean yeah they are non military, volunteer, do gooder groups who are not in the real military and all.....but then again what are we...you'd think we would have a respect for other like minded people.

Well said!
What's up monkeys?

arajca

Not all sdf's recognize awards from other sdf's, so should CAP recognize them?

Don't forget the quality of the sdf programs differs between states as well, at for those states that have them. CA and TX appear to be at the highly professional end of the spectrum while some others are at the opposite end. Then there are the wannabe sdf's - those whose states laws provide for an sdf, but whose governors have not established one, CO for example. So a group decides to establish their own, but have NO legal recognition. Also, CAP does not allow the wear of state NG ribbons and awards, so why should it allow the wear of sdf ribbons and awards?

ddelaney103

Quote from: davedove on November 19, 2007, 02:50:00 PM
Quote from: ddelaney103 on November 15, 2007, 11:19:30 PM

Interestingly enough, you can wear them on the Army uniform.  From AR 670-1:

c. U.S. non-military decorations. U.S. non-military decorations authorized for wear on Army uniforms are listed below in their order of precedence. Personnel will wear other U.S. non-military (Federal agency) decorations based upon date of receipt. If more than one decoration is awarded by the same agency, the decorations are worn in the order of precedence, as established by the awarding agency. Personnel will not wear U.S. non-military decorations that duplicate recognition for service or an act for which a military decoration has already been awarded. Awards given by a jurisdiction inferior to the Federal Government are not authorized for wear on the Army uniform, except as specified in paragraph j, below.

One of the awards specifically listed is the Achievement Medal for Civilian Service.  In fact, since it doesn't specify a department, one could wear the civilian awards given from any department.  So, Air Force civilian awards could be worn on the Army uniform, but Army (or even Air Force) awards could not be worn on the AF uniform. ???

The Air Force only allows such medals if they were awarded for military service, which is ironic as if it were for military service, the person would probably get a military medal.

This rule is to cover org's that an Airman might be posted that give their own awards.  Two examples are the CIA and NASA.

CAPOfficer

This discussion seems to have two parts; (1) United States Coast Guard awards presented to members of their auxiliary while in performance of their duties and (2) United States Coast Guard Auxiliary awards, presented to their members in accordance with their directives.

According to CAP Manual 39-1, Para. 5-4. Military Service Awards.  Military service ribbons may be worn on the CAP AF-style uniform provided they were awarded in writing by competent military authority.  Awards of the Air Force, Army, Navy, Marine Corps, or Coast Guard will be worn in the order prescribed by the awarding service, subject to the following: In all cases of relative priority, Air Force awards will take precedence.  See Table 5-3. Awards for wars, campaigns, expeditions etc., will be worn in chronological sequence.

Understanding when the U.S. Coast Guard presents their decorations to members of their auxiliary, they issue them via written Coast Guard documentation/certificates; therefore, the requirement given in CAPM 39-1 has been met, e.g. military authority, in writing.  No where does it suggest the award must be earned as a U.S. Coast Guard member in difference to a member of their auxiliary.

Now when one of their members receive a Coast Guard Auxiliary award, those are not authorized to be worn on the CAP Uniform simply because it is not a U.S. Coast Guard award or presented in writing by a recognized entity of the Armed Forces.

Look at it this way, during WWII, a few Civil Air Patrol members were presented with Air Medals for their services/heroism for their individual efforts/actions taken on behalf of our country.  These military awards were presented to non-members of the armed forces.  According to some of those who have posted here, these members are "not" authorized to wear these awards simply because they were not serving in the armed forces when the awards were bestowed.

Another way of looking at it would be, what if these same members later became members of one branch or another of the armed forces; would they not be authorized to wear that air medal previously presented?  My answer would be "yes".

Therefore, to say a member who receives an honor from one branch of the armed forces cannot wear that honor in another branch (even if it was awarded while serving in an auxiliary), is totally incorrect.  Otherwise, you would also have to say that the air medals earned by our members in WWII were worthless in the eyes of our parent organization (armed forces) and thus of no more value than those honors received/presented today by other branches of the armed forces.

Here's one more, what about the Department of the Army Commander's Award for Public Service presented to seven of our members out in Iowa for their achievement between the state and Civil Air Patrol; do we allow them to wear their awards or because they are not members of the Army, they cannot?

My guess is they wear the award proudly.

JayT

Who cares if they wear them proudly or not? It's a matter of if they should. (By the way, I agree with you.)

I think a lot of people on this forum what to view CAP, USCGAux, the SDFs, etc etc etc, as..........how do I put this? A lot of people want to view these auxiliary and support services are their own, equal world. Sometimes, it gets pretty childish. CAP, the CGAux, and the SDFs are not the military. To me at least, wearing a CGAux ribbon on your CAP uniform and vice versa would be the same as a JROTC cadet wanting to wear an boyscout medal on his uniform. They all mean something to somebody, but you don't need to mix them. The SDFs are even worst. It appears many of them are three or so steps above being shot gun militas. If I remember correctly from an article I read about the New York Guard, it's little more then a headquarters with a few shell units designed to be filled by an influx of volunteers in the case of national emergency. So if they can't even figure out a usefull system accross the country, why should CAP recognize them?

I'm a nineteen year old Flight Officer. I was a cadet with over twenty ribbons a few months ago. I never actually wore all of my ribbons at one time. They just don't mean that much to me.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

RiverAux

QuoteNow when one of their members receive a Coast Guard Auxiliary award, those are not authorized to be worn on the CAP Uniform simply because it is not a U.S. Coast Guard award or presented in writing by a recognized entity of the Armed Forces.
Actually almost all CG Auxiliary ribbons are individually approved by a CG officer.  This fact is one of the reasons I brought the topic up in the first place.

ddelaney103

Quote from: CAPOfficer on November 20, 2007, 01:01:25 AM

Here's one more, what about the Department of the Army Commander's Award for Public Service presented to seven of our members out in Iowa for their achievement between the state and Civil Air Patrol; do we allow them to wear their awards or because they are not members of the Army, they cannot?

I hope they wear their award proudly - just not in a CAP uniform.

These are the rules from "big blue" not CAP.  You will not wear a non-military award (and the ACA for PS is an award for civilians) unless it is earned for military duties.  Since CAP is not military for this purpose, you can't wear it.

We had a similar situation in MD.  Some S/M's were awarded the Maryland Commendation Medal by TAG.  State military medals, however, are not authorized for the CAP uniform.  They can mount them in a shadowbox and add it to the "I love me" wall, but they can't wear it.

Sorry.

mikeylikey

Quote from: ddelaney103 on November 20, 2007, 04:42:08 AM
Quote from: CAPOfficer on November 20, 2007, 01:01:25 AM

I hope they wear their award proudly - just not in a CAP uniform.

These are the rules from "big blue" not CAP.  You will not wear a non-military award (and the ACA for PS is an award for civilians) unless it is earned for military duties.  Since CAP is not military for this purpose, you can't wear it.

We had a similar situation in MD.  Some S/M's were awarded the Maryland Commendation Medal by TAG.  State military medals, however, are not authorized for the CAP uniform.  They can mount them in a shadowbox and add it to the "I love me" wall, but they can't wear it.

Sorry.

That should change.  CAP members should be allowed to wear NG and State awards.  That is saying "your military service was not as good as that Active Duty Guy over there".

Who Cares I guess.
What's up monkeys?

RogueLeader

The Actives are saying "Your State isn't as good as our Federal"  So what, send a proposal to change it.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

jb512

The RM lets equal military wear their earned ribbons, so we should let equal auxiliaries wear ribbons.

USA - USAF - USN - USMC - USCG = wear ribbons earned

USAFAUX - USCGAUX = wear ribbons earned

Simple.

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: jaybird512 on November 20, 2007, 05:31:27 AM
The RM lets equal military wear their earned ribbons, so we should let equal auxiliaries wear ribbons.

USA - USAF - USN - USMC - USCG = wear ribbons earned

USAFAUX - USCGAUX = wear ribbons earned

Simple.

Except USAF-AUX UNIFORMS are controlled by the USAF (which says its cooler then us and cooler to the Nth degree then the USCG Aux)  ::)
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student